GDT: Around the League 2020-21 v24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Being a Hab fan way back in the day, I will always be thankful to him for allowing that slapshot from centre ice from Jacques Lemaire to skip over his pads and start the comeback for Montreal, leading to a 3-2 win in game 7 of the 1971 finals.

Couldn't believe he was already 78. Still, very young to die these days. R.I.P. Tony-O.
I was also a die-hard Habs fan and remember that goal very well. The 81 playoff series was when I knew that my allegiance had chaanged once and for ever.

Reactions: bellagiobob

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lets not assume this latest witch hunt is of any merit. Its a bunch of people with nothing to do analying and checking off his likes online. I mean seriously its gone to that extent now. Not an action, not even a statement, but some likes. Theres no limit at all now to how vague a reason can be to vet somebody for their online conduct.

Meanwhile "Gaby" checks out as a flat out troll who see's meaning in life if can stir any trouble anywhere in hockey signings. Poster was front center involved in serial bombing posts and concerns and with others furthering own deductions about others.

Read the preamble on twitter;

1500x500

Why do pro orgs or businesses pay so much attention to flamehards like this?
If we tried to hire someone and they have posts like this my work won't hire them either. This isn't uncommon.

It's different if this is something a kid said 10 years ago, but the guy had remarks this year. It's really quite simple don't get too politically opinionated on social media if you want a job in the business world or somewhere where you are in the public eyes.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If we tried to hire someone and they have posts like this my work won't hire them either. This isn't uncommon.

It's different if this is something a kid said 10 years ago, but the guy had remarks this year. It's really quite simple don't get too politically opinionated on social media if you want a job in the business world or somewhere where you are in the public eyes.
It would be the same in my profession.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It would be the same in my profession.
And to be honest it's been like at my company for a few years now. Not something that just started.

Even my buddy that runs a minor hockey team he couldn't hire an assistant coach, because the rules said anyone with a criminal record couldn't coach. Guy was probably close to 50 and had a dui in his late teens.

Companies and organizations have had these policies for years, we just don't hear about it until someone in the public eye decides to hire someone with some sort of issues. We don't even really know how often guys are actually being turned away because teams did their background checks properly.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

By this definition hardly anybody in AHS would have a job. Lets be clear, being political online is not verboten. Its expressing thoughts on one side. People on left can be extreme as they want.

The trouble is that social media is where speakers corner now exists and where govts look for consensus, for feedback, for ideas etc and yet we have those media that censure one type of thought and we live in a society that will fire people for liking certain posts. Thats where we are now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
By this definition hardly anybody in AHS would have a job. Lets be clear, being political online is not verboten. Its expressing thoughts on one side. People on left can be extreme as they want.

The trouble is that social media is where speakers corner now exists and where govts look for consensus, for feedback, for ideas etc and yet we have those media that censure one type of thought and we live in a society that will fire people for liking certain posts. Thats where we are now.
There are things you simply can't like without facing backlash.

The fact that he had anti-black, transphobic and supporting of the storming of capitol hill make this a very easy decision.

You want to like those things that's your right, but it's also the right of businesses not to hire you.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Reactions: oilers'72

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Actually my professional association now makes mandatory support of certain political factions. To the degree of attending certain inservices, to the degree of signing certain allegiances. What you state is not the case, whatsoever, and we could take this to PM if you want because I won't give all the details here.

In anycase;

News Flash: Science Has Always Been Political | American Scientist

It is not a political issue. I could care less what someone's political affiliation is but if they are going to be placed in a position of authority over people they cannot have blatant biases.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There are things you simply can't like without facing backlash.

The fact that he had anti-black, transphobic and supporting of the storming of capitol hill make this a very easy decision.

You want to like those things that's your right, but it's also the right of businesses not to hire you.

Some people CLAIMED the person had said those things or supported those things. (the same kind of people that call themselves jury and executioner online. Did you see the poster state those things? no, because that information has been erased. Which occurs either by the person themselves deleting or closing accounts or the social media source closing or scrubbing.

Its interesting you call it a fact. But you don't firsthand know that it is. Indeed this is how gossip and rumor starts. Somebody says something about somebody and everybody believes it. But further, when it gets down to info somebody likes or not, a picture, a political cartoon, a book, it can be very subjective what liking that actually means given interpretations can vary widely.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It is not a political issue. I could care less what someone's political affiliation is but if they are going to be placed in a position of authority over people they cannot have blatant biases.

American Scientist says it is and you say its not..

They cannot? In many professional associations its the status quo. Apparently you don't detect the bias. You know that I could give examples, but I can't in the thread.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
American Scientist says it is and you say its not..

They cannot? In many professional associations its the status quo. Apparently you don't detect the bias. You know that I could give examples, but I can't in the thread.

This is not about whether there is bias in people already in the profession. There is. The issue is if someone makes their bias so blatant and public on social media would that impact their hiring. It clearly would in my institution. And I doubt there is a single Canadian University that would knowingly hire someone who made those posts. You would be putting that individual in a positin where he could significantly impact others lives. Now if he already had tenure and made those same posts you would have a much bigger issue. But today, it may well result in dismissal.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Some people CLAIMED the person had said those things or supported those things. (the same kind of people that call themselves jury and executioner online. Did you see the poster state those things? no, because that information has been erased. Which occurs either by the person themselves deleting or closing accounts or the social media source closing or scrubbing.

Its interesting you call it a fact. But you don't firsthand know that it is. Indeed this is how gossip and rumor starts. Somebody says something about somebody and everybody believes it. But further, when it gets down to info somebody likes or not, a picture, a political cartoon, a book, it can be very subjective what liking that actually means given interpretations can vary widely.
If the guy truly didn't say those things he would be fighting it, but he knows that there is evidence that shows what he did.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is not about whether there is bias in people already in the profession. There is. The issue is if someone makes their bias so blatant and public on social media would that impact their hiring. It clearly would in my institution. And I doubt there is a single Canadian University that would knowingly hire someone who made those posts. You would be putting that individual in a positin where he could significantly impact others lives. Now if he already had tenure and made those same posts you would have a much bigger issue. But today, it may well result in dismissal.

Again I could give you exact examples. Of blatant bias on campus. Of people falsely accused, matters pursued legally, of campuses that erroneously acted on blatant bias.

"someone who made those posts" What posts? in the matter of Imoo most of the concern was what the poster "appeared to like".

‘We made a mistake’: Toronto Marlies backtrack on goalie coach hire over social media controversy | The Star

"Imoo’s hire was met with outrage on Twitter, where users criticized Imoo for appearing to like a series of far-right posts including transphobic and pro-(last president) commentary."

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If the guy truly didn't say those things he would be fighting it, but he knows that there is evidence that shows what he did.

Try fighting it. What would change? Would the Leafs hire him again? Thats not whats been happening in the world.

I do wish more people would take these matters up legally. But one of the claims is that he's "far right". Who establishes that, and what that means?

A lot more I could say, and won't because of expectations here.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Again I could give you exact examples. Of blatant bias on campus. Of people falsely accused, matters pursued legally, of campuses that erroneously acted on blatant bias.

"someone who made those posts" What posts? in the matter of Imoo most of the concern was what the poster "appeared to like".

‘We made a mistake’: Toronto Marlies backtrack on goalie coach hire over social media controversy | The Star

Imoo’s hire was met with outrage on Twitter, where users criticized Imoo for appearing to like a series of far-right posts including transphobic and pro-(last president) commentary.
You are correct. My use of posts was inaccurate.

The last job seaarch I lead we had 475 applicants for one position. At least 100 of those would have had no problem getting tenure had we hired them. The pattern of likes, if known, would have disqualified him. Full stop.

Like it or not EDI is a driving force in hiring in Canadian academic institutions.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You are correct. My use of posts was inaccurate.

The last job seaarch I lead we had 475 applicants for one position. At least 100 of those would have had no problem getting tenure had we hired them. The pattern of likes, if known, would have disqualified him. Full stop.

Like it or not EDI is a driving force in hiring in Canadian academic institutions.

Its problematic. Also because its relying on a pattern of algorithms, assumptions, rather than actual assessment as well as EDI itself being itself doctrine related.

Increasingly hiring doesn't detect, fact check, background check so that in the hockey world we have serial sexual abusers getting jobs but somebody that likes right flavored ice cream gets banned. I mean again thats the world we're in.

Thanks for the discussion, we've both made our points, nothing served going further.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Its problematic. Also because its relying on a pattern of algorithms, assumptions, rather than actual assessment as well as EDI itself being itself doctrine related.

Increasingly hiring doesn't detect, fact check, background check so that in the hockey world we have serial sexual abusers getting jobs but somebody that likes right flavored ice cream gets banned. I mean again thats the world we're in.

Thanks for the discussion, we've both made our points, nothing served going further.

By the way, EDI is Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, in case it was not clear.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Freedom of speech and freedom of consequences are two different things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad