Around the League: 2019 Offseason || Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Marner looking to train in Switzerland if not signed by the time Toronto opens camp on September 13.

Wonder what Boeser is planning if he doesn't get signed. 3 weeks to go.

Still a few other big names out there: Laine, Connor, Point, Tkachuk, Rantanen, McAvoy, Provorov.
empty threat by his agent. I think the top salary in Switzerland is like a million. Even it were 100% tax free, he's not going over there when absolute stiffs like Schaller make just under two million.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
empty threat by his agent. I think the top salary in Switzerland is like a million. Even it were 100% tax free, he's not going over there when absolute stiffs like Schaller make just under two million.

he has skyhigh expectations, a reportedly nightmare dad advising him and the leafs can compete in the regular season without him. dubas has already taken a lot of heat over blowing up the rfa salaries, and there is currently an impasse across the league on high priced rfas.

based on that, i think the leafs will wait for other rfas to sign and use them as comparables to force marner's hand. so i think he sits and spins, whether in switzerland or wherever.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
he has skyhigh expectations, a reportedly nightmare dad advising him and the leafs can compete in the regular season without him. dubas has already taken a lot of heat over blowing up the rfa salaries, and there is currently an impasse across the league on high priced rfas.

based on that, i think the leafs will wait for other rfas to sign and use them as comparables to force marner's hand. so i think he sits and spins, whether in switzerland or wherever.
The Leafs can’t afford a bloated cap hit this season like the one they took for Nylander last season.

So, going into the season without him isn’t good for them either.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Bill Guerin new GM in Minnesota.

upload_2019-8-21_16-50-15.png

upload_2019-8-21_16-51-12.png

upload_2019-8-21_16-50-38.png

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The Leafs can’t afford a bloated cap hit this season like the one they took for Nylander last season.

So, going into the season without him isn’t good for them either.

none of the options are good, but i thought they picked up clarkson's contract to give themselves enough ltir to weather that.

Reactions: mossey3535

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yikes Bill, what happened man!?
Each former player ages differently. Sakic and Linden are both around 50 and are still lean. Linden does a lot of biking and cross country skiing to stay in shape. Other former players form the late 90’s are pushing between 25-30% body fat.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Each former player ages differently. Sakic and Linden are both around 50 and are still lean. Linden does a lot of biking and cross country skiing to stay in shape. Other former players form the late 90’s are pushing between 25-30% body fat.
Keith Tkachuk got a head start moving up to XXXXX size *while he was still a NHLer*.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

You misinterpret. He's not signing with them. He is going there to train with a Swiss team while the Leafs figure out WTF they are doing with him. It allows him to keep in shape with a team which he couldn't do over here. He'd have to train by himself or with a beer league team over here.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
So... was he lying then when he was recorded with cocaine on the table in that vid?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Someone needs to drop an offersheet on one of the non-Marner RFAs.

Wish the NHL wasn't such a closed system so someone could drop an offersheet on a player like Provorov while GM's are all out at the cabin with limited cell service.

Exactly which NHL team has the cap space going forward to sign Provorov to an offer that Philly won't be able to match?

Not alot of options out there.

Reactions: CanuckCity

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The Canucks would be one of the only teams in the league worse for Laine than Winnipeg seems to be.

Dude needs to go to Carolina to play with Teravainen and Aho. He'd score 60 goals on that line.

I agree and then find a way to trade for Pool party then there will be direct flights from Helsinki to Raleigh.:thumbu:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Marner looking to train in Switzerland if not signed by the time Toronto opens camp on September 13.

Wonder what Boeser is planning if he doesn't get signed. 3 weeks to go.

Still a few other big names out there: Laine, Connor, Point, Tkachuk, Rantanen, McAvoy, Provorov.

Marner is screwed and has no leverage, that was obvious when the Leafs signed Matthews thus avoiding this situation with him as the Yotes very well might have offered sheeted him.

Most of these players listed above have very few reasonable options and as a GM I really wonder if these guys don't sign sometime soon, or if any of them hold out, how it will affect team chemistry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad