Around the League 28: Expect the unexpected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
dom really likes to bang the dundon cheap drum

If you read the Devils write up, he considers the Hamilton deal “reasonable”.

If you consider that reasonable, there’s no other conclusion to reach than Carolina went cheap. Dom isn’t going to question his own assumption that Hamilton’s contract is reasonable.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don't think there's much argument against Dundon being cheap anymore. He's shown again and again that he's happy to wear that crown. And that's got nothing to do with overpaying Hamilton (although replacing him with a league minimum contract doesn't help that image), but more about how he handles contract "negotiations"

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
dom really likes to bang the dundon cheap drum
Someone on Twitter used the word "Wholesale" when describing how the Canes wheel and deal which just seemed perfect to me. Particularly, as someone from NC who grew up with those wholesale furniture ads on TV. The situation has that feel to me especially this off season.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Someone on Twitter used the word "Wholesale" when describing how the Canes wheel and deal which just seemed perfect to me. Particularly, as someone from NC who grew up with those wholesale furniture ads on TV. The situation has that feel to me especially this off season.

lol, I remember those. Works for the car business as well.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Canes took a tumble..more so with the fanbase than the public.

Took a tumble is one way to put it. The metrics show the fanbase is widely unhappy right now with the direction of the team. Its like 80% unhappy about the direction of the team right now, which... not great.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Dundon just agreed to pay Svech over $60mm in total. Biggest contract in Canes history. Its a good sign. I have been critical of Dundon having to "win" every contract negotiation. this seems pretty good for the player and the team. Let's wait and see on Tarasenko. I would like to see him here.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I don't think there's much argument against Dundon being cheap anymore. He's shown again and again that he's happy to wear that crown. And that's got nothing to do with overpaying Hamilton (although replacing him with a league minimum contract doesn't help that image), but more about how he handles contract "negotiations"

That take aged like spoiled milk on a 100 degree day :laugh: No team that gives Svechnikov that contract is cheap in any way. Doubly so if they use that cap certainty to acquire Tarasenko and once again become a cap ceiling club for yet another year.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That take aged like spoiled milk on a 100 degree day :laugh: No team that gives Svechnikov that contract is cheap in any way. Doubly so if they use that cap certainty to acquire Tarasenko and once again become a cap ceiling club for yet another year.
Cmon. It’s the second legit extension in three years and we’ve moved out or let go many players other teams might’ve kept.

We somehow pay to the cap and earn a bit of that “cheap” tag at the same time. This team wasn’t good enough as is and our coach said it himself after going to bat for them a year ago. Even if we have swapped out players effectively while saving money (remains to be seen) we aren’t better on paper. Let’s not make this extension look like genius work. It was the most obvious thing for us to want and do, we’re lucky the player was ok with it.

Let’s just be happy it’s done, wasn’t dragged out and was for not for a higher AAV.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
In reality, the Canes front office is not cheap. No club that spends to the cap every season since Dundon bought the club is cheap. They are simply different and evaluate contracts and players differently from most front offices. They are more willing than most FOs to accept some roster turnover year after year in order to get big and long contract extensions to their young core group penned. They are willing to go against conventional wisdom and build their draft pick pile if they think that certain players are going to get more money in RFA or UFA than they are truly worth. I don't agree with some of their moves sometimes (see Bean and especially Nedeljkovic), but the strategy is clear.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
We somehow pay to the cap and earn a bit of that “cheap” tag at the same time.

Those two statements are oxymorons. A team that spends to the cap in the NHL is the last thing from cheap. You want to see true cheapness in action? Watch what Ottawa did between the years 2017 and 2019 after their ECF loss vs. Pittsburgh. THAT'S called cheap. Not this.

I also never said that the Svech extension was some stroke of genius. I do think that it was a very smart move that was made possible because the Canes were sitting on a very comfortable amount of cap space. Not handcuffing yourself with big cap hits early in the offseason like Benning might've just done over in Vancouver with the likes of OEL/Garland/Hamonic/Poolman plays a key role in getting long extensions like that penned and not the bridges.

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Those two statements are oxymorons. A team that spends to the cap in the NHL is the last thing from cheap. You want to see true cheapness in action? Watch what Ottawa did between the years 2017 and 2019 after their ECF loss vs. Pittsburgh. THAT'S called cheap. Not this.

I also never said that the Svech extension was some stroke of genius. I do think that it was a very smart move that was made possible because the Canes were sitting on a very comfortable amount of cap space. Not handcuffing yourself with big cap hits early in the offseason like Benning might've just done over in Vancouver with the likes of OEL/Garland/Hamonic/Poolman plays a key role in getting long extensions like that penned and not the bridges.
I know they’re contradicting statements. That’s why I said it the way I did with the word “somehow”. It’s not news that we seem to have a different view on player valuations than the league. You can’t point to the last three years in the playoffs as justification for those values because it really didn’t hit until this off season. We gave up a lot for Dougie, reaped the rewards and let him go. We don’t know the effect of that yet.

This coming season will be the first where we see if how we look at things stacks up to success. It’s gone both ways to this point (Dougie vs Dzingle/Jake) but if we truly regress this season you could easily start poking some holes in our game plan. I have no desire to go backwards during the prime of our key players so I’m on board.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I believe that we have two more moves to define this season:

1. Do we or do we not get a scoring forward? Or does a youngster absolutely step up to take the spot?
2. Will we sign Necas before the season is over.
I think we may have already missed the boat on the forward and having a youngster shine may be our only hope for more scoring at this point. I think once camp starts we may have another chance to pick someone up.

We should just sign Necas now, but it’s hard to imagine signing another one of these contracts so soon....but it’s dumb to give him/the market the chance drive the price up.

Reactions: WreckingCrew
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad