Around the League 43

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
STILL no Marner offersheet

Yeah, hopefully the teams are not taking a collective stand against rising contracts as happened in MLB this year. The players still have a card to play if this gets dragged out too long. They can demand a trade. If someone like Marner refuses to play for the Leafs and gets traded, it should scare the other teams into signing their players.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Marner isn't getting offer-sheeted. And even in the miniscule chance he is, he's not signing it. He wants to stay in Toronto, he's not going to risk them walking away and leaving him to whatever outpost offer-sheets him.

The negotiation is going to drag to the deadline, just like Nylander. Cause he wants Matthews money, but the Leafs cannot and should not give it to him cause wingers simply aren't worth as much as centers, let alone centers that score 40 goals a year.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
RIP Greg Johnson. Second member of the 98-99 Hawks to die in the past few months. Preds snatched him in the expansion draft right afterwards and he eventually became their captain.

Reactions: plank

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
[QUOTE="JaegerDice, post: 163119963, member: 242027”]

The negotiation is going to drag to the deadline, just like Nylander. Cause he wants Matthews money, but the Leafs cannot and should not give it to him cause wingers simply aren't worth as much as centers, let alone centers that score 40 goals a year.[/QUOTE]

Believe what you want but numerous examples prove that just isn’t true... Toews and Kane, Ovi and Backstrom, Johanson and Forsberg, Kucherov and Stammer, Monahan and Gaudreau the list goes on, not saying wingers are more valuable but rather they hold the same value.

I think he deserves just as much as Matthews. Matthews has had trouble staying healthy and was -9 this season. Meanwhile Marner’s missed 5 games in his career and was +22. I value centers more than wingers but you act like they’re miles apart because Marner plays wing and I just don’t get that. So what Matthews scores more goals, Marner helps the team score with his playmaking and availability.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
[QUOTE="JaegerDice, post: 163119963, member: 242027”]

The negotiation is going to drag to the deadline, just like Nylander. Cause he wants Matthews money, but the Leafs cannot and should not give it to him cause wingers simply aren't worth as much as centers, let alone centers that score 40 goals a year.

Believe what you want but numerous examples prove that just isn’t true... Toews and Kane, Ovi and Backstrom, Johanson and Forsberg, Kucherov and Stammer, Monahan and Gaudreau the list goes on, not saying wingers are more valuable but rather they hold the same value.

I think he deserves just as much as Matthews. Matthews has had trouble staying healthy and was -9 this season. Meanwhile Marner’s missed 5 games in his career and was +22. I value centers more than wingers but you act like they’re miles apart because Marner plays wing and I just don’t get that. So what Matthews scores more goals, Marner helps the team score with his playmaking and availability.

Marner is a great player, but he spent this last year on the wing of a guy that has made everybody from Matt Moulson to Kyle Okposo rich. He's not worth what Matthews is worth, nor what his linemate Tavares is worth.

He'll hold out and eventually accept somewhere between 9 and 10.5 million.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
Marner isn't getting offer-sheeted. And even in the miniscule chance he is, he's not signing it. He wants to stay in Toronto, he's not going to risk them walking away and leaving him to whatever outpost offer-sheets him.

I feel like the Leafs are saying "Here's what we can afford to pay you. According to your position and production, it's actually slightly above your market value. This is our offer." Meanwhile, Ferris and Paul Marner are crying about "tHE rOoKiE bONuSEs!"

Buying low on the Grabovski/MacArthur Leafs in 2011 was a horrible decision, because now I've invested too much time and energy into a team that constantly gets dunked on, even when they're good.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Marner is a great player, but he spent this last year on the wing of a guy that has made everybody from Matt Moulson to Kyle Okposo rich. He's not worth what Matthews is worth, nor what his linemate Tavares is worth.

He'll hold out and eventually accept somewhere between 9 and 10.5 million.

Thats true he did help those guys get paid, but thats kinda besides the point isn’t it? Marner’s obviously in a different tier. I think Marner and Tavares bring the best out in each other. Marner had a career year and Tavares scored 47 goals, 10 more than his previous best.

We’re not far off I think Marner ends up in 9.5-11.25 range, I just don’t think its fair to act like Marner because he plays wing with Tavares isn’t deserving of that pay when he technically outproduced him in points and helped him have such a great year.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
RIP Greg Johnson. Second member of the 98-99 Hawks to die in the past few months. Preds snatched him in the expansion draft right afterwards and he eventually became their captain.

Murray did him no favors hyping him up as another Steve Yzerman when he was breaking in with Wings. He set expectations he had no way of reaching

Then he was traded away during 96-97 season for Sandstrom who was worthless for Wings in playoff run and not even a shadow of his former self which had to sting for him (Like Amonte with Rangers)

RIP

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
Thats true he did help those guys get paid, but thats kinda besides the point isn’t it? Marner’s obviously in a different tier. I think Marner and Tavares bring the best out in each other. Marner had a career year and Tavares scored 47 goals, 10 more than his previous best.

We’re not far off I think Marner ends up in 9.5-11.25 range, I just don’t think its fair to act like Marner because he plays wing with Tavares isn’t deserving of that pay when he technically outproduced him in points and helped him have such a great year.
The market dictates that top-tier centers are worth more than top-tier wingers, which makes sense. Wingers are the most plentiful asset in the league. Very, very few natural wingers separate themselves from the pack enough to justify making as much as a top-tier center. Marner is a fun player to watch and he has great chemistry with JT, but that doesn't mean he's worth more than Nikita Kucherov or Artemi Panarin, especially not on a 5-year contract.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017

The Leafs can’t let Marner do what Nylander did because the Leafs will never be able to fit him in. When Nylander signed it made his cap hit for the year around 10M from the time he missed. It was fine then because they had plenty of space. They can’t let it happen with Marner because the cap hit would be something like 13-14M for just that year.

Reactions: Drumman44

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The Leafs can’t let Marner do what Nylander did because the Leafs will never be able to fit him in. When Nylander signed it made his cap hit for the year around 10M from the time he missed. It was fine then because they had plenty of space. They can’t let it happen with Marner because the cap hit would be something like 13-14M for just that year.

Why wouldn't his cap hit just be the $10-ish million he signs for?

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Why wouldn't his cap hit just be the $10-ish million he signs for?

Because the cap hit is spread throughout the season. If you miss time it’s adjusted for the games you play at the same salary making the cap hit higher because it’s spread across less games.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I do find this absolutely hilarious -

The Senators have $59 mil in contracts this season so far..

They have almost $20 mil of that in 3 goalies and 2 players on LTIR...you can't make this shit up if you tried lol...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
6.75 total? I'd have been all over that, especially for only 2 years.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
At that number I'd have been ok with Dzingel as well.

Unfortunately, the Blackhawks blew 4mil of space on Maata, so they couldn't fit Dzingel in.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
At that number I'd have been ok with Dzingel as well.

Unfortunately, the Blackhawks blew 4mil on Maata, who sucks, so they couldn't fit Dzingel in.

Maatta if deployed properly will be a more valuable addition than what Dzingel would be.

Me personally if I knew I could get Dzingel at that hit and term I'd have paired AA with a second round pick to ship out to someone like Arizona after we paid his bonus.

Reactions: ChiHawks10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad