Around the League: Hockey Is In the Air...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
we had every network talking about Matthews smashing the glass behind the goals in practice, They are excited and it seems justifiably so let them have it.

I don't mind them having it, it was not a Sabres thread, I believe it was a general thread. I just think poor kid to be honest

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Maybe wishful thinking but I'm starting to think the delay in Rick Nash finding a team means there's an actual chance of him joining the Leafs on a 1 year deal. Dubas hinted that there were veteran(s) who had inquired about a one year deal to join the Leafs.

Then why the delay? How about that Nash's salary will depend upon the outcomes of Nylander's and Johnsson's contracts.

Is he something the Leafs could use? Of course. A big body who's got great speed and power with a great scoring touch. He would fill a hole on the wing that JVR vacated.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Maybe wishful thinking but I'm starting to think the delay in Rick Nash finding a team means there's an actual chance of him joining the Leafs on a 1 year deal. Dubas hinted that there were veteran(s) who had inquired about a one year deal to join the Leafs.

Then why the delay? How about that Nash's salary will depend upon the outcomes of Nylander's and Johnsson's contracts.

Is he something the Leafs could use? Of course. A big body who's got great speed and power with a great scoring touch. He would fill a hole on the wing that JVR vacated.

because he doesn't know if he wants to retire.

Reactions: IBeL34f

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

His last concussion made him think twice about returning apparently

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

If Rick Nash wants to sign a Tyler Ennis style deal that would be acceptable.

I actually feel like teams have gotten smarter about unrestricted free agency. Feels like that baseball collusion where after the really prime free agents go teams just wait for veterans to get desperate and invite them to camp on a PTO.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I saw somewhere a rumor that Maroon was gonna sign in st Louis for like 2 million on a 1 year deal. I'd do a 2 year 3-3.5 million dollar deal if he was willing.

Put him on Tavares wing with Marner as the big net front guy. He has turned a few of those kind of guys into 30+-goal scorers.
Idealy...
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Maroon Tavares Marner
Marleau Kadri Kappanen
Johnsson Lindholm Brown
Ennis/ Leivo

Next summer move Marleau and bump Johnsson to full time 3rd line, and trade Maroon after a year of his value being pumped up for a young D in a package with Brown.

If he is having a good season at the deadline and somehow we are out of the playoffs, move him as well.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I saw somewhere a rumor that Maroon was gonna sign in st Louis for like 2 million on a 1 year deal. I'd do a 2 year 3-3.5 million dollar deal if he was willing.

Put him on Tavares wing with Marner as the big net front guy. He has turned a few of those kind of guys into 30+-goal scorers.
Idealy...
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Maroon Tavares Marner
Marleau Kadri Kappanen
Johnsson Lindholm Brown
Ennis/ Leivo

Next summer move Marleau and bump Johnsson to full time 3rd line, and trade Maroon after a year of his value being pumped up for a young D in a package with Brown.

If he is having a good season at the deadline and somehow we are out of the playoffs, move him as well.

Not even McDavid could turn Maroon into a 30 goal scorer. Just sayin'. Just as well putting Leivo in and saving the money for defense.

Reactions: carko32

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Agreed

Something to consider also is that with low Florida state tax EK could take $8.5 mil contract and AAV and still take home the same $$$ in his bank account as making $11 mil in another state with higher tax rates. TB, Vegas and Dallas are the 3 finalist because they have the 3 lowest taxes in their states.

If EK at the Stamkos deal of $8.5 mil + Hedman at $7.8 mil = Stammer + Ek + VH = $24.8 mil combined (= a Rocket Richard capable forward and 2 X Norris Dmen).
vs
JT @ $11 mil + AM @ $11 mil AAV = $22 mil for 2 players. Willie and Mitch = $15 combined .

I'm sorry, but no agent will agree to that type of math. Today you take discount in contract, tomorrow your ass is traded to high tax state/province and you lose your shorts.

Reactions: Menzinger

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm sorry, but no agent will agree to that type of math. Today you take discount in contract, tomorrow your ass is traded to high tax state/province and you lose your shorts.

Thankfully for players their agents negotiate these things called no movement clauses and no trade clauses for their clients and almost certain Karlsson will have a full NMC. :)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Thankfully for players their agents negotiate these things called no movement clauses and no trade clauses for their clients and almost certain Karlsson will have a full NMC. :)

are you also missing the fact that Karlsson flat out said he wanted to be paid. it doesn't matter if get gets less for state taxes. Doughty got 11 there is no way Karlsson is gonna be like "yah sure, 8.5 is a-okay with me"

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
And players are regularly asked to lift them, so no. He will get paid. I seriously doubt it is in Florida.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
So kucherov gets 9.5m which includes UFA years. Sportsnet better stfu now about marner getting 10+m if kucherov only gets 9.5m.

Reactions: TML1967

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If Marner is making more than 7 and Nylander more than 7, we're in trouble. Also, if Kuch is at 9.5, I would hope Matthews is lower, but that seems impossible now.

Tampa way overapaid for Mcdonagh but just made it all back and more with this contract.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So kucherov gets 9.5m which includes UFA years. Sportsnet better **** now about marner getting 10+m if kucherov only gets 9.5m.

Kucherov signs eight-year, $76M extension with Lightning

Nikita Kucherov has signed an eight-year, $76 million extension with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Kucherov, who was set to be a restricted free agent for the final time next summer, will carry a $9.5 million AAV in each year of the deal. He carries a cap hit of $4.76 million for the 2018-19 season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
And players are regularly asked to lift them, so no. He will get paid. I seriously doubt it is in Florida.

But the key point is the player controls his own fate. If he signs a discount contract with a NMC he controls his own fate. Nobody can force him to waive it.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Kucherov's contract definitely helps bring down any expectations on Marner's contract. Unless he wins a Hart next year with a 90 point season, this likely caps him out around $8m.

JuanSnow

Mar 5, 2016
Kucherov's contract definitely helps bring down any expectations on Marner's contract. Unless he wins a Hart next year with a 90 point season, this likely caps him out around $8m.

Even if he wins the hart he should be closer to 7 or 7.5, his contract will include 3 RFA years while this is an 8 year UFA deal.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Even if he wins the hart he should be closer to 7 or 7.5, his contract will include 3 RFA years while this is an 8 year UFA deal.

Unless Dubas is a dummy and gives Maner $8.5 million like the way Chiarelli gave Draisaitl $8.5 million. Man...McDavid and Draisaitl are clearly both overpaid at $12.5 and $8.5 million respectively as RFA's when Kucherov only got $9.5 million as a UFA.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Tampa can sign a Karlsson deal depending on how much he wants. 10x5 is doable.
Karlsson could then do one more deal.
Trading Callahan and looking Girard and Coburn to free agency opens up 12.5 million for next year.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I really think Nylander cones in around 7 x 8, Marner 7x8 and Matthews 9x8.
Divas sells them a bit on keeping the band together and having money left over to acquire an elite D or two.
Convinces the trio that having Tavares Marner and Matthews Nylander as two top 10Cs with two potential top 20Ws is gonna be hard to stop if they have money for competent D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad