GDT: Around the League 2019-20 v24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Unfortunately they're bogged down by a slew of tweeners and AHLers. If we had a star player on defense or in net things might be different.

Meh, the league is full of teams with stars that regularly lose to crappy teams that don't deserve to win. Randomness is killing the league.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't personally like to see a team outshoot another team by double, have one of their players randomly break a stick on a mundane play leading to a loss. All in OT where the winning team looked like they were barely holding on for 95% of the game.

This isn't a new phenomenon, goalies stealing games. Weird, random shit has been happening in playoff games for years. You as an Oiler fan should know that, Steve Smith ring a bell?

Reactions: Grantham

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I mentioned a few days back and I'll say it again - the Nucks are killing them in the faceoff circle. They don't deserve to win games like this but credit where credit is due - the little things do make a difference. Oil should take notice.

Anyway if this this Demko Jacques Plante impersonation wasn't frustrating enough, I've also been cheering for the Isles... who I think are now in big trouble.

It seems like whatever team I’ve bandwagoned this round is on the way to choking the series away (Dallas, Isles and Vegas). Can at least one of them win, please??

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This isn't a new phenomenon, goalies stealing games. Weird, random shit has been happening in playoff games for years. You as an Oiler fan should know that, Steve Smith ring a bell?

The Oilers won 5 Cups in 7 years still. In today's game they'd be lucky to win 2.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Meh, the league is full of teams with stars that regularly lose to crappy teams that don't deserve to win. Randomness is killing the league.
I dunno, most of the megastars in the league already have a ring or three. We've won 8 playoff games since McDavid was drafted. It's starting to get a bit frustrating.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The Oilers won 5 Cups in 7 years still. In today's game they'd be lucky to win 2.

So? Unless it's your favorite team, who the hell wants to see the same team win every year?
Furthermore, you're wrong. The Kings and Blackhawks were winning just about every Cup for about 5 years (2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015) then the Pens won back to back Cups right after that. This "randomness" thing is being overstated.
You also say that stars don't win anymore yet Crosby and Ovechkin won 3 straight years recently.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I mentioned a few days back and I'll say it again - the Nucks are killing them in the faceoff circle. They don't deserve to win games like this but credit where credit is due - the little things do make a difference. Oil should take notice.

Anyway if this this Demko Jacques Plante impersonation wasn't frustrating enough, I've also been cheering for the Isles... who I think are now in big trouble.

I know a guy who bet on Dallas, Vegas, and New York to all win their series....

Feel like Monty Burns with the nuclear plant softball team here...one blown 3-1 lead? Well it's conceivable. Two? Hmmm there's an outside chance. But Three?!

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
the Randomness is what makes hockey enjoyable. You can't just sit behind a screen and cherry pick advanced stats, You can't just sign the greatest player and assume you're going to win the cup.

Reactions: Grantham

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Is somebody going to come in and say Demko's performance is unsustainable again? Yeah it's unsustainable over a long term but the Hamburglar played out of his mind for 20 games to get Ottawa in the playoffs so even a below average NHL goalie can go on a run and carry a team to success.

I agree. Magic can happen in short runs. Just really really hope it doesn’t continue. Plus it is super annoying to watch.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So? Unless it's your favorite team, who the hell wants to see the same team win every year?
Furthermore, you're wrong. The Kings and Blackhawks were winning just about every Cup for about 5 years (2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015) then the Pens won back to back Cups. This "randomness" thing is being overstated.

I want to see skill and deserving teams go through. I'd rather see two teams share 10 cups if they deserve it than have a random mediocre team knock out a more deserving team every year.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I dunno, most of the megastars in the league already have a ring or three. We've won 8 playoff games since McDavid was drafted. It's starting to get a bit frustrating.

McKinnon, Matthews, Pastrnak, Kucherov, Stamkos, Panarin, Eichel are all cupless. Doesn't make it easier to take, but lots of good players haven't won the SC yet.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
the Randomness is what makes hockey enjoyable. You can't just sit behind a screen and cherry pick advanced stats, You can't just sign the greatest player and assume you're going to win the cup.

Disagree. Randomness reduces the game to a battle of ping pong and who can get the most lucky deflections.

Reactions: McOilers97

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

I know where @Cloned is coming from because I feel like randomness has defined these playoffs particularly (not entirely), but I rarely feel like the Cup winner wasn’t one of the best teams that season.

One could argue the Kings first cup but they looked more good than bad in the season and things started to click early. One could also argue Canes in 06 (or Oilers if they had won) but both of those teams were better than their record showed.

Blues could be argued but Binnington was a revelation (and now maybe already done?) and everyone saw how they came on in the second half of the season.

Canucks could be one of those teams this year, but I think they’ll have to be more consistent against Tampa for example.

The merely ‘fortunate teams’ seem to come undone by the finals when ‘luck runs out’ and the better of the two teams takes it.

Whoever wins this year will deserve it at this point.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I want to see skill and deserving teams go through. I'd rather see two teams share 10 cups if they deserve it than have a random mediocre team knock out a more deserving team every year.

Buddy, I feel like you're arguing for the sake of arguing.
I just showed you that top teams are winning the Cup every year pretty much. Which teams in recent times didn't deserve to win the Cup? You'll see upsets in the early rounds but that's where it usually ends.

As far as in game randomness, hockey has always been a game of bounces but generally the better teams win out in the end.

Also, the 4 years prior to St. Louis, it was Washington, Pittsburgh twice and the Hawks winning Cups, all skilled teams with superstar skilled players.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Is somebody going to come in and say Demko's performance is unsustainable again? Yeah it's unsustainable over a long term but the Hamburglar played out of his mind for 20 games to get Ottawa in the playoffs so even a below average NHL goalie can go on a run and carry a team to success.

Yeah, or Halak for the Habs that one year.

Or you can have a Binnington where they turn into a headcase overnight

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I know where @Cloned is coming from because I feel like randomness has defined these playoffs particularly (not entirely), but I rarely feel like the Cup winner wasn’t one of the best teams that season.

One could argue the Kings first cup but they looked more good than bad in the season and things started to click early. One could also argue Canes in 06 (or Oilers if they had won) but both of those teams were better than their record showed.

Blues could be argued but Binnington was a revelation (and now maybe already done?) and everyone saw how they came on in the second half of the season.

Canucks could be one of those teams this year, but I think they’ll have to be more consistent against Tampa for example.

The merely ‘fortunate teams’ seem to come undone by the finals when ‘luck runs out’ and the better of the two teams takes it.

Whoever wins this year will deserve it at this point.

It was really unbelievable that they got past St Louis, Very few people had them going to game 7 against Vegas. IF by some miracle they win tomorrow and then proceed to win against whoever they play in the finals. I don't see them doing well against Tampa, they are a much faster and complete team. I honestly don't see anyone in the West coming out against them

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Buddy, I feel like you're arguing for the sake of arguing.
I just showed you that top teams are winning the Cup every year pretty much. Which teams in recent times didn't deserve to win the Cup? You'll see upsets in the early rounds but that's where it usually ends.

As far as in game randomness, hockey has always been a game of bounces but generally the better teams win out in the end.

Just because one of the top teams ends up defying the randomness it doesn't mean that other deserving teams aren't getting knocked out earlier.

If one top team takes out another top team, that's fine. I don't like it when a random mediocre team comes in and upsets a top team due to nothing more than random bounces. I mean if it's something where the top team gets complacent and doesn't play well and gets dominated, that's different. But if it's something like what we saw tonight, no thanks.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I agree. Magic can happen in short runs. Just really really hope it doesn’t continue. Plus it is super annoying to watch.

I've gone from hoping LV wiped out the Canucks, to putting up with watching them trash talk like idiots who have never won anything and don't realize that good teams don't give their opponent any life, to now almost hoping they gag in game 7. Biggest bunch of talkers that have never won squat I've ever seen. Only problem is I don't want the Canucks to win either. Although as long as the Canucks lose at some point, their continued participation will keep me interested. Their losing to Boston in the final in 2011 was as much as I've enjoyed watching a non Oiler SC final in the last 30 years. More painful for their fan base losing that late.

Reactions: TB12

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Just because one of the top teams ends up defying the randomness it doesn't mean that other deserving teams aren't getting knocked out earlier.

If one top team takes out another top team, that's fine. I don't like it when a random mediocre team comes in and upsets a top team due to nothing more than random bounces. I mean if it's something where the top team gets complacent and doesn't play well and gets dominated, that's different. But if it's something like what we saw tonight, no thanks.

You're not giving any examples of this happening regularly in modern times. Which deserving teams aren't winning out every year?

You also said that skill doesn't win out anymore and stars don't win when I showed you that's not true with the Hawks, Pens and Caps in 4 of the last 5 years. If anything, skill is being more emphasized the last 5 years or so.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
It was really unbelievable that they got past St Louis, Very few people had them going to game 7 against Vegas. IF by some miracle they win tomorrow and then proceed to win against whoever they play in the finals. I don't see them doing well against Tampa, they are a much faster and complete team. I honestly don't see anyone in the West coming out against them

Not to take away from the series win against St Louis but Binnington seemed to get rattled fast. That’s the Blues problem though and you take it and run no matter who you are

Doubt creeped into my mind with Vegas after they lost game 2. I thought they would buckle down and squeak out that win (but have it a close game). I like DeBoer but I think he’s a downgrade on Gallant. He out coached himself against Penguins that one year too (though the Penguins were dominant and made the Sharks look silly too IMO)

Totally agree on Tampa. After they exorcised their demons with Columbus I felt it was theirs to lose. Especially now with these other series getting dragged out with whatever teams winning being depleted and not looking as sharp as they could heading into the conference finals. Tampa should demolish Isles or Philly and I see them winning in 6 at the most against whatever team comes out of the West. Too many question marks for every team left.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You're not giving any examples of this happening regularly in modern times. Which deserving teams aren't winning out every year?

You also said that skill doesn't win out anymore and stars don't win when I showed you that's not true with the Hawks, Pens and Caps in 4 of the last 5 years. If anything, skill is being more emphasized the last 5 years or so.
I mean, last year all four division leaders were knocked out in the first round.

Reactions: Grantham and Cloned

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I've gone from hoping LV wiped out the Canucks, to putting up with watching them trash talk like idiots who have never won anything and don't realize that good teams don't give their opponent any life, to now almost hoping they gag in game 7. Biggest bunch of talkers that have never won squat I've ever seen. Only problem is I don't want the Canucks to win either. Although as long as the Canucks lose at some point, their continued participation will keep me interested. Their losing to Boston in the final in 2011 was as much as I've enjoyed watching a non Oiler SC final in the last 30 years. More painful for their fan base losing that late.

I’d like this if I could. Pretty much my exact feelings on these two teams. I kind of want Vegas to choke now (had a good laugh last year even though I’m not crazy about the sharks...took their fans down a notch on entitlement). Who knows, maybe someone good shakes loose if they do? And Markstrom might (?) be unsigned if Canucks complete the comeback and he becomes ‘the guy’.

Reactions: bellagiobob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad