GDT: Around the League 2020-21 v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Friedman on Stauffer today said he believed there were rumblings Benning might be on his way out today too.

Isn't the long-standing campfire talk is the Aquillini's make the final call on all things financial anyways? If Benning wanted to offer 'x' years and 'y' money to Markstrom and Toffoli but the owners said "No, too much" then they only have themselves to blame. The next GM will just be another patsy for ownership.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Isn't the long-standing campfire talk is the Aquillini's make the final call on all things financial anyways? If Benning wanted to offer 'x' years and 'y' money to Markstrom and Toffoli but the owners said "No, too much" then they only have themselves to blame. The next GM will just be another patsy for ownership.

My understanding was the owners didn’t want to buyout anyone to create the cap space to keep Tanev and Markstrom. So they can’t justifiably complain when their best shutdown D and Vezina candidate goalie leave for more money elsewhere.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

My understanding was the owners didn’t want to buyout anyone to create the cap space to keep Tanev and Markstrom. So they can’t justifiably complain when their best shutdown D and Vezina candidate goalie leave for more money elsewhere.

I think the argument against Benning is that he created the cap/money issue by signing guys like Beagle and Sutter to bad contracts.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I think the argument against Benning is that he created the cap/money issue by signing guys like Beagle and Sutter to bad contracts.

He’s also had 7 years to create this mess. Can’t really blame anyone else.

Lol @ the Wikipedia entry for him. Bitter fan slipped this in somehow?

Benning is a self-described "super scout" for drafting Jake Virtanen in 2014. His goal when he took over the Canucks was to turn things around quickly. They then proceeded to miss the playoffs four years in a row. Although him and Peter Chiarelli are often given credit for building the 2011 Bruins, this was actually accomplished by Jeff Gorton.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He’s also had 7 years to create this mess. Can’t really blame anyone else.

Lol @ the Wikipedia entry for him. Bitter fan slipped this in somehow?

lol that it's still there. Guess some of the mods there are Canucks fans.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Yes, for sure...he's not free of blame either. I suppose in the Aquilini's defense too, they probably didn't want to get into another Luongo situation with a big ugly contract given to a goalie now in his 30s.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
@Scoopie: I moved my reply to you here as this is the more appropriate thread.

One of Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Ottawa has to sit out every year.

No effin' way Rogers makes the Leafs or Habs miss a year.

The league would work so much better if they moved one of the failing southern teams to Quebec City. You wouldn't have to make any team miss Hockey Day in Canada.

You could quite easily group all eight Canadian teams in a conference or whatever they want to call it. Split into west and east divisions but still use the league alignment to maximize the number of games against Canadian foes. That would work so much more easily with 8 Canadians teams and 24 US teams as opposed to 7 Canadian teams and 23 US teams.

This year for the obvious reasons one team has to sit out but normally one Canadian team would play a US based team. The last two years, that team has been the Oilers (San Jose in 2019 and Nashville last year). The extra couple days of rest will be good for the team.

That said, I do find it strange the league would sideline one of, if not its biggest superstar, who is from Canada, playing on a Canadian team, on a day dedicated to hockey in Canada. Last I checked the Oilers have plenty of history against both Calgary and Winnipeg...more than Ottawa vs Winnipeg and Vancouver vs Calgary, which have been the matchups at least 3 years running (I didn't check past 2019).

As you said...they aren't going to have the Leafs or Habs miss out, likely not the Sens either since they're in the nation's capital so that leaves the four western based teams to shuffle around. But if the league wants ratings...what is going to draw more viewers: Tkachuk and Stutzle vs Wheeler and Ehlers or McDavid and Draisaitl vs Tkachuk and Gaudreau in a BoA. I realise I'm contradicting myself a bit by including the Sens in my example, but it was just that...an example.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
But if the league wants ratings...what is going to draw more viewers: Tkachuk and Stutzle vs Wheeler and Ehlers or McDavid and Draisaitl vs Tkachuk and Gaudreau in a BoA.

Can't see there being much of an impact on ratings with McDrai not playing. I don't think you get a lot of people watching games of teams they aren't fans of. I get that a few casual fans of a team might be a little more likely to watch one of their team's games if they are playing the Oilers because of McDavid. I have zero interest in any games outside the Canadian division.

I'm getting to know the other Canadian teams but wouldn't willingly tune in to a Leafs game to watch Marner and Matthews. I'm meeting a friend for dinner tonight at a place where the Leafs - Habs game might be on one of the TVs. That is the closest I get to watching a Leafs game that the Oilers aren't in.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I don't know if you guys have a different TSN frontpage that they curate for fans located in Alberta, but this is what I see when accessing from the States:

It's the 24/7 Matthews hype show; no wonder Leafs fans have been even more obnoxious about him this season when fed this diet of articles

x61DWbM.png

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Their a little grouchy on the canucks forum

The more they hype Toronto, the more fun when they lose to tb

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I don't know if you guys have a different TSN frontpage that they curate for fans located in Alberta, but this is what I see when accessing from the States:

It's the 24/7 Matthews hype show; no wonder Leafs fans have been even more obnoxious about him this season when fed this diet of articles

x61DWbM.png
another Kristen Shilton fangirl fluff piece...she feeds the delusions of Leaf fan
nothing to see here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad