Around the League 2020-21 part 2 *Insert funny thread title here* edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Also re: the convo above on letting Kopitar & Doughty walk/trading them earlier, the only comparisons I can think of in the cap era are Chara, Tavares, Pietrangelo/Krug, Carter, and Richards. Only one of those players already had a Cup with the team they left, and none of the teams they left from have gone on to do anything yet (obviously St. Louis still has a great chance to get another ring sans-Pietrangelo, but we'll see). I'm here for the arguments that management caved and overpaid both for the sake of roster/cap management, but I still don't think there's any set of GM & President in the league that lets them walk or trades them as early as folks suggest they could've been let go.

No sane GM would do that, only those that think they can win cups with budding star players on cheap contracts.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Here's some discussion of Eichel. It's a ranger centric site but it does have some kings info.

They seem sure the kings would not part with Byfield to get eichel. So if true, that would mean turcotte in all likelihood.

New York Rangers and Jack Eichel trade rumors only getting bigger and stronger - Forever Blueshirts: A site for New York Rangers fanatics
I would trade either Byfield or Turcotte for Eichel if I were in Blake's shoes. That's just me. I don't run the team.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I would trade either Byfield or Turcotte for Eichel if I were in Blake's shoes. That's just me. I don't run the team.

I don't think there's a right answer here, really. Every time I come back to the idea I struggle with it and basically flip a coin.

It really would just come down to what solid decision you make on philosophy--are we building Turcotte/Byfield/Vilardi/Bjornfot's team? Or are we going for it with Kopitar/Doughty/Brown for the next 5ish years? Unfortunately there's that huge gap in the middle really only occupied by like Roy and Kempe and Walker.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Saw forsberg may be available from nashville. He would be a nice addition if the kings are in a playoff position and looking to buy at the deadline. Guys got some skills the kings can use.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Saw forsberg may be available from nashville. He would be a nice addition if the kings are in a playoff position and looking to buy at the deadline.

Let's pretend for a moment that we are competing for a playoff spot this year... now is not the time to give up valuable assets for a so-called run.

::cough:: Lucic...

Reactions: The Butcher

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Let's pretend for a moment that we are competing for a playoff spot this year... now is not the time to give up valuable assets for a so-called run.

::cough:: Lucic...
I think they said they will be buyers if they are in the playoffs. Hes not a rental im not positive but think he has more time on his contract. If they arent getting a lottery pick anyway its not too big of a deal to give up picks. They have a lot of depth players in the system already and need high end talent. They are thin on right wingers especially with carter and brown contracts ending soon. Plus the playoff experience would be great for the young players and forsberg giving them a better chance at being competitive is a good thing.
If there is no playoffs in sight I would not bother though.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't see them giving up assets for rentals, but I CAN see them giving up assets for players.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
F. Forsberg should be in Blake’s radar if he’s really available. Could be the difference in making the playoffs this year.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Expansion draft is coming up soon... so that have to factors into a trade for Blake.

Trading away valuable assets for said player you then lose another player (that you were gonna protect) to Seattle.

DL made some shrewd moves early on in his tenure with LA – let's hope Blake learned from that rebuilding process by bringing in the right players through trades ::cough:: Stoll, Greener, and Williams.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Bergeron is amazing. He is the last legit star player from the 2003 draft, and is still the best defensive forward in the league. Happy he made a defensive play like that to create a goal in a marquee national game.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Yeah, but there was no one in the organization who had the guts (or the ok from ownership) to do it. Lombardi could have done it but he thought he had a contender until the day he was fired and had an unhealthy loyalty to players, Blake it took 2 years to realize it and had already committed to Doughty for basically the rest of his career. I don’t blame the Kings for wanting to keep Anze for his whole career, he will go down as IMO the best player in franchise history and they had to keep one guy to put on billboards.

Doughty is playing as well as he’s played in years though. Doughty was one of the most disappointing players in the NHL the last couple of years but has been elite this season.

Just perusing other teams' out of town boards because I'm...bored. I come in peace but I had to say:
831748180.jpg.0.jpg

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
This Lake Tahoe outside game looks freaking amazing. I keeping it looks fake around the rink because it’s so amazing looking - but it’s not.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Just perusing other teams' out of town boards because I'm...bored. I come in peace but I had to say:
831748180.jpg.0.jpg

Gretzky played 8 seasons with the Kings.
Kopitar will have played 18 season with the Kings if he finishes out his contract.

Kopitar was the best player on two Kings championship teams, that and the longevity give him the nod.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Is this the same Kopitar people claimed took a month off every season? Just asking. And, I love how DD has apparently been cancelled. One poster actually claimed we've never seen a D man at 19 with the poise of Bjornfot -- really? DD was nominated for the Norris in his 19/20 year.

Kopi is my favorite King but has he been better than a guy that was arguably the best overall D man in the entire league for about 10 years?
Right.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Gretzky played 8 seasons with the Kings.
Kopitar will have played 18 season with the Kings if he finishes out his contract.

Kopitar was the best player on two Kings championship teams, that and the longevity give him the nod.
I guess that brings to mind the always interesting debate of peak vs. longevity + championships.
Personally, and having been a fan since the mid-90's, I would give it to Gretz. But that's not to diminish Kopitar in any way.

Also, is it a commonly held belief that Kopitar was better than Doughty for both of your championship runs?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Gretz is the reason I am a kings fan and hockey fan. Dionne was before my time as a fan.

Palffy gave me a reason to watch in lean years.

Kopitar was the main cog in two cups. Should retire a King hopefully. Greatest King in my book.
Palffy is one of my all time favorites. Started when he was with the Islanders. What a fun player to watch.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Non sequiturs are my specialty
But earnestly, Gretzky is widely considered the greatest of all time.
Now, in a vacuum, what he did on L.A. wouldn't qualify for that sort of accolade, but he still won art rosses and dominated the league in your uni.

The Sedins are firmly above Linden. Personally, I put Naslund and Bure above him as well. I also think we have at least 3 current players who will be considered better than him when it is all said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->