Around the League 28: Expect the unexpected

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I know they’re contradicting statements. That’s why I said it the way I did with the word “somehow”. It’s not news that we seem to have a different view on player valuations than the league. You can’t point to the last three years in the playoffs as justification for those values because it really didn’t hit until this off season. We gave up a lot for Dougie, reaped the rewards and let him go. We don’t know the effect of that yet.

This coming season will be the first where we see if how we look at things stacks up to success. It’s gone both ways to this point (Dougie vs Dzingle/Jake) but if we truly regress this season you could easily start poking some holes in our game plan. I have no desire to go backwards during the prime of our key players so I’m on board.

It's one thing to say that they simply let him go. The thing is, though, that they added a lot of depth and talent on UFA Day in order to compensate for that loss, including Bear, Cole, and DeAngelo, and they didn't just replace guys from within without spending any cap space. Time will tell if that plan was the smart tact, of course.

Reactions: cptjeff

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
The regular season has started. He scored a goal in the season premiere.

So, does not the fact that his Liiga team has started their regular season kinda answer your own question? If he’s playing regular season games in Finland, he’s not going to stop, go to a training camp and play pre-season/rookie tournament games in NA.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
So, does not the fact that his Liiga team has started their regular season kinda answer your own question? If he’s playing regular season games in Finland, he’s not going to stop, go to a training camp and play pre-season/rookie tournament games in NA.

No, Aatu Räty has been invited to participate in the NYI camp. He is coming, and he plays on the same team as Ville. A lot of prospects from the SHL will also join different camps, even though the season has already started.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I’m reasonably certain this is the only net Phil Kessel can dunk on.

61YRCjgE8LL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I don't think there's much argument against Dundon being cheap anymore. He's shown again and again that he's happy to wear that crown. And that's got nothing to do with overpaying Hamilton (although replacing him with a league minimum contract doesn't help that image), but more about how he handles contract "negotiations"

But yet he spends to the cap.

That’s not Florida Marlin or Baltimore Oriole cheap.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Why should Tkachuk sign an 8 year deal? It’s great that the canes have Svechnikov locked up long term, but if I was a 21/22 year old nhl star, I wouldn’t commit to 11 prime years with 1 team.

a lot can change over that term and having flexibility, when you’re going to be rich anyway, wound my preference.

Teams and fans hate it when guys want a say in where they go after 7-8 years, but can you blame them?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Garrioch reports that Brady Tkachuk was offered 8 years at $8M AAV. More AAV than Svech, eh? Looks like the we suck tax is real in Ottawa.
Well that and actual Canadian taxes.

Also I think even Melnyk being the owner people accuse Dundon of being, they still might stumble their way into a good hockey team soon enough.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, I'd agree that Tkachuk likely wants less term without much less AAV. Ottawa looks like they might have a bright future, but I wouldn't tie myself to that situation too long without knowing they spend to win. Also, you look at guys like McDavid and Eichel and probably others that might somewhat regret longer deals with poorly run teams and you might hesitate to put yourself in the same situation.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Why should Tkachuk sign an 8 year deal? It’s great that the canes have Svechnikov locked up long term, but if I was a 21/22 year old nhl star, I wouldn’t commit to 11 prime years with 1 team.

a lot can change over that term and having flexibility, when you’re going to be rich anyway, wound my preference.

Teams and fans hate it when guys want a say in where they go after 7-8 years, but can you blame them?

I think too often people forget this is work for these players. I wouldn’t commit to any company for that long even as a normal working class guy. Even when you think things are good they can change very quickly. I’ve experienced it myself.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think too often people forget this is work for these players. I wouldn’t commit to any company for that long even as a normal working class guy. Even when you think things are good they can change very quickly. I’ve experienced it myself.

I think that it depends on the player and the team. I'm the kind of worker, personally, that values continuity over flexibility, as long as said company is a successful and good one to work for. The Canes have been a very, very good team for three straight seasons. It's no wonder a guy like Svechnikov accepted an 8 year term. I agree that it probably is going to be much, much harder for a team like Ottawa or Buffalo to do this after the Eichel debacle.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

I'm not saying they should try to force him into long term, Im saying they should avoid him having a backloaded deal so it makes the qualifying offer like his brothers or us with JK.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad