Around the league 2020-21 season part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
So supposedly it isnt due to a covid outbreak and only because their flight was cancelled and have to get a new one. A bit weird.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Reading that tweet, the game is only postponed because the Sabres can't fly into NY in time to get tested with enough buffer before the puck drop? So there's no positive cases in Buffalo and there's no evidence that the Devils gave the Sabres COVID from sunday's game?

Reactions: Darkauron

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Eh I figured it was too early for any evidence to pop up on that anyway, the real warning signs will be if Sabres start getting positive tests later in the week-early next week

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Reading that tweet, the game is only postponed because the Sabres can't fly into NY in time to get tested with enough buffer before the puck drop? So there's no positive cases in Buffalo and there's no evidence that the Devils gave the Sabres COVID from sunday's game?

There wouldn't be any evidence yet because the disease takes several days to manifest. If some Sabres start testing positive by week's end, we can make a pretty good guess how they got it.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
There wouldn't be any evidence yet because the disease takes several days to manifest. If some Sabres start testing positive by week's end, we can make a pretty good guess how they got it.

Sure but there seemed to be a lot of assuming in the discussion re: why the Sabres are pissed / the game was postponed. Sounds like we assumed incorrectly (unless i'm missing some info).

The NHL COVID protocols are an attempt to navigate the various trade offs of risk mitigations strategies and their costs, and the compromises needed with the Union re: what they're willing to do and I'd like to see some clear evidence they are broken before bashing them just yet.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The Sabres have every right to be pissed. The games this weekend should not have been played. Blackwood came back positive a day or two after playing in a game, which indicates the whole team was probably the exposed. When Zajac came back positive it was a sign that an outbreak was occurring. At the very least when Palms came back positive on Sunday, that game should have been postponed as you had a potential positive case flying together plus the game afterwards.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
The Sabres have every right to be pissed. The games this weekend should not have been played. Blackwood came back positive a day or two after playing in a game, which indicates the whole team was probably the exposed. When Zajac came back positive it was a sign that an outbreak was occurring. At the very least when Palms came back positive on Sunday, that game should have been postponed as you had a potential positive case flying together plus the game afterwards.

So that was all known before the game. Is the argument the NHL should not make teams play if one of the teams is uncomfortable with how many new cases the other team has had in the past 3 days? Or you can't have a game if a new player tests positive in the last 3 days? The 2nd makes sense to me at least.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I am also surprised that they flew to Pittsburgh at all - you've had 2 positive tests on the team in 48 hours and just assume you made it through okay? The league definitely shares a lot of blame here but there needed to be better contingency plans in place.

I think playing on Saturday was fine. I think Sunday's game should've been canceled and I was surprised it wasn't, but I figured it was the last one for a while.

Reactions: Blender

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
So that was all known before the game. Is the argument the NHL should not make teams play if one of the teams is uncomfortable with how many new cases the other team has had in the past 3 days? Or you can't have a game if a new player tests positive in the last 3 days? The 2nd makes sense to me at least.

I think things have to be halted if you have more than 1 players comeback positive within a certain amount of days. Otherwise it could have a spiraling effect. Conceivably they should be checking the Flyers as well as they played the Devils through the outbreaks

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I think things have to be halted if you have more than 1 players comeback positive within a certain amount of days. Otherwise it could have a spiraling effect. Conceivably they should be checking the Flyers as well as they played the Devils through the outbreaks

Yeah game sunday seems like a huge mistake (especially in retrospect with Devils now shutdown due to an outbreak) for sure, something around new positive tests or multiple positive tests shutting things down until team test count stabilizes and those players have been quarantined for 3+ days or whatever seems necessary.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
The feedback from the first couple of weeks is now here. Time for the league to reevaluate the protocols and schedule.

MLB had to do it and they got it done, NHL better follow suit and step it up. Would be fitting though for the NHL to be the only league to have to shut down a season while the other 3 all make it through, morons that run the league.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
Devils should get ADA. He is like 26 and will slowly mature. 50 points Dman that is at his lowest value. I would do it if Rangers retained. He would play out of his mind against Rangers.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
no problems when playing in a bubble.....problems when playing outside of a bubble....weird no one saw that coming

The NHL has looked like a clown show in comparison to the NBA with the same logistical issues and this Sabres/Devils situation isn’t helping

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Devils should get ADA. He is like 26 and will slowly mature. 50 points Dman that is at his lowest value. I would do it if Rangers retained. He would play out of his mind against Rangers.

dude why are so many people saying this? If you aren't matured by 25 years old, you're never going to be mature. Plus, being a racist POS is more than just being "immature". Its not like he drank too much at a party or something....

this dude is not a good enough player to warrant all this "WE SHOULD CLAIM HIM" nonsense. He sucks and is a shitty person.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
ADA won’t be in the NHL for awhile, guy really needs to clean up his act.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I wonder what was said between DeAngelo and AG. That overtime goal against Crosby on Saturday was not a great goal but DeAngelo could have done more too.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
no problems when playing in a bubble.....problems when playing outside of a bubble....weird no one saw that coming

Everyone knew there were going to be issues and games being postponed. The players did not want to play in a bubble and be away from their families for 5-7 months. That was not an option - the players would not agree to it and we wouldn't have a season.

They're the ones taking the risk of getting COVID by not playing in a bubble, not us fans. They were obviously willing to take that risk.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad