Around The League 2021 season - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
When a big name ufa chooses to come here I will believe it’s a place to play. Until then nj is lumped in with the other cities that ufa don’t want to go there.

as for the rangers cap with eichel? I’m sure they will find a way to make it work they won’t be strung up by a cap crunch even though that’s what everyone on here seems to imply.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
When a big name ufa chooses to come here I will believe it’s a place to play. Until then nj is lumped in with the other cities that ufa don’t want to go there.

as for the rangers cap with eichel? I’m sure they will find a way to make it work they won’t be strung up by a cap crunch even though that’s what everyone on here seems to imply.

My guess is that if the NYR trade for Eichel, they will do what other cap strapped teams do and they will find a way to keep core players but their depth will get depleted as young players finish their ELCs. For example. I expect the Rangers will keep Shesty, but spin off Georgiev for whatever pick they can get. Similarly, if Kakko develops, maybe they spin off Buchenevic for whatever pick they can get next year at the TDL. They will trade Strome for a pick if they get Eichel since Strome will be redundant. Things like that. They won't have to move Fox or Miller or Shesty or Laf most likely. I think the big question will be paying Zib. He's been very good for them and I imagine the point of an Eichel trade would be to keep both of them on the team with Panarin and Kreider. I expect if that happens the Rangers would be very competitive with the best teams in the league until Panarin, Kreider, Zib, and Touba slow down. That could be a five year window for them. Give them credit, they've done a good job retooling.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey

Rags gotta pay a lot of players, This off season Shesterkin, Buchnevich, Chytil, and Lindgren next year, Fox, Kappo, and Zibanejad. They are going to need to do a lot of juggling to make it all work. The Kreider and Trouba contracts are going to hurt them. We will be right behind them shortly with some ELCs ending, but we have more time and as long as we don't saddle the team with bad contracts we should be OK.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
My guess is that if the NYR trade for Eichel, they will do what other cap strapped teams do and they will find a way to keep core players but their depth will get depleted as young players finish their ELCs. For example. I expect the Rangers will keep Shesty, but spin off Georgiev for whatever pick they can get. Similarly, if Kakko develops, maybe they spin off Buchenevic for whatever pick they can get next year at the TDL. They will trade Strome for a pick if they get Eichel since Strome will be redundant. Things like that. They won't have to move Fox or Miller or Shesty or Laf most likely. I think the big question will be paying Zib. He's been very good for them and I imagine the point of an Eichel trade would be to keep both of them on the team with Panarin and Kreider. I expect if that happens the Rangers would be very competitive with the best teams in the league until Panarin, Kreider, Zib, and Touba slow down. That could be a five year window for them. Give them credit, they've done a good job retooling.
I would think that most deals for Eichel would most likely include Strome. I read one a couple weeks back which was underwhelming from the Buffalo perspective, something like Strome, Miller, 1st round pick, and low level prospect. Can't remember where I saw it.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I would think that most deals for Eichel would most likely include Strome. I read one a couple weeks back which was underwhelming from the Buffalo perspective, something like Strome, Miller, 1st round pick, and low level prospect. Can't remember where I saw it.

I'm just using particular players to illustrate the point of how I see it playing out from a cap perspective. My guess is that Kakko would be part of a trade. Strome is just a placeholder for BUF. I'd expect something like Kakko, a young defender not named Fox or Miller, a first, and maybe Chytil, and then Strome to fill the gap for BUF for a year.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don’t see any deal not including Chytil over Strome, Strome is 27 and was drafted in the same draft with Zibanejad (2011). The Sabres would need to get something at center a little more longterm then a guy who’s going to be a UFA in 2022-23.

Strome, Miller and the Rangers 1st isn’t remotely enough for five years of Eichel. A bunch of teams could beat that, particularly since Strome isn’t even particularly useful piece for the Sabres, and it’s not making use of the Rangers advantage which a borderline surplus of high end prospects/young players.

The deal would include package including several players like Chytil, Kravtsov and Lundkvist. A bigger salary player or two would have to go but it could be a three way deal like the Duchene trade, where Strome or whoever could go to a different team for picks/futures that go to Buffalo.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Can someone please explain to me why Jack looks at what the team looks like now that a non idiot is the coach (A legitimate and credible NHL team) and goes "Get me out of here"?

Reactions: mdj12784

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Can someone please explain to me why Jack looks at what the team looks like now that a non idiot is the coach (A legitimate and credible NHL team) and goes "Get me out of here"?
04-C7-CD6-A-31-F4-4-B80-BC10-FC4-B655-E2-B9-C.jpg

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

which is exactly the right way to do it. keep your core or add to the core and trade the window dressing.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Rags gotta pay a lot of players, This off season Shesterkin, Buchnevich, Chytil, and Lindgren next year, Fox, Kappo, and Zibanejad. They are going to need to do a lot of juggling to make it all work. The Kreider and Trouba contracts are going to hurt them. We will be right behind them shortly with some ELCs ending, but we have more time and as long as we don't saddle the team with bad contracts we should be OK.

adding a motivated jack eichel is worth whatever piece they would trade away. trade away meaning they won't really lose out just simple be able to retool even more with all those extra draft picks that everyone loves on here with those cheap ELC that i know everyone on here loves.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I'm just using particular players to illustrate the point of how I see it playing out from a cap perspective. My guess is that Kakko would be part of a trade. Strome is just a placeholder for BUF. I'd expect something like Kakko, a young defender not named Fox or Miller, a first, and maybe Chytil, and then Strome to fill the gap for BUF for a year.

what would a similar package be for nj if the rangers don't have to give up their 1/2 top future d men?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Because he will be 25 at the start of next season. It will be his 7th season. They've finished 23rd, 26th, 31st, 27th, 25th, another potential 31st. That's 1 or 2 last place finishes. 4 of 6 in the bottom 5. The 2 years that weren't bottom 5 were 8th worst and 6th worst. It doesn't even look like they're close to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel nor does it even really look like there's a clear path to exit the tunnel. The real question is why he'd want to stay in Buffalo and tough it out rather than get moved somewhere better

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Because he will be 25 at the start of next season. It will be his 7th season. They've finished 23rd, 26th, 31st, 27th, 25th, another potential 31st. That's 1 or 2 last place finishes. 4 of 6 in the bottom 5. The 2 years that weren't bottom 5 were 8th worst and 6th worst. It doesn't even look like they're close to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel nor does it even really look like there's a clear path to exit the tunnel. The real question is why he'd want to stay in Buffalo and tough it out rather than get moved somewhere better
Also while probably not fair I am sure he doesn't love being labeled a "coach killer." It very well could just be time for a fresh start. He is valuable to the franchise if he stays through the rebuild or if he moves on bringing back a ton of assets for the organization that drafted him.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
harp back to the fighting in nhl discussion last thread. couple more bench clearing fights this weekend in mlb no one seems to be calling for them to end still. just saying

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Also while probably not fair I am sure he doesn't love being labeled a "coach killer." It very well could just be time for a fresh start. He is valuable to the franchise if he stays through the rebuild or if he moves on bringing back a ton of assets for the organization that drafted him.

this guys a coach killer that guys lazy over there is a trouble maker that one doesn't hustle. who makes this stuff up? just phrases to write about and speculate.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
this guys a coach killer that guys lazy over there is a trouble maker that one doesn't hustle. who makes this stuff up? just phrases to write about and speculate.
Hey I am not saying he is, but it certainly has been said about him plenty.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
These aren’t baseless rumors or lazy speculation though, they just really very much resemble those in every way. I guess one worry is Adams could do something dumb but even he has to know the price for Eichel is very high and the Rangers probably are wary of ponying up.

I will say that the myth that Eichel doesn’t care or doesn’t try needs to die.

He started the season playing with an undisclosed injury and then got a different injury during the March 23rd Sabres win over the Devils.

Eichel still tried to play the next game against us on the 25th but when it was clear he couldn’t go at the morning skate Kruger Krugered by announcing that Jack Eichel got injured DURING the morning skate and that it was a new injury. That was news to Eichel who told reporters that he got hurt in NJ which led to this incredibly helpful, believable, cogent explanation. I’ll hand the mic to Ralph.

“When I mentioned it, the specific region that actually took him out of the game, the first time I’d heard about it was warmup,” Krueger said. “But that he was injured and that he came out of the Jersey game injured was clear to me. But it turns out that there was multiple lower-body injuries and whatever.

“The point is that he came out of Jersey hurt. The warmup call and the region that ended up being aggravating, it was his first time back in his skates since that game and it changed the game. Now we’re working on his health and getting him fit again, but I definitely didn’t do gamesmanship there. It was just that we had hoped he was going to play that game.”
Well that explains that.

Eichel then dragged his ass back on the ice after the Sabres lost to Philly in their second game without him. He struggled through five losses until Cizikas checked him into boards in the fifth loss.

Originally the Sabres claimed that his neck injury likely wasn’t season ending and helpfully added it wasn’t related to the two previous injuries (the pre-season one and NJ one I assume) that had hampered him. Whoopsie! It turned out to be a herniated disk that required surgery.

The multiple injuries, including a rib or shoulder upper body one, are why Eichel had two goals. Hall has two goals because he’s a sandbagging pissypants.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Have you watched us play since we rid ourselves of the Kreugervirus? It's like night and day. This is the first time in God knows how long where there is a real feeling of hope among Sabres fans watching guys like Dahlin, Cozens, Casey, Tage, R2D2, Joker ect. looking incredible.

Reactions: TheDuke93

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Have you watched us play since we rid ourselves of the Kreugervirus? It's like night and day. This is the first time in God knows how long where there is a real feeling of hope among Sabres fans watching guys like Dahlin, Cozens, Casey, Tage, R2D2, Joker ect. looking incredible.
They do look good I agree with you, maybe he just doesn't care and wants out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad