Around the League: 2019 Offseason || Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
LA got Hutton pretty cheap...You would have thought he could have got a bit more term than one year?

He’s Lucky he’s still in the NHL. Should get adequate minutes with the Kings but is a 6/7 on good teams. Gets burned too often defensively and has poor offensive instincts.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
If they couldn't pay Hutton 3+, what's Stecher worth?

It's not that they couldn't pay Hutton $3mil, it's that they didn't want to pay Hutton $3mil, and rightly so.

Stecher for me is a much better player and significantly more valuable asset moving forward. Have a feeling this season is a real coming out party for Troy. Really underrated two-way player. Guy is elite at transitioning the play, while somehow managing to be a strong defensive player at only 5'9.

Ability wise, Michael Zel Zotto is a better comparable for Hutton.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If they couldn't pay Hutton 3+, what's Stecher worth?
Not that they couldn’t have before making moves.

He did have arbitration rights as he’s 26 and had 4 years nhl experience.

It was based on his stats and usage he had an argument for getting mid to high $3 mill range.

Canucks seemed that to be too much so didn’t QO him.

As for Stecher same situation as he has arbitration rights after this season.

He’s at $2.3 mill. What will be his expected ask? If he’s a 3rd pairing guy behind Myers and Tanev all season Canucks can keep him in the mid to high $2 mill range.

Hutton was asking for higher than most teams had him slotted. He’s a low end 2nd pair guy. Fine for a non playoff team but if you have higher aspirations then he’s a third pairing guy. And non playoff teams would look to upgrade on him so not interested in too much term.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I just can't help but laugh at the notion $3m was too much to pay Ben Hutton. Now I already know the responses here will be about looking at what he ultimately signed for, I just find it incredibly ironic the folks praising the 33 year old 4th line C making $3m with a NTC and coming up with every excuse in the book to why it's ok to pay your 10th worst forward (at best) that much for that long, but say a 3 year $3m deal for a 25 year old who was used as a defacto #3 all year last year and put up really promising underlying metrics away from one specific player is ridiculous.

It's funny because the reasons are as transparent as it gets.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I just can't help but laugh at the notion $3m was too much to pay Ben Hutton. Now I already know the responses here will be about looking at what he ultimately signed for, I just find it incredibly ironic the folks praising the 33 year old 4th line C making $3m with a NTC and coming up with every excuse in the book to why it's ok to pay your 10th worst forward (at best) that much for that long, but say a 3 year $3m deal for a 25 year old who was used as a defacto #3 all year last year and put up really promising underlying metrics away from one specific player is ridiculous.

i liked and like hutton, but the only reason he's in a $3 million discussion tier is because the canucks thought he was more than he has turned out to be and overpaid him on his last deal. objectively, he's worth about the same as stecher. stecher's slightly better than him at everything except being big. i don't discount big, which allows hutton to play more and maybe tougher physical minutes, but on a make or break play i think most people would prefer stecher be the last defender as opposed to hutton.

i hope that a change of scenery allows hutton to take another step. la seems like a good place for that.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Wpg Jet D without Byfuglien can be described by sounding out the word Byfuglien.

Morrissey
Kulikov
Pionk
Beaulieu
Poolman
Niku

They need some R-side help.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
i liked and like hutton, but the only reason he's in a $3 million discussion tier is because the canucks thought he was more than he has turned out to be and overpaid him on his last deal. objectively, he's worth about the same as stecher. stecher's slightly better than him at everything except being big. i don't discount big, which allows hutton to play more and maybe tougher physical minutes, but on a make or break play i think most people would prefer stecher be the last defender as opposed to hutton.

i hope that a change of scenery allows hutton to take another step. la seems like a good place for that.
Hutton was signed after his rookie season where he played well. They gambled that he would improve but didn’t over the next 2 seasons.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Wpg Jet D without Byfuglien can be described by sounding out the word Byfuglien.

Morrissey
Kulikov
Pionk
Beaulieu
Poolman
Niku

They need some R-side help.
Jets defence went from one of the deeper groups in the league to... this in one offseason. Morrissey and a bunch of question marks. Yikes.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Hutton was signed after his rookie season where he played well. They gambled that he would improve but didn’t over the next 2 seasons.

Yeah.. and like everything these morons do, they shoot themselves in the effing foot by saddling their young defensive prospect with a traffic-cone-sub-replacement-trash partner.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Jets are in a tough spot but its not impossible for them to get the RSD that they need. Faulk and Ristolainen are available, and Winnipeg isn't on Faulk's no-trade list. Brodie while left handed can play the right side as well. They have 2 excellent young wingers to dangle in Ehler and Laine. Connor is still un-signed as well and has immense value if he was made available. They also have picks to offer.
I wouldn't count out the Jets just yet. They are obviously not as strong as last year, but the west is fairly weak that they should still make the playoff, maybe as a bubble team.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Also funny that thet simulatebously swallow the narrative that an arbitrator would have given him 4.4M. Just what in the world?

Reactions: Pip and 420Canuck

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
They absolutely could pay him 3m but they didn’t want it. They just do t like him as a player, and I agree.
Nah.

They... is Travis Green.

And for whatever reason, Travis and Ben never saw eye to eye.

And that was the end of the era of Ben Hutton.

It's amazing how badly this management does with managing Canucks assets.

We just let Ben Hutton go for free.

wtf.gif

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Nah.

They... is Travis Green.

And for whatever reason, Travis and Ben never saw eye to eye.

And that was the end of the era of Ben Hutton.

It's amazing how badly this management does with managing Canucks assets.

We just let Ben Hutton go for free.

wtf.gif

He wasn't worth anything. Articles were linked in this thread about how Hutton had no interest around the league for a trade. Sometimes a guy just isn't going to bring anything back. Ben Huttons are a dime a dozen.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He wasn't worth anything. Articles were linked in this thread about how Hutton had no interest around the league for a trade. Sometimes a guy just isn't going to bring anything back. Ben Huttons are a dime a dozen.
Jim Benning traded a 4th for Philip Larsen. He also traded a 3rd for Andrei Pedan. Also a 4th for Pouliot.

Just thought I'd provide a comparable to these dimes.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Jim Benning traded a 4th for Philip Larsen. He also traded a 3rd for Andrei Pedan. Also a 4th for Pouliot.

Just thought I'd provide a comparable to these dimes.

Hmm I wonder why Jim didnt trade a pick for Hutton, he would have paid a measly 2nd.

If only there were more GMs like Benning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad