GDT: Around the League 2019-20 v24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Do you remember Bill Ranford, 1990 cup finals, where oilers won the cup vs Boston? Ranford was absolutely brilliant and stole no less than 2 games where the oilers were vastly outplayed. As a matter of fact Ranford stood on his head so often he won the conn smyth...Oilers won several games that they had no business winning. That was the oilers last cup win, no ranford no win. Now 30 years later you are on a crusade to save the game lol

came here to thank you guys for having the luck of playing in Edmonton on the Canucks side, but i didnt expect this cranky salt mine haha

Don't place so much importance on your team, lol. I've been on this "crusade" since before this game, before your series with Vegas. I'd actually be saying the same thing if you were dominating Vegas and lost. I also said it because the Islanders lost to the Flyers tonight despite outshooting them by double. I've said it in regards to Dallas vs. Colorado too.

As for the 1990 Cup Finals, it makes up for the 1986 Steve Smith goal. ;)

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Do you remember Bill Ranford, 1990 cup finals, where oilers won the cup vs Boston? Ranford was absolutely brilliant and stole no less than 2 games where the oilers were vastly outplayed. As a matter of fact Ranford stood on his head so often he won the conn smythe...Oilers won several games that they had no business winning. That was the oilers last cup win, no ranford no win. Now 30 years later you are on a crusade to save the game lol

came here to thank you guys for having the luck of playing in Edmonton on the Canucks side, but i didnt expect this cranky salt mine haha

Oh look, another Canuck fan shocked that not everyone in Canada is cheering them on. Seems to be a common trait of Vancouver and Toronto inhabitants, like everyone else in Canada should look up to you and your joke teams. Sorry pal.

Also:

tenor.gif

Edit: Before you go, will you admit the same if Demko pulls a Ranford for your team too then?

Also what @Cloned said. I don’t like when teams lose when they dominate games. Not satisfied when a team I cheer for gets dominated and wins. It feels undeserved. If the situation was reversed and Vegas won the last two games after being dominated by the Canucks I wouldn’t like it

Last edited:

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Like I said, I'm not just focusing on the eventual Cup winner. I want the better teams to advance through each round.

For a NBA example:

Is one of the best teams in the NBA going to win the Championship this year? Yes.

Are they all still playing in the 2nd round right now? Also yes.

Did any undeserving teams make it past the 1st round? No.

If it was the NHL, the answers to those questions might be yes, no and yes. That's where I don't like it. It should be best-on-best, all the time.
NBA is too far the other way imo...somewhere in the middle would be nice.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Hopefully the Canucks win. I dislike Vegas so much. Almost as much as California teams but not not to the same degree.

I also dislike Vegas. I generally dislike overly dickish teams and they're pretty dickish, although the level of dickishness is certainly less with Eakin gone. That said Reaves is such a prick that it just permeates. Several players I like too and obviously Fleury is a super nice guy.

No matter who wins I won't be disappointed because one of these teams will be going home, and I'll just cheer for Colorado or Dallas in the Conference Final.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I also dislike Vegas. I generally dislike overly dickish teams and they're pretty dickish, although the level of dickishness is certainly less with Eakin gone. That said Reaves is such a prick that it just permeates. Several players I like too and obviously Fleury is a super nice guy.

No matter who wins I won't be disappointed because one of these teams will be going home, and I'll just cheer for Colorado or Dallas in the Conference Final.

Think I would rather just see Colorado or Vancouver come out of the west.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Oh look, another Canuck fan shocked that not everyone in Canada is cheering them on. Seems to be a common trait of Vancouver and Toronto inhabitants, like everyone else in Canada should look up to you and your joke teams. Sorry pal.

Also:

tenor.gif

Edit: Before you go, will you admit the same if Demko pulls a Ranford for your team too then?

Also what @Cloned said. I don’t like when teams lose when they dominate games. Not satisfied when a team I cheer for gets dominated and wins. It feels undeserved. If the situation was reversed and Vegas won the last two games after being dominated by the Canucks I wouldn’t like it

I knew the Canucks would make it to game 7 against Vegas.

Said nobody ever.

Vegas is not a powerhouse. Imo never have been. Most of their success comes from goaltending as well. Find it funny that a team that gets consistent amazing goaltending in the post season is on the receiving end of some steals.

Vegas is the better team but it's a small margin this year. The whole Pacific was garbage this year.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Vegas is not a powerhouse. Imo never have been. Most of their success comes from goaltending as well. Find it funny that a team that gets consistent amazing goaltending in the post season is on the receiving end of some steals.

Vegas is the better team but it's a small margin this year. The whole Pacific was garbage this year.
Honestly I agree with you. People probably call bull crap on me, but Vegas started the year slow and got hot near the end. Even the Blackhawks showed that Vegas had some weaknesses. Now with saying that, I didn’t think the Canucks had a chance to be honest. It’s a pretty cool underdog story though.

I have never liked Vancouver, but this year...... there’s just something in me that makes it hard to root against them. I’ll be damned if I know what it is though.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

meh. Vegas may be dickish but the Nucks fanbase is deplorable. How soon we forget that.

I mean if the Nucks and AV's combined make up the WC final and both those fanbases, and one of those clubs guaranteed to make it to the final. We'll never hear the end of it.

The benefit of Vegas winning it all is we'll never hear much of anything about it.

Reactions: Mez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
One club absolutely dominates another club all over the ice in 2 consecutive games. Outshoots the opponent collectively 91-40 in these two games and loses both, getting outscored 6-1.

So one club scores on 6/40shots while the other scores on 1/91.

I mean I can handle a little bit of luck, disparity, and strange things happening but you couldn't find more tilted matches than this in a parity league and yet..

Further Nucks have got 90stops in these two games and Vegas only 34, while letting in 6. Looks even worse disparity when you look at saves.

I've turned this off so many times. Only channel surfing to see how ridiculous the luck factor became.

Reactions: Mav3rick07 and Mez

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I don’t feel like I can complain because of the 2006 run.. we had zero business beating the Wings in the 1st.. but Roloson was so f***ing good

Reactions: Peanut Butter

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t feel like I can complain because of the 2006 run.. we had zero business beating the Wings in the 1st.. but Roloson was so f***ing good

Disagree. We had solid D, we had solid D players, we have an excellent counter club with players suited to that roll. We had the best Defenceman in the league. We had depth scoring.

The games were not onesided as that.

I don't recall any stretch where Detroit got one goal out of 91 sog.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Disagree. We had solid D, we had solid D players, we have an excellent counter club with players suited to that roll. We had the best Defenceman in the league. We had depth scoring.

The games were not onesided as that.

I don't recall any stretch where Detroit got one goal out of 91 sog.
It was a few years ago so I guess I’m fuzzy.
was it the SJ series where Roloson stood on his head? I remember the Wings series being very close.

Pronger was incredible. I actually wasn’t an Oiler fan (just neutral) until we traded for him (my fav player!). One year of him only :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad