Around the League 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Rantanen now signs.

I believe now the only remaining big name RFA is Connor.

The NHL should just give away RFA in exchange for something else in the next CBA negotiations. Rantanen gave up nothing here. Well, I guess 2 years of UFA but that's not going to mean squat as he'll be what, 28/29 when he hits UFA?

The cost-controlling aspect of having a good young RFA is going away rapidly. Might as well try to exchange that for shorter contracts or non-guaranteed money.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The NHL should just give away RFA in exchange for something else in the next CBA negotiations. Rantanen gave up nothing here. Well, I guess 2 years of UFA but that's not going to mean squat as he'll be what, 28/29 when he hits UFA?

The cost-controlling aspect of having a good young RFA is going away rapidly. Might as well try to exchange that for shorter contracts or non-guaranteed money.
If the Avs are keeping Rantanen until he is 28-29 years of age they are getting almost all of his prime years.

Very similar to what the Kings did with Doughty and Kopitar on their second contracts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If the Avs are keeping Rantanen until he is 28-29 years of age they are getting almost all of his prime years.

Very similar to what the Kings did with Doughty and Kopitar on their second contracts.

I'm glad they worked it out and I think this contract is good for both parties for sure. But really, RFA doesn't mean much anymore as players seem to be signing for their value a lot more often than getting screwed a bit because they have no leverage. If I was the NHL, I'd consider reducing UFA to 4 or 5 years of service in return for a system where the last year or two of a contract is not guaranteed depending on how long it is. There would have to be some sort of cap penalty, of course.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Lou would have never given into that Marner deal.

Leafs should have never signed Tavares. They had enough rising stars that were going to get paid. All the money is tied up in forwards for year, how will they ice a solid D core after this year?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Lou would have never given into that Marner deal.

Leafs should have never signed Tavares. They had enough rising stars that were going to get paid. All the money is tied up in forwards for year, how will they ice a solid D core after this year?

I guess so, but man, I’d love to have Tavares, Matthews, and Marner on our team. That’s as excellent a trio of forwards as one could hope for on a team. That rivals prime Kopitar, Carter, and Richards from 2012.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I guess so, but man, I’d love to have Tavares, Matthews, and Marner on our team. That’s as excellent a trio of forwards as one could hope for on a team. That rivals prime Kopitar, Carter, and Richards from 2012.

It does. They are just lacking Doughty-Mitchell-Scuderi-Voynov, which they will never have. :naughty:

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

Problem is, we had Doughty, Martinez, Hickey, Muzzin, Voynov and Greene... oh and Quick and Bernier... Toronto is f***ed until they realize they need to move a Nylander or one of the big 3 for Dmen... They should have traded Nylander for Pesce+ when it was offered

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I've been railing on them more than most but I think TO's D will be better than last year. Reilly, Muzzin, Barrie, Sandin, Dermott are all awesome to various degrees. Unfortunately, the shutdown/PK guys are Muzzin and....who?

Reilly will have to take on harder minutes at some point. We know they didn't get Barrie for him to be a shutdown guy.

I mean, that team is friggin loaded for offense even from the back end. Not sure how they'll handle a relentless forecheck though.

Edit: lol Ceci. Hope that's not their shutdown/PK pairing.

Reactions: LAKings88

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad