Around the League 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That’s a good way to juice up your chirps/60

I get the idea of ‘dealing with consequences’ as per the code but that’s when you ask a guy to go straight up, you don’t crosscheck them then attempt a Todd Bertuzzi move. That’s the issue I have. The crosscheck is whatever, the drop gloves and commence ground and pound is bush league.

Reactions: theMajor

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
That’s a good way to juice up your chirps/60

I get the idea of ‘dealing with consequences’ as per the code but that’s when you ask a guy to go straight up, you don’t crosscheck them then attempt a Todd Bertuzzi move. That’s the issue I have. The crosscheck is whatever, the drop gloves and commence ground and pound is bush league.

Except the "ground and pound" was nothing like Bertuzzi/Moore and consisted of little noogies that were more like close-handed face washes. If he even reared back and threw a real punch, he'd have picked up a suspension.

Laughton won't go with Tkachuk. I love a real young kid sticking up for his team's honor like that. Goes a long way as that team matures together. We'd piss ourselves if any of the zombies on this team showed the same fire.

Reactions: savemefromtears

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Except the "ground and pound" was nothing like Bertuzzi/Moore and consisted of little noogies that were more like close-handed face washes. If he even reared back and threw a real punch, he'd have picked up a suspension.

Laughton won't go with Tkachuk. I love a real young kid sticking up for his team's honor like that. Goes a long way as that team matures together. We'd piss ourselves if any of the zombies on this team showed the same fire.

Give me a break. That was self-serving as hell. And even if it weren’t, jumping a guy from behind is something I’d call out on any team. Nothing honorable about fully attacking from behind when he had all game to do literally anything else. That’s some beer league handshake line fighting garbage.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Give me a break. That was self-serving as hell. And even if it weren’t, jumping a guy from behind is something I’d call out on any team. Nothing honorable about fully attacking from behind when he had all game to do literally anything else. That’s some beer league handshake line fighting garbage.

If it against someone who doesn't play honorably then it is fine.

Self-serving? Only if he chirped Tkachuk directly and nobody else. Don't think any of the Senators were upset with him for doing it.

It is a far cry from starting a fight in a handshake line.

I was too sweeping with my statement that everyone here would love it if a Kings player did it. A lot of us would though. Imagine this place if a Kings player did that to Matthew Tkachuk.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Self-serving? Only if he chirped Tkachuk directly and nobody else. Don't think any of the Senators were upset with him for doing it.

I was too sweeping with my statement that everyone here would love it if a Kings player did it. A lot of us would though. Imagine this place if a Kings player did that to Matthew Tkachuk.

There are a lot of things I'd love our players to do to anyone. Hearing MacD is playing with a leash is infuriating, I always wish Clifford was a little less honorable, and I'd practically kill for someone to take a real roughing penalty or anything aggressive other than the usual hooking, holding, snuggling calls they get.

There's a short list of things that infuriate me that have no place in hockey and jumping a downed opponent is one of them. Even if said opponent were Matthew Tkachuk. I'd be pissed and annoyed that someone wasted a penalty on bush league play when you have 58 other minutes in which to plaster him or do something else. If he wont fight, just run the bejesus out of him or his teammates. Sure, Laughton earned some ire, but there are a million less cowardly ways to get at it. Chirping isn't a particularly wild play, not sure how the end justifies the means here.

Reactions: crassbonanza

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

This was super f***ing dirty and was in my opinion worse than trying to start a fight in the handshake line. Brady was throwing a tantrum and ended up laying a cheap shot. I'd kind of understand your point if he had just thrown the cheap cross check, but his follow up including punching a guy on the ice in the back of the head was not something that is OK over trash talk. Especially when the guy just came back from a hand injury and can't fight. It's the kind of cheap shit that Matty Tkachuk would pull. I wouldn't love it if a King did what Brady did, just like I wouldn't love the cheap shit that Matty does.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Jesus guys...he barely did anything to him while he was on the ice. The crosscheck was actually more violent, its just the optics of jumping on his back.

Apparently, Laughton had a questionable hit or two in the game as well and did not answer the bell when given the opportunity. He had something coming and he got something but, again, that something was all bark and not much bite. I see Tkachuk jump on his back, throw little five inch jabs with the hand holding the jersey and basically just talk a bunch of trash to the guy. Didn't even get a fighting major and was fined for the crosscheck and not the aftermath.

If he actually Bertuzzi'd him or went McSorley on Evans then we can talk. He didn't even have the intent to do so: he just jumped on his back. I mean, what his brother did while on the ice to Doughty this year in that little line skirmish was worse. I'd agree with you if what happened was egregious as you think it was but we obviously see the play differently.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Jesus guys...he barely did anything to him while he was on the ice. The crosscheck was actually more violent, its just the optics of jumping on his back.

Apparently, Laughton had a questionable hit or two in the game as well and did not answer the bell when given the opportunity. He had something coming and he got something but, again, that something was all bark and not much bite. I see Tkachuk jump on his back, throw little five inch jabs with the hand holding the jersey and basically just talk a bunch of trash to the guy. Didn't even get a fighting major and was fined for the crosscheck and not the aftermath.

If he actually Bertuzzi'd him or went McSorley on Evans then we can talk. He didn't even have the intent to do so: he just jumped on his back. I mean, what his brother did while on the ice to Doughty this year in that little line skirmish was worse. I'd agree with you if what happened was egregious as you think it was but we obviously see the play differently.

Just because the ref was there and he didn't get real shots off it's honorable and less cowardly? And him throwing worthless rabbit punches is sticking up for his guys?

I'm sorry man you're all over the map on this one. I agree he didn't get to do much but I don't agree that this was some by-the-code act of man's hockey. And I'd feel the same way about any King jumping a dude from behind even if he punched like a bitch which is highly likely given the krazy glue in our team's gloves. At least just grab the guy by his jersey and spin him around and drop the gloves and do it that way, like Matthew tried to do to Muzzin. Don't wait until the guy goes down when you've literally had ALL GAME.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

What’s your obsession with some supposed “answering of the bell”? Big, legal hits and chirps (of all things, come on) don’t demand retribution. Bottom line. If you jump someone from behind and try to punch them when they’re defenseless on the ice because they chirped you, then you’re a real douchebag of a hockey player.

The only person that needs to “answer the bell” next game is Tkachuk for acting like a moron.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Who knows if we will. But whatever skeleton he had was bad enough for Dallas to get in front of it

Doesn't sound like it was a skeleton.

According to Nill he got the call on Saturday, it happened during his tenure with Dallas, wasn't illegal and had nothing to do with any players. I have to imagine gambling?

Reactions: YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Doesn't sound like it was a skeleton.

According to Nill he got the call on Saturday, it happened during his tenure with Dallas, wasn't illegal and had nothing to do with any players. I have to imagine gambling?

I am interested in what it was too. definitely was not a skeleton as it was recent. No employee or player involved and not abusive. Very curious.

Gambling is a good guess. Too bad bodog doesn't have a prop bet for what he did. You could gamble on it being gambling.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
What’s your obsession with some supposed “answering of the bell”? Big, legal hits and chirps (of all things, come on) don’t demand retribution. Bottom line. If you jump someone from behind and try to punch them when they’re defenseless on the ice because they chirped you, then you’re a real *****ebag of a hockey player.

The only person that needs to “answer the bell” next game is Tkachuk for acting like a moron.

Laughton was a real douchebag all game. The code goes out the window if a guy isn't going to follow it. Even then, Tkachuk didn't really do much to him.

As for my obsession, I see good, tight-knit teams sticking up for each other and not taking shit from anybody rolling by their bench and talking shit. I see bad teams just bend over and take it in the ass, like your Los Angeles Kings. Ottawa is building towards something just like the Kings are supposed to be doing except they are showing spark and fight (the Tkachuk incident was not the only thing from this game) while the Kings are just punching the clock.

I never said what Tkachuk did was honorable but rather that he was sticking up for his teams honor. Laughton ran around all night, refused to answer for it and then topped it off by rubbing Ottawa's face in it with the bench chirp after scoring. Tkachuk had already challenged earlier in the game and Laughton wouldn't go so the idea of "having all game" to do something is a moot point. Laughton played stupid games and won a stupid prize.

Back to my obsession:

Why do I feel someone taking runs and talking shit all night should be targeted?
Why do I feel someone shooting the puck after the whistle should be beat?
Why do I feel that someone skating over the center ice line during warm ups should be targeted?
Why do I feel someone hacking at the goalie after the whistle or giving one a snow shower should be beat?
Why do I feel that someone putting a big hit on a star player--clean or not--should be beat?

Answer: Because it is still f***ing hockey out there no matter how hard everyone is trying to change it. I might be a dinosaur living in the Cretaceous Period but the god damn meteor hasn't hit just yet.

The Kings have been so f***ing "honorable" for years now that I actually think it is a problem. They have no edge to their game. Easy to play against and teams know that if they want to start pushing them around, they most certainly can. I mean, Tkachuk lowbridges Doughty and then tries to claw his face off while Giordano nearly kills Clifford. Next time they play, nobody does a damn thing except for Clifford waiting an hour after the hit on Porky to get retribution and he does it so f***ing honorably that he never throws one god damn punch and gets thrown out of the game. Embarassing. Go back to last season with the Wagner and Clifford concussions: nothing. More than nothing, players are laughing with Karlsson after the Wagner hit.

I'm not advocating just jumping guys all of the time, but I'm perfectly fine with what Tkachuk did under the circumstances. I'd love if a Kings player did that in the same situation at this point. If you guys have been having fun cheering for this team the last few years then I don't know what to tell you but I'm dying to have the feeling that the team I follow and spend money on gives a shit and has some pride.

Reactions: Kingspiracy
Jul 31, 2005
CA
I am interested in what it was too. definitely was not a skeleton as it was recent. No employee or player involved and not abusive. Very curious.

Gambling is a good guess. Too bad bodog doesn't have a prop bet for what he did. You could gamble on it being gambling.

Heard it was because he played Last Christmas by Wham on repeat on the team plane. The players weren't upset that it's a song by an openly gay band most likely about 2 men but the fact that Christmas is used in the title rather than the safe word "Holidays".

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Heard it was because he played Last Christmas by Wham on repeat on the team plane. The players weren't upset that it's a song by an openly gay band most likely about 2 men but the fact that Christmas is used in the title rather than the safe word "Holidays".

Nah, it was for playing Paul McCartney's "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time" on repeat non-stop. What a ****ing tyrant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad