Around the League - 2019/20 Season Edition #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Well, Islanders, Jackets, Canes all got points tonight.

Need a Minnesota win over Florida in regulation tomorrow.

Also would be hilarious if Columbus finishes in the playoffs ahead of the Rangers or Florida. A defense with Werenski and Jones can do anything I guess.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Also would be hilarious if Columbus finishes in the playoffs ahead of the Rangers or Florida. A defense with Werenski and Jones can do anything I guess.
Columbus lowest GA in the Atlantic at 127 vs Leafs at 165. It’s easier and more cap feasible to win 2-1 than 8-6.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga

The tranquil Tortorella is actually an awesome coach.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Columbus lowest GA in the Atlantic at 127 vs Leafs at 165. It’s easier and more cap feasible to win 2-1 than 8-6.

More cap feasible? not really, we all play under the same cap. Easier, maybe, but you also need a lot of luck and the right coach/players for that to happen.

You can win with skilled teams that suck on defense too though. The Pens won 3 cups with a top heavy lineup and really weak back ends. We don't have a Crosby but we have 4 guys that can help carry us if they get hot in the playoffs.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
More cap feasible? not really, we all play under the same cap. Easier, maybe, but you also need a lot of luck and the right coach/players for that to happen.

You can win with skilled teams that suck on defense too though. The Pens won 3 cups with a top heavy lineup and really weak back ends. We don't have a Crosby but we have 4 guys that can help carry us if they get hot in the playoffs.
I disagree. First of all Crosby/Malkin/Kessel have proven much more playoff elite to start. But even that wasn't all.
Everyone says Pittsburgh won with that defense but forget to mention they had 2 .930 goalies or they don't win with that defense.

And yes it is much cheaper to build a team that wins 2-1. A solid defensive team that can then add a Matthews/Nylander whatever.
Rather than needing more 7 million dollar forwards to win 8-6 or no money for goalie/D. Because we will see if we can outscore our playoff problems.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I disagree. First of all Crosby/Malkin/Kessel have proven much more playoff elite to start. But even that wasn't all.
Everyone says Pittsburgh won with that defense but forget to mention they had 2 .930 goalies or they don't win with that defense.

And yes it is much cheaper to build a team that wins 2-1. A solid defensive team that can then add a Matthews/Nylander whatever.
Rather than needing more 7 million dollar forwards to win 8-6 or no money for goalie/D. Because we will see if we can outscore our playoff problems.
Columbus doesn't have any more cap space than we do and I like our depth better than theirs. Not sure how exactly it's cheaper to pay their crappier players more money than we do. Giving a bumb $4M of Matthews money wouldn't make us better.

and on the Pittsburgh point, that's exactly what I'n saying. Our defense is better than at least one of those Pittsburgh teams. So if we can score and Freddy plays well we have as good a chance as anybody.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Columbus doesn't have any more cap space than we do and I like our depth better than theirs. Not sure how exactly it's cheaper to pay their crappier players more money than we do. Giving a bumb $4M of Matthews money wouldn't make us better.

and on the Pittsburgh point, that's exactly what I'n saying. Our defense is better than at least one of those Pittsburgh teams. So if we can score and Freddy plays well we have as good a chance as anybody.
What Pittsburgh has that we don’t is they know how to win. They know how to win hurt, they know how to change their game vs. opponents, they know how to fight through adversity and know how to get it together if they don’t start on time.

So far we get quotes about urgency, immature, starting on time, look in the mirror, etc. Learn that or it won’t matter. That’s an individual and team talent that doesn’t show up on advanced stats.

Reactions: ToneDog

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It may be cheaper, but its also a lot harder to do things that way. Talent like Matthews is pretty much impossible to get in thr NHL, onky abfee teams at the right place and time can ever get players like that.

Imo theres never a clear path to building a team the "right way", youve just got to make do and you go along with the assets you have availible.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Pittsburgh in 2016 was one of the best teams defensively in the league after Sullivan took over. They had guys like Bonino, Cullen, Hagelin, Rust, Kuhnhackl, Cole, Lovejoy, Dumoulin. That team lead the league in blocked shots too if I remember correctly, certainly did in the playoffs. They were an extremely fast team, but they used that speed to pressure defensively too. In 2017 they were more of a traditional counter-attack team without Letang but were still very structured in their approach. The Leafs now are closer to the early Boudreau Caps in how they play than the Sullivan Penguins.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Kadri leads Avalanche to another victory. Up to 19 goals already looks like the move was great for him to get out of T.O he's a much more complete player now.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Philadelphia, Carolina both leading in tonight's action. Leaving the Leafs in the dust.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Good goaltending too. They've really ascended in the standings.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Florida up 3 - 0, Leafs are Toast if they don't get it together soon.

They have 3 more games against Florida...they need to win all 3 games, period. Can't be fooling around sun-tanning, golfing, and getting blown out again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad