Around the League 2020-21 part 2 *Insert funny thread title here* edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
NHL postponed another Stars game due to power outages. That's 4 this week. Between losing games for COVID to start the year and this, they'll be really compressed to fit those games in.

Sunday's Flyers Bruins outdoor game at Tahoe has been moved up to 11 am PT,(2 EST) to avoid sunglare.
The Stars will end up playing 3 games in 4 days for the rest of the season??

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
So, ummm... Eichel, anyone?

I heard Friedman say it may be a possibility...

I think LA has the package to make it happen.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Depends on a lot of factors, but I would lean toward no. The price will be high, it would be more comfortable if we knew a little better what we had in our prospects - Byfield's potential, despite Stutzel mania, is still as high as it was on draft day.

Eichel would be guaranteed to be Kopitar's replacement if we get him, and we have three high-end center prospects that are already competing for that future role, but we have none for Doughty. I would rather address the need for a #1 defenseman if we made a move like that.

The only way I would make that deal is if we already had another in place for Kopitar and he agreed to waive. The difference between the two packages should be worth turning Kopitar into Eichel if that were to happen, but that is too many ifs to be realistically viable, so probably no to Eichel :P

Token

May 15, 2019
So, ummm... Eichel, anyone?

I heard Friedman say it may be a possibility...

I think LA has the package to make it happen.
Depends on if they want NHL players or prospects back.

We have a ton of prospects.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
An Eichel trade would fly in the face of a plan to rebuild. Inserting another 10MM plus player into the roster would leave no room for additional depth while you’re carrying 16MM plus of cap hit from Brown, Carter and Quick.

Who will be Eichel’s wingers? Playing prospects is a gamble and no one else on the roster is a 30 goal threat on the wing. Yea Eichel will come in and put up points, but all signs point to a let down when it comes to results.

Plus Iafallo and Roy are RFAs due a raise, so that’s probably another 3MM in increased salary next year. Or one of those players is going the other way to Buffalo (or some other team) in a trade to work out the money.

In the end, the Kings will spend the next two seasons stuck in a slow rebuild where the team finishes outside the playoffs and draft lottery.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Eichel is great but the Kings don't "need" him. The only way you trade for him is if its an easy trade win for the Kings.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Eichel is 24 years old. If Blake were to make such a move, the Kings better be contending for a Stanley Cup within three years of making the deal. Is the remaining supporting cast capable of contending? It would be a big gamble on Blake's part.

Last edited:

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Depending on what players/prospects get traded, obtaining Eichel also messes with the expansion draft plans.

So definitely not during this season.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
An Eichel trade would fly in the face of a plan to rebuild. Inserting another 10MM plus player into the roster would leave no room for additional depth while you’re carrying 16MM plus of cap hit from Brown, Carter and Quick.

Who will be Eichel’s wingers? Playing prospects is a gamble and no one else on the roster is a 30 goal threat on the wing. Yea Eichel will come in and put up points, but all signs point to a let down when it comes to results.

Plus Iafallo and Roy are RFAs due a raise, so that’s probably another 3MM in increased salary next year. Or one of those players is going the other way to Buffalo (or some other team) in a trade to work out the money.

In the end, the Kings will spend the next two seasons stuck in a slow rebuild where the team finishes outside the playoffs and draft lottery.

Brown, Carter and Quick aren't long for this team while Eichel would be. Brown and Carter have one more year after the current one. Kovy's cap hit is gone after this year. All of the 2019 and '20 draft pick ECLs are sliding. Eichel is only 24 and locked up.

It would cost prospects we all like but Blake is not doing his job if he isn't inquiring.

His age does fit, IMO. This rebuild isn't going to take another five years. He'd be the #1C on this team for two more years after Kopitar's contract ends and he'd still be under 30. He could help lower Kopitar's minutes right now and extend Anze's career. Hell, Anze could go Thornton style and do team-friendly deals at the conclusion of this one if Eichel is here and he likes where the team is at.

We hope that any of these forward prospects are Eichel caliber. One in the hand is worth two in the bush at some point. Maybe that isn't right now but, IMO, some of these prospects will not live up to expectations so the idea of "waiting to see what we have" is also the same as "we keep them if they are good but we'll be cool to trade them if they are disappointing" which, of course, means they aren't as valuable in a trade at that point.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
We are more than an Eichel away from contending status. If he's unhappy now and causes a ruckus enough to be traded, how soon before that happens here?

Even with Eichel, this team is probably not a playoff team in a normal year. Will Eichel be ok with not making the playoffs for another 1-2 years?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Brown, Carter and Quick aren't long for this team while Eichel would be. Brown and Carter have one more year after the current one. Kovy's cap hit is gone after this year. All of the 2019 and '20 draft pick ECLs are sliding. Eichel is only 24 and locked up.

It would cost prospects we all like but Blake is not doing his job if he isn't inquiring.

His age does fit, IMO. This rebuild isn't going to take another five years. He'd be the #1C on this team for two more years after Kopitar's contract ends and he'd still be under 30. He could help lower Kopitar's minutes right now and extend Anze's career. Hell, Anze could go Thornton style and do team-friendly deals at the conclusion of this one if Eichel is here and he likes where the team is at.

We hope that any of these forward prospects are Eichel caliber. One in the hand is worth two in the bush at some point. Maybe that isn't right now but, IMO, some of these prospects will not live up to expectations so the idea of "waiting to see what we have" is also the same as "we keep them if they are good but we'll be cool to trade them if they are disappointing" which, of course, means they aren't as valuable in a trade at that point.
Very well reasoned, but I still see it as a big gamble. What do you think would be realistic in a trade from the Kings. If I were the Buffalo GM it would start with Byfield, Bjornfot, and possibly Kaliyev. As the Sabres GM, I would say no thanks to future draft picks, and just take three guys which were high draft picks by the Kings in recent drafts.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I think a reasonable trade would center around Byfield, a 1st and one of our young defensemen. I think it is definitely a move that the Kings should consider if they can acquire him for that amount. It instantly solves problems of bridging the gap between the veterans and the younger players. I think Eichel is a reasonable comparison to what Byfield could develop into; a PPG, puck possession monster at center. The Kings have the space and would still have a top 5 prospect pool even with losing Byfield. We have mentioned before that not all of these prospects will make the Kings, that some will end up moved. If Eichel really is available that becomes a very rare case and the Kings should be all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad