GDT: Around the League 2020-21 v24

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah even with Little on LTIR they're over the cap by $500k with a 23 man roster now that Copp is signed.
Just looking at it now one has to think at some point they are making a trade. They aren't going to be saving a lot next year either and Dubois and Copp are up for new contracts as well as some other ELC guys. Stastny is really the only UFA they probably move on from to save money.

DeMelo could be the odd man out on the back end would be a guess.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Just looking at it now one has to think at some point they are making a trade. They aren't going to be saving a lot next year either and Dubois and Copp are up for new contracts as well as some other ELC guys. Stastny is really the only UFA they probably move on from to save money.

DeMelo could be the odd man out on the back end would be a guess.

With another similar year production-wise Copp is probably looking at $6M+ on the open market on a long term deal so I'd be curious if Chevy would move him at the deadline in that situation because they probably can't afford to keep him even with Stastny coming off the books. Or like you said do they move a D so that they can keep Copp? Curious to see how Dubois bounces back too. If both he and Copp have good years it's a good problem for Chevy to have.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
With another similar year production-wise Copp is probably looking at $6M+ on the open market on a long term deal so I'd be curious if Chevy would move him at the deadline in that situation because they probably can't afford to keep him even with Stastny coming off the books. Or like you said do they move a D so that they can keep Copp? Curious to see how Dubois bounces back too. If both he and Copp have good years it's a good problem for Chevy to have.
I always wondered if PDL and Laine would last long-term on their new clubs. With the need for centers always in the league selling high on PDL could be an option as well.

With everything I did say so far about the Jets I did think going into last year they had a good chance to contend for the division. Their biggest weakness though was defense and I had blasted them in the past for loaded up the forward group while neglecting the defense. Now they've loaded up some defense and I do like Huddy as a coach, so this could really be the year they are going all in. Have to take your chances when you get them and Chevy is doing that this year.

Reactions: bellagiobob

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Well, its fair, and so we'll see how much the players really want to go and be there. Easy for the players to always say not going is terrible but now ball in their court and we see how invested they might be.

IIHF won’t pay their insurance either and I read somewhere the premiums were astronomical.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

This is sad news. I grew up reading him weekly in The Hockey News when Bob McKenzie was the Editor and the magazine was THE place to get your weekly fill of hockey news (hence the name I suppose). Greenberg was by far my favourite writer along with the Bobfather.

Damn. This sucks. :oops:

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I think that's about all his skills have whittled down to.

As others have said, that locker room is going to become toxic beyond belief if Lehner keeps up his "angry young man" persona.

And for the record, as someone who has had friends with mental health issues, it IS possible to endure health challenges without painting yourself as a victim.

Reactions: frag2 and oilers'72

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I'm ok with the players not going to the Olympic this winter. We've had two seasons affected by all the protocols, plus a tight turnaround from last season going into this season, and long term, i don't think it'll be good for the players health to have another compressed schedule to fit in an Olympic break.

Imo they should focus on the NHL season solely. It'll benefit them more in the long run to help make sure this season is a successful NHL season rather than risking themselves in the Olympics given the current world environment, and other things happening in China

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Boy do I have to get off the main boards. It’s like a drug, once you get in there you just get sucked in.

Flames fans are cute this off season. Still drinking the Sutter cool-aid, and somehow insisting that losing Gio isn’t really much of a problem. Tanev being touted non-sarcastically as a #1 D.

I can’t wait for the season to start. Thank god we’re only a monthish out from camp.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Well that's kind of odd. The PA should be pushing as hard as possible to go, even if they don't go. Try get some sort of other concession from the league.

This is probably a pick your battles thing. Fighting to go to the Olympics at a place where the host is mired in contraversy in issues out side of covid, plus with the uncertainty of a pandemic still going on and uncertainty of a 4th wave, even on the home front...

Add all those together and it could easily look bad on the PA if they put their feet down about going. Giving up the Olympics this go around won't affect future negotiations all that much when the world has recovered more from where it is now.

Does Hockey Canada have to get involved and bring back the Canada Cup?

Whatever it would be called, it would be nice if it was sanctioned by the IIHF, even if the tournament would held under NHL rules and in NHL sized rinks

Reactions: oilers'72

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Boy do I have to get off the main boards. It’s like a drug, once you get in there you just get sucked in.

Flames fans are cute this off season. Still drinking the Sutter cool-aid, and somehow insisting that losing Gio isn’t really much of a problem. Tanev being touted non-sarcastically as a #1 D.

I can’t wait for the season to start. Thank god we’re only a monthish out from camp.

It’s actually shocking how confident the Flames are in their team and Treliving (who’s laid a turd this offseason), but then I remember they’re Flames fans so are delusional by design. It doesn’t help that there are still some pundits that think the same (though many more think they are likely to miss the playoffs than usual, at least).

This is some simping from Yaremchuk on OilersNation:

“The big move that the Flames made was going out and signing two-time Stanley Cup Champion Blake Coleman. That will help their offence, which finished 22nd in the league in goals for last season. I really liked that move.

They lost Captain Mark Giordano in the expansion draft, which left a massive hole in their organization both on and off the ice. They did bring in young, tough, left-shot defenseman Nikita Zadorov to help round out their blueline and honestly, I still like the group they have even without Giordano. They aren’t as good, but it isn’t a weakness.

Their success this season really hinges on Jakub Markstrom. If his save percentage can jump back to around the .918 mark that it was at in his last season with the Canucks, it will go a long way in turning the Flames back into a playoff contender.

They will be an interesting team to watch in their first full season back under Darryll Sutter.”

Apparently Blake Coleman with his Career High 36 points is going to have a major impact on a team that was 22nd for goals for, adding Nikita Zadorov for their actual 1D, praying that Markstrom bounces back to his peak form (without Ian Clark to hold his hand) and some Royal Tyrell dinosaur Sutter magic will make all of the difference.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Hey give them a break. Denial is helping them cope. I'm sure they're telling themselves the Flames have a chance because the Pacific division is weak this year. Let them dream for awhile. It is possible, and the additions have been Sutter-esque so they should at least be a tough team to play against. The reckoning that's coming with that team however will happen soon enough.

On the plus side for the Flames I think they've drafted fairly well the past couple years so eventually that should help them retool but not before they have to make some tough roster decisions the next couple years. I have a hard time envisioning them doing better than treading water just outside the playoff cut line unless Markstrom has a Vezina level season and the whole roster has a big bounce back year. So you gotta figure Treliving is awfully close to seeing the axe finally which would be a shame really because he's done a really good job keeping the Flames in that middle ground between being legit playoff contenders and finishing low enough to get high draft picks.

I'm curious to see what they get for Johnny because if there was a trade that matched what the Flames feel he's worth they probably would have pulled the trigger already, but since other teams know he's going to disappear when the going gets tough the Flames are probably going to be left waiting until the trade deadline and hope Johnny can up his value enough that a team who's desperate for offence rolls the dice and ponies up some good assets. Then they've gotta contend with the $9M Tkachuk QO problem. Anyways, it should be entertaining to watch from afar. :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad