Around the league 2020-21 season part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is it possible that the new head coach is just an interim for Guy Carbonneau?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There was a discussion on NHL Radio today about Patrick Roy and whether that would be a possibility. Imagine THAT! Talk about the circus that would be. :laugh::thumbu:
I remember him apparently turning down the Montreal job, way back when. Probably before the second time they hired Therrien. It was even before he got his head coaching job in Colorado.

I was hoping someone would get my Carbonneau joke, either here or on the main board. The Canadiens had Therrien and replaced him with Julien two different times. And Carbonneau was the head coach after Julien (with an interim stint filled in by then-GM Bob Gainey in between), so my joke was that history would repeat itself yet again.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I was hoping someone would get my Carbonneau joke, either here or on the main board. The Canadiens had Therrien and replaced him with Julien two different times. And Carbonneau was the head coach after Julien (with an interim stint filled in by then-GM Bob Gainey in between), so my joke was that history would repeat itself yet again.

If you have to explain your joke...

:DD

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
This feels kind of like a panic move?
This is a grade A Canadian Panic Move of the finest quality. An early hot start had every one in Montreal aiming very high and a slump with three losses to Ottawa was enough for a shake up. Bergevin has been GM since 2012 and he’s going to take a big hit if they’re not one of the two Canadian teams coming out of the 1st round.

People are saying Kirk was fired maybe because he wasn’t promoted (?) and because of their power play. Good luck to them if it’s about the power play. They’ll have the same insurmountable problem we do if they want to remake their PP: no time for any practices. Also, a middle of the pack PP actually somewhat reflects the talent level of players. Montreal doesn’t actually have any lethal offensive elite compared to the other Canadian teams, though guys like Gally (who does his best work 5v5) and Drouin should be doing better on the PP.

Galaxy Brain Take: Fitz should fire Nasreddine and hire Julien as an assistant coach next off-season.

He must not have disciplined Phillip Danault after he fired a slapshot at him in practice.
Heh

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Boston getting blown out again. Is this a sign that the Devils handling them may not have been as big an accomplishment as it seemed or is it just a rough patch?

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
They simply have NO scoring outside of the 1st line

that 2016 draft could have changed their fortunes forever

2015*

But yeah the 3 picks after the 3 straight they had: Barzal, Connor, Chabot....yikes

DeBrusk and Zboril are decent but certainly not game changers by any means and Senyshen probably isn’t an NHL player.

Reactions: Woncka

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Boston getting blown out again. Is this a sign that the Devils handling them may not have been as big an accomplishment as it seemed or is it just a rough patch?
I’d say a rough patch due to missing two of their top four defenseman. They do have secondary scoring problems but that’s not the problem in the blowout.

The biggest concern for them would if their goaltending is slipping, Rask is going to be 34 March and number are unlike unRask-like.

Speaking of rough patches, what’s up with the team that supposed win the Cup if Tampa doesn’t, Colorado?

They supposed one of top three teams in NHL, or something like that, but only they have third best winning % in own their division, .594, and Kings of all teams right behind them. They finally managed to get a goal against the Coyotes right now.

edit: Well the Avs got 2 two more and won 3-2 so the world makes more sense.

Last edited:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

Man, I feel for Cory, Hope he is able to get through this tragedy and still be able to be that guy who was never not smiling.

Derps

Jul 1, 2018

Man, I feel for Cory, Hope he is able to get through this tragedy and still be able to be that guy who was never not smiling.

Im going to get roasted for this, but I don't care. It doesn't come out of place of being unsympathetic. I truly feel terrible for the people involved. Rich or poor, loss is loss and it hurts just the same.

But for someone who has made 50 million dollars in his career to pass around the collection plate to average and poor people is disgraceful. Doing so during a pandemic where a large portion of people have no idea where their next check is coming from is especially tone deaf. This kind of stuff happens all the time; there are so many worthy causes on gofundme from people without the money and without the status. I wonder how many of those people saw as they scrolled by to throw their money at a multimillionaire. I find it so unimpressive.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I have some concerns that the news and GoFundMe haven’t been announced by any of the news media yet; at least that I could find.

I’m inherently skeptical until verified.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Im going to get roasted for this, but I don't care. It doesn't come out of place of being unsympathetic. I truly feel terrible for the people involved. Rich or poor, loss is loss and it hurts just the same.

But for someone who has made 50 million dollars in his career to pass around the collection plate to average and poor people is disgraceful. Doing so during a pandemic where a large portion of people have no idea where their next check is coming from is especially tone deaf. This kind of stuff happens all the time; there are so many worthy causes on gofundme from people without the money and without the status. I wonder how many of those people saw as they scrolled by to throw their money at a multimillionaire. I find it so unimpressive.

Nah you’re not wrong, a millionaire athlete setting up a go fund me is not a great look, and I love Coreigh.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Awful, horrible, sad news.

I really don't disagree about the comments. Setting up a go fund me to ask money from regular people when you have made almost $50 million in your career is definitely an interesting way to go. What's the point of all that money if you can't take care of your closest ones with it? Maybe it's a dick thing to say but if I actually had that much money I certainly wouldn't be asking for others to help out financially. When you have $50 million, do you really even miss a million if you now only have $49 million? Meh.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
While I agree with all the comments made here - both that it's a bad look and it may not be genuine - Cory made a lot of money in his career but he did not make anything close to $50 million.

I don't know all his contracts and know taxes and all that but his contract extension with the Devils alone was 7 years $42 million but yeah either way for me even if you have $20 million reduced to $19 million my opinion is still the same on this.

But maybe @Devils731 is right to be skeptical, I mean asking for $150k as a goal is certainly odd.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos

Perhaps not the best choice of words...

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I have some concerns that the news and GoFundMe haven’t been announced by any of the news media yet; at least that I could find.

I’m inherently skeptical until verified.

Was browsing, there's another go fund me already setup for a previous reason but people have been donating to that one as well...

Investigation focuses on electrical panel, new dryer in deadly Camden fire

"Four days before the fire, Connors set up a GoFundMe page, asking for donations for the addition they were building.

Now, hundreds of Mainers have given tens of thousands of dollars to that fund, to help the family recover from this tragedy "

Family Building Project, organized by Carrie Connors

Reactions: Devils731

Derps

Jul 1, 2018
That's not what people are complaining about. Stop being disingenuous. There are two separate things going on. He is the one that made it about money by asking for money.

At *BEST*, the optics of soliciting donations as a multimillionaire is a bad look. I can't believe you consider saying that "tactless." Going to have to disagree with ya!

Cory's career earning are also close to 50 million.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
GoFundMe only makes sense if it's to help cover medical bills or the cost of a treatment. I don't understand how money fixes anything after you've lost a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad