Around the League 43

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Maatta if deployed properly will be a more valuable addition than what Dzingel would be.

Me personally if I knew I could get Dzingel at that hit and term I'd have paired AA with a second round pick to ship out to someone like Arizona after we paid his bonus.

This.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
I guessed on here that he would sign in Chicago on a sweetheart deal for 2 years @ 3.5 each. Carolina got him for even cheaper. Good on them. He is good.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I guessed on here that he would sign in Chicago on a sweetheart deal for 2 years @ 3.5 each. Carolina got him for even cheaper. Good on them. He is good.
i too wanted him, but recent moves by the org, i doubt it would happen.

still think they need another scorer.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Marner is a great player, but he spent this last year on the wing of a guy that has made everybody from Matt Moulson to Kyle Okposo rich. He's not worth what Matthews is worth, nor what his linemate Tavares is worth.

He'll hold out and eventually accept somewhere between 9 and 10.5 million.

Marner's progress has been awesome to watch. I see it as the other way around: it is Marner who made the TO offense click. No matter who his linemates were he was noticeable virtually every shift. He is the Leafs version of Kane only he plays better defensively. Who can blame him for wanting the same (or more) money as any Leaf?

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Marner's progress has been awesome to watch. I see it as the other way around: it is Marner who made the TO offense click. No matter who his linemates were he was noticeable virtually every shift. He is the Leafs version of Kane only he plays better defensively. Who can blame him for wanting the same (or more) money as any Leaf?

So is he signed yet? or is his agent still working towards a huge deal?

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
A lot of leafs fans are saying they would rather have 4 first round picks than Marner. Would you have taken that trade for Kane in 2010?

I’m thinking that would have been a no from me then, and I can’t see why leafs fans would want that now

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Funny how Tavares is the reason Marner is good, yet Tavares has a career year with Marner by his side.

Id take Marner over Tavares, and right up there with Matthews.

I mean, I'd take Marner over Tavares going forward based on age alone, but that doesn't mean I'd pay Marner, who has one season to his credit above 70 points (which happened to be on Tavares' wing) as much or more than a proven producer at a more important position. And that's before taking RFA vs UFA into consideration.

I maintain my position that he won't sign an offer sheet, because he wants to stay in Toronto.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
A lot of leafs fans are saying they would rather have 4 first round picks than Marner. Would you have taken that trade for Kane in 2010?

I’m thinking that would have been a no from me then, and I can’t see why leafs fans would want that now

Depends on who the 1st round picks are from.

If we had traded Kane to the Oilers, we could have had Hall or Seguin, Nugent-Hopkins or Landeskog, and a decent lottery shot at the likes of Mackinnon or Barkov, plus whatever we got in 2012 depending on how intelligent or off-the-board they went.

Hindsight is 20/20, and we know that with Kane we won 3 cups. So you don't make that trade. You take the success, and put aside ideas of what a Blackhawks team with Hall, RNH, Mackinnon and say, Forsberg could have done (in addition to all their own picks, either to use as they did, or trade for more assets).

But the Leafs haven't won anything with Marner. If a team that offer sheets him (and he signs it) looks like a team that will give you 4 high lottery picks, then yeah, you have to consider taking that.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
But the Leafs haven't won anything with Marner. If a team tht offer sheets him (and he signs it) looks like a team that will give you 4 high lottery picks, then yeah, you have to consider taking that.

Add in the fact that keeping Marner would also mean being in "salary cap hell" for the foreseeable future, letting him walk and getting the 4 1st rd picks (ie cheap contracts)--regardless of who they are from---becomes the smart play.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Podcast day - any topic requests?

I haven't had a chance to listen to your podcast yet (being a dad is time-consuming, who'd've thunk it?), but if you haven't done it a tiered discussion on possibly lesser-known Rockford guys that you'd think should and could make the jump permanently and guys that you think could be temp call ups for illness or injuries would be neat.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I haven't had a chance to listen to your podcast yet (being a dad is time-consuming, who'd've thunk it?), but if you haven't done it a tiered discussion on possibly lesser-known Rockford guys that you'd think should and could make the jump permanently and guys that you think could be temp call ups for illness or injuries would be neat.

Kinda covered it last week. Plan to do more probably next week :)

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Reactions: CourtneyDagger50
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad