Around the League: 2019 Offseason || Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I think he's gone within 2 years, too much drama around him and the team

This really shouldn't be as much of an issue as the article might make it sound. Wheeler's already 33 going into this season and he won't be the No. 1 RW forever. Plus doesn't Laine already play on the Jets' top PP unit?

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Imagine scoring 110 goals in 3 seasons at the age of 20 and not earning the first line minutes on ES. I'm not suprised that he is frustrated and expects to play with Scheifele to maximise his potential since Hayes and Little weren't players he clicked with almost at all.

Then again, maybe restrain yourself when Finnish sports tabloids interview you about these things, trying to make headlines to sell their papers with.

Last edited:

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
They trade Little before they trade Laine, I doubt he gets moved.

But we have a young, cost controlled top line winger.... I bet a better GM could figure something out here.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Hutty! Glad to see him get a spot on an NHL team. I think LA fans will be pretty ok with him.

Even if they're not sure he's a guy that will stick consistently in the lineup there is not much risk at 1.5 mil. Good signing.

-75 on his career though. Ouch.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The Canucks didn't want Hutton back period and even if they had offered him a 1 year deal, Hutton had already felt slighted by no QO and the team add two UFA a long with Quinn. I'd have left too.

It will be interesting to see how the blueline holds up now....Hughes is already dinged, Juolevi isn't healthy or capable, not sold on either college UFA from last season, and the Chatfield/Brisebois/Sautner group IMO will not produce a regular NHL player.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
This has been an off-season from hell for Winnipeg.

Lost: Byfuglien, Trouba, Myers, Chariot

Unsigned: Laine, Connor

I don't think you could have gotten a worse start to the season.

Reactions: cookiefest

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
LA got Hutton pretty cheap...You would have thought he could have got a bit more term than one year?

sometime the fan reaction reflects the market. he just generated no interest. even when he was the last guy standing, there was not a single quirky fan or fanbase out there championing hutton as a diamond in the rough they should target or grab. he didn't have a single backer who thought he was more than a nondescript 5/6 who might be useful and able to play more in a pinch. so maybe that's what he is.

also, most of the rumours and stories this summer seemed to be planted by his agent trying to create some buzz or at least establish that some teams wanted him. reading between the lines, he only seems to have ever had real interest from the kings.

i hope he turns it around. a new start and new system could work wonders for the guy.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
sometime the fan reaction reflects the market. he just generated no interest. even when he was the last guy standing, there was not a single quirky fan or fanbase out there championing hutton as a diamond in the rough they should target or grab. he didn't have a single backer who thought he was more than a nondescript 5/6 who might be useful and able to play more in a pinch. so maybe that's what he is.

also, most of the rumours and stories this summer seemed to be planted by his agent trying to create some buzz or at least establish that some teams wanted him. reading between the lines, he only seems to have ever had real interest from the kings.

i hope he turns it around. a new start and new system could work wonders for the guy.

Was confirmed this morning that Montreal offered him 3 years/$9 million on July 1 and he turned it down, before moving on to Chiarot. Also had multiple other offers.

His agent screwed up and mis-judged the market thinking he could get more, and then the bottom fell out as teams signed other guys. Same as happened to Gardiner.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Was confirmed this morning that Montreal offered him 3 years/$9 million on July 1 and he turned it down, before moving on to Chiarot. Also had multiple other offers..

wow. that's got to hurt. a lot. source?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Canucks didn't want Hutton back period and even if they had offered him a 1 year deal, Hutton had already felt slighted by no QO and the team add two UFA a long with Quinn. I'd have left too.

It will be interesting to see how the blueline holds up now....Hughes is already dinged, Juolevi isn't healthy or capable, not sold on either college UFA from last season, and the Chatfield/Brisebois/Sautner group IMO will not produce a regular NHL player.
I thought that reason the Canucks cut Hutton loose was because he qualified for arbitration...and there was a looming possibility that it could have swung in Hutton's favour..Paying Hutton $3M+ a season was a non starter..

I'm not 100% on this, but thats what I thought it was...

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I thought that reason the Canucks cut Hutton loose was because he qualified for arbitration...and there was a looming possibility that it could have swung in Hutton's favour..Paying Hutton $3M+ a season was a non starter..

I'm not 100% on this, but thats what I thought it was...

if he turned down $3m x 3 from montreal then we were right to walk. just shaking my head at the very idea of that.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
650 this morning. I believe it came directly from Hutton who they interviewed earlier, although I missed the interview. When I was driving to work, they were musing on the positive attitude of Hutton to missing out on that much money.

would be interested in whether he flat out said it, or they put it to him and he didn't confirm or deny it. there is an element of belated face saving to float the idea he was worth more but messed up.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
if he turned down $3m x 3 from montreal then we were right to walk. just shaking my head at the very idea of that.
I'm sure that $3M x 3 for Hutton would have generated a nasty response from Hab fans...Hutton is textbook example of a fanbase overrating their players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad