Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Continue here.

Previous Thread: Around the League: 2019 Offseason

I really like the way Carolina is building their team. Smart contracts and cap hits galore.

Carolina and Colorado are doing business the right way. As much as I hate to admit it, Calgary’s model isn’t too shabby either. Nashville and Tampa are others. Boston will likely begin their decline over these next two years, but even I’ll have to admit that those guys were also brilliant in how their built their team. Anaheim will be brutal this coming season, but I can see them getting very good in the not so distant future as well.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Anyone hear anything about Hutton recently? Perhaps he's waiting for Gardiner to sign, though I'm not sure they're comparables whatsoever.

Very curious to see what kind of numbers he gets, and from who. I think he's been very overrated on these boards.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Anyone hear anything about Hutton recently? Perhaps he's waiting for Gardiner to sign, though I'm not sure they're comparables whatsoever.

Very curious to see what kind of numbers he gets, and from who. I think he's been very overrated on these boards.

Probably looking at a 1 year deal in the $1.5mil range. Show me deal for a #6 guy that still needs to prove he belongs in the NHL.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The delay in Gardiner signing suggests the market is soft for defensemen of his quality in my opinion, which also makes the Myers signing look even worse.

Honestly not even sure who could afford him (amongst non-bottom feeder/non terrible places to live or play) at around $5MM-ish once all the major RFA signings happen.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I would guess he's in a Dzingel situation where he's only being offered 2-3 years and is holding out hope that he'll hit a home run on term like Ferland did.

I bet if you asked Ferland or his agent about the contract he got they would refer to it as a bunt single, not a home run. They were looking for something in the neighbourhood of $40mil apparently a few months back and ended up settling for a third of that. Especially after seeing a guy with a vastly inferior body of work in Brandon Tanev come away with 50% more term than he got.

Reactions: Red

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Honestly not even sure who could afford him (amongst non-bottom feeder/non terrible places to live or play) at around $5MM-ish once all the major RFA signings happen.

Yes, it is demonstrating why a wait and see approach would have been more preferable than sign right away without thinking approach. Honestly, unless the free agent is an elite talent, or is signing at a home town discount, I don't think it makes too much sense to sign really quickly.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I bet if you asked Ferland or his agent about the contract he got they would refer to it as a bunt single, not a home run. They were looking for something in the neighbourhood of $40mil apparently a few months back and ended up settling for a third of that. Especially after seeing a guy with a vastly inferior body of work in Brandon Tanev come away with 50% more term than he got.

Well, this is because Brandon Tanev is a substantially better player than Michael Ferland.

It's also amazing what substantial injury concerns and a 24-game goal drought to close the season will do to your value.

Reactions: timw33

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Well, this is because Brandon Tanev is a substantially better player than Michael Ferland.

Also, some of the really high Ferland estimates came when he was riding shotgun on the Hurricanes top line with Aho and Terravainen and putting up big points. This ended and he finished the season relatively poorly and with injury concerns. The fact that the Hurricanes traded for him, and then after trying him on their top line, opted to trade for Neiderrieter shortly after says a lot about how they feel about Ferland.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

It's also amazing what substantial injury concerns and a 24-game goal drought to close the season will do to your value.

Over the last 9 years Brandon Tanev has been a better player than Ferland for probably 2 months. The 2 months when Ferland was playing through substantial injury. The other 100+ months Ferland was clearly the better hockey player.

If that makes Tanev the 'substantially better player' in your eyes, so be it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Reactions: sting101 and Red

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Also, some of the really high Ferland estimates came when he was riding shotgun on the Hurricanes top line with Aho and Terravainen and putting up big points. This ended and he finished the season relatively poorly and with injury concerns. The fact that the Hurricanes traded for him, and then after trying him on their top line, opted to trade for Neiderrieter shortly after says a lot about how they feel about Ferland.
He managed to pile on points riding shotgun on the best Flames line I think as well. Will produce if put with EP but who wouldn't?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Over the last 9 years Brandon Tanev has been a better player than Ferland for probably 2 months. The 2 months when Ferland was playing through substantial injury. The other 100+ months Ferland was clearly the better hockey player.

If that makes Tanev the 'substantially better player' in your eyes, so be it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I'm not really sure what games 9 years ago mean.

Tanev was better than Ferland last year and is one of the best checking-line wingers in the game. And is trending up.

I'm not saying he's Burrows but he's the closest thing we've seen to the pre-Sedin 3rd line Burrows. An elite defensive winger with a bunch of speed, a massive motor, and a skill level that is continuing to develop by leaps and bounds in his mid-20s. I'm a bit curious to see if he gets put with Crosby or Malkin as a defensive presence and what happens to his production if so.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Gardiner is going to get a 5 year deal minimum..probably around $6.5-7M.

Haven’t heard a peep about Ben Hutton (and he’s a guy I thought we could trade high on..?)

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

Tanev was better than Ferland last year and is one of the best checking-line wingers in the game. And is trending up.

I'm not saying he's Burrows but he's the closest thing we've seen to the pre-Sedin 3rd line Burrows. An elite defensive winger with a bunch of speed, a massive motor, and a skill level that is continuing to develop by leaps and bounds in his mid-20s. I'm a bit curious to see if he gets put with Crosby or Malkin as a defensive presence and what happens to his production if so.

It's not 9 years ago, It's 1 year ago, 2 years ago, 3 years ago and on and on and on...

Tanev was only better than Ferland when Ferland was battling injury. A healthy Ferland is superior to anything Tanev has ever shown. Ferland at his best is a top 6 impact forward, that is also intimidating physically. A rare breed of player.

Carolina fans pretty much unanimously said they would have loved to see Ferland brought back at $3.5mil - Jets fans wanted absolutely nothing to do with Tanev at that same cap hit. It's because Ferland can slot anywhere in your top 9, while Tanev has only ever shown he can perform on a 3rd or 4th line.

Both players are trending up. Both have shown year over year improvements for the last 4 consecutive years. The difference is Ferland has proven a lot more - averaging 15 even strength goals over the last 3 years. Tanev needs to string together production for another year or 2 before he's in the same tier as a guy like Ferland. He has 1 season with more than 8 goals in the NHL and he's in his late 20's...

Reactions: sting101

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Yeah,I'm with Hoghandler on this one..Ferland>Tanev
Speculation: - What does Ferland get?

Also, reading the posts/reactions on the main boards from Jets and Penguin fans regarding the Tanev signing..Both sides in total disbelief..I can just imagine if Benning signed a 4th liner (who has limited offensive skill) for 6 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->