Around the League: 2019 Offseason || Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I still have no idea why they would bring him over and not just play him. So odd.

Gallant was likely reluctant to play someone he probably hadn't seen before and hence he just didn't trust him in the lineup. It may have been a mistake.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Johnson and McClement for Stewart and Shattenkirk....

Who knew Johnson would end up being the "best" player in this deal. Meh meh meh.

Well - I would say there was a solid six year stretch where Shattenkirk was definitely the best player in that deal. His game has regressed now, sure, but I would have taken him over Johnson for those six seasons.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Wonder if Yzerman would be interested in a very similar player in Goldobin for around that price.

While it would be nice to reduce the number of players the Canucks will be exposing to waivers, Yzerman had previously been quoted as saying he was looking for one more forward. That doesn't mean he won't make a trade he thinks it is a good one nor that he won't acquire someone if he sees a need during the season, but he probably doesn't perceive a need for another forward at this time.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Someone needs to drop an offersheet on one of the non-Marner RFAs.

Wish the NHL wasn't such a closed system so someone could drop an offersheet on a player like Provorov while GM's are all out at the cabin with limited cell service.

Reactions: cookiefest

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Someone needs to drop an offersheet on one of the non-Marner RFAs.

Wish the NHL wasn't such a closed system so someone could drop an offersheet on a player like Provorov while GM's are all out at the cabin with limited cell service.
I've been anti trading our picks, but I'd drop a fat offer sheet on Provorov and not think twice about it. 8,454,871 x 5 and trade whatever it takes to get rid of Loui and Sutter if Philly doesn't match.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I've been anti trading our picks, but I'd drop a fat offer sheet on Provorov and not think twice about it. 8,454,871 x 5 and trade whatever it takes to get rid of Loui and Sutter if Philly doesn't match.
lol, nobody wants that trash without giving up trash in return (Lucic) for him. We can only deal the 1st round pick three years from now (which obviously has limited value).

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
lol, nobody wants that trash without giving up trash in return (Lucic) for him. We can only deal the 1st round pick three years from now (which obviously has limited value).
Eh, like I said whatever it takes. In that scenario I'd trade that first, or two 2nds to dump Eriksson, or find easier trades for Sutter/Beagle/Leivo/Schaller, or dump Tanev/Baertschi/Pearson if you can't find a way to move all the other garbage on the roster.

There's 8 carefully handcrafted and selected Benning contracts right there to choose from, just dump whatever you can in whichever deal hurts you the least.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
That Laine situation is getting really weird in Winnipeg...How long is it until he pulls a Puljujarvi?
Canucks should try in snag him. I threw out an offer in the main forums thread about this and its a lot a pieces but think it could get it done

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The Canucks would be one of the only teams in the league worse for Laine than Winnipeg seems to be.

Dude needs to go to Carolina to play with Teravainen and Aho. He'd score 60 goals on that line.

Reactions: cookiefest

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Laine is an elite scorer. That’s about all I like about him. He seems like he always needs a kick in the ass

Such a frustrating player—he plays games at like 20% effort level. Wasted talent even though he's scored 110 goals in his first 3 years.

Reactions: The Drop

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I firmly believe Laine could be a generational scorer if only he wasn't such a candy ass. I've never seen anything like his shot before. That Laine shot from the hash marks is like Happy Gilmore and if he had any sort of tenacity, he would be unstoppable. But he's a soft European zoomer who's been physically bigger than his competition all the way until the NHL, so this is what we get.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Laine was the highest scoring teenager in the last 30 years.

It’s hilarious how one season can change people’s minds on 21 year old.
I dont think its what you think it is...

He was just bad last year, everyone knows he's an amazing goalscorer and hoping he turns it around. But he was basically invisible last year if he wasn't scoring a goal. And thats a bummer bc the talent is so obvious.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Marner looking to train in Switzerland if not signed by the time Toronto opens camp on September 13.

Wonder what Boeser is planning if he doesn't get signed. 3 weeks to go.

Still a few other big names out there: Laine, Connor, Point, Tkachuk, Rantanen, McAvoy, Provorov.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Marner looking to train in Switzerland if not signed by the time Toronto opens camp on September 13.

Wonder what Boeser is planning if he doesn't get signed. 3 weeks to go.

Still a few other big names out there: Laine, Connor, Point, Tkachuk, Rantanen, McAvoy, Provorov.

That's a significant raft of talent still out there swinging in the wind. Although, once a couple of them get signed, I think more pieces will rapidly fall into place.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Colin White 6yr $4.75MM

Pretty good bet by Ottawa. Would think that the Konecny deal will get done shortly with this as a comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad