Around the League 2020-21 part 2 *Insert funny thread title here* edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I would say no big trades for us until after both drafts. So 5+ months until Eichel hunting season begins.

Whether or not the kings are a hunter depends on Blake and how the younger players do in the remaining 41 games.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Brown, Carter and Quick aren't long for this team while Eichel would be. Brown and Carter have one more year after the current one. Kovy's cap hit is gone after this year. All of the 2019 and '20 draft pick ECLs are sliding. Eichel is only 24 and locked up.

It would cost prospects we all like but Blake is not doing his job if he isn't inquiring.

His age does fit, IMO. This rebuild isn't going to take another five years. He'd be the #1C on this team for two more years after Kopitar's contract ends and he'd still be under 30. He could help lower Kopitar's minutes right now and extend Anze's career. Hell, Anze could go Thornton style and do team-friendly deals at the conclusion of this one if Eichel is here and he likes where the team is at.

We hope that any of these forward prospects are Eichel caliber. One in the hand is worth two in the bush at some point. Maybe that isn't right now but, IMO, some of these prospects will not live up to expectations so the idea of "waiting to see what we have" is also the same as "we keep them if they are good but we'll be cool to trade them if they are disappointing" which, of course, means they aren't as valuable in a trade at that point.

Perfect way to break it down. I absolutely agree with it. Eichel is what you hope your top prospects can be.

I think Blake knows this and he also knows that Eichel puts butts in seats if he brings that type of game to L.A. He will be in this in my opinion and I get the feeling that he would move one of Byfield or Turcotte.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This will be the Sabres 10th straight season missing the playoffs.

That ties the NHL all time record for longest playoff drought.

And there's no end in sight for Buffalo. They'll break the record next year after they miss the playoffs for the 11th straight season.

Something has to give with Eichel. He won't want to spend all his prime years in this terrible situation. Also, does ownership want to spend this much money on a losing product? They already cut a bunch of staff to save money.

He'll be gone, and the Sabres will get a mediocre return for him. That's usually how it works.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Anything more than Byfield, a first, and a B tier prospect or roster player is too rich for my blood

With that said, I don't think he's dealt until after the expansion draft

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Not sure if the players aren't buying into Hynes system/coaching or they don't believe in each other but somethings wrong. Could be too drastic a change in philosophy and system Lavvy vs Hynes, and maybe that's on Poile. But they are playing poorly, making awful decisions, turnovers, costly stuff that ends up in the net. Too many shifts are a comedy of errors. Poile may have to make some hard decisions this year. Maybe they need more time to adjust t othe new coach/system. But then again, maybe it's time for a change in personnel.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Has he fallen off that much? I mean, yeah he has a Dustin Brown contract, but he at least has been around 20 goals, 40 points, for the last three years for them and the Ducks aren't near the cap, internal cap and all. I wouldn't want us to claim him or anything, but I feel like he is still useful if you aren't in dire need for the cap space.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

Not sure if the players aren't buying into Hynes system/coaching or they don't believe in each other but somethings wrong. Could be too drastic a change in philosophy and system Lavvy vs Hynes, and maybe that's on Poile. But they are playing poorly, making awful decisions, turnovers, costly stuff that ends up in the net. Too many shifts are a comedy of errors. Poile may have to make some hard decisions this year. Maybe they need more time to adjust t othe new coach/system. But then again, maybe it's time for a change in personnel.

Roster changes are coming and it’s going to start with guys on short term deals like Haula and Granlund. They should be fairly easy to move.

I remember when they traded Fiala for Granlund at the deadline a few years ago. Didn’t work out so well for the Preds when most thought they pulled the rug out from underneath the Wild on that one.

Reactions: crassbonanza

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Roster changes are coming and it’s going to start with guys on short term deals like Haula and Granlund. They should be fairly easy to move.

I remember when they traded Fiala for Granlund at the deadline a few years ago. Didn’t work out so well for the Preds when most thought they pulled the rug out from underneath the Wild on that one.

Yup. And I agree with Friedman, I think Ekholm will be moved because they don't want to lose him to Seattle.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Yup. And I agree with Friedman, I think Ekholm will be moved because they don't want to lose him to Seattle.

Interesting re:Ekholm. I wonder if they wait until the off-season just prior to the expansion draft to trade him. Might be more of a market and potentially better asset return as opposed to making a deadline deal where a limited number of teams could be interested.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
It’s possible that getting buzzed before noon makes it hard to see the puck on this outdoor game. Shadows are for real.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Wonder if Poile is on the hot seat now. I know he's been there for years, but the past couple of years he's made some moves that have not worked out at all and they don't seem to able to dig themselves out their hole

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Was just about to say these shadows and glare are going to suck for the goalies and right on cue boom, routine shot = goal 3 min in haha

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Wonder if Poile is on the hot seat now. I know he's been there for years, but the past couple of years he's made some moves that have not worked out at all and they don't seem to able to dig themselves out their hole

I think he is on the hot seat, and perhaps a part of that is the hiring of Hynes. His system, I think, is not exactly suited for ther personnel they have. NOw it could be new coach/system is taking them longer to adjust , esp with the COVID schedule. But the few games I have seen, they aren't with it, just struggling on every shift, not there mentally or physically.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I guess they are delaying the game.

Putting tarps on the ice. Going to try and get it in later on or worst case, tomorrow morning.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
...and game off. That ice is starting to turn into slush. Finish it tonight when it gets colder, but do they have lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad