Around the League - 2019/20 Season Edition #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
How about this for an awful bye week?

Columbus, Carolina, Philly, NYI and Florida racked up 23 of a possible 24 points in their games they played. the only point missing was when carolina beat the islanders in the shootout.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
How about this for an awful bye week?

Columbus, Carolina, Philly, NYI and Florida racked up 23 of a possible 24 points in their games they played. the only point missing was when carolina beat the islanders in the shootout.
At this point, all you can do is laugh at this misfortune.

giphy.gif

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

A better goalie would help but San Jose's core is aging and locked up into their mid to late thirties, some are on the downslope already of their careers. They're not going to get much better and they don't really have much in terms of prospects. They also don't have a first this year which could be a lotto pick.

Basically they have little avenues to get better right now except for digging themselves into more cap issues with UFA signings. Their rentals won't garner much return and their core players have such long term on their deals that they don't hold a ton of value IMO.

IMO they could use a rebuild entirely.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A better goalie would help but San Jose's core is aging and locked up into their mid to late thirties, some are on the downslope already of their careers. They're not going to get much better and they don't really have much in terms of prospects. They also don't have a first this year which could be a lotto pick.

Basically they have little avenues to get better right now except for digging themselves into more cap issues with UFA signings. Their rentals won't garner much return and their core players have such long term on their deals that they don't hold a ton of value IMO.

IMO they could use a rebuild entirely.

This would also be prime time to slip them another RHD offensive defenseman like Tyson Barrie for, oh, I don't know, maybe an unprotected future first round pick? You know you want to Doug Wilson!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This would also be prime time to slip them another RHD offensive defenseman like Tyson Barrie for, oh, I don't know, maybe an unprotected future first round pick? You know you want to Doug Wilson!
Even if the Leafs wanted to make a trade like that and they the Sharks 1st round pick in 2021, knowing their luck San Jose would be making the playoffs and it does not become a lottery pick.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
TSN’s Sawyer apologizes for on-air comments

“I have spent considerable time reflecting on my comments over the past couple of weeks,” Sawyer began at the start of the broadcast of the Jets at Carolina. “And I was insensitive in sharing a story that was inaccurate and should never have been told on television in the first place.”

During a game against Minnesota, Jan. 4, Sawyer reminisced about being an assistant coach on a junior team on which Wild defenceman Jared Spurgeon was a rookie during the 2005-06 season.

“Favourite story of Jared Spurgeon,” Sawyer began. “He was a 15-year-old. Two months into the season we saran-wrapped him to a pillar in the arena, about six feet up in the air… he was tiny. He looked like he was 12.”

Sawyer’s comments appeared to make light of a hazing incident while he was an assistant coach with the Western Hockey League’s Spokane Chiefs, and drew immediate negative reaction on social media.

Former players like Scott Campbell, a former Jets defenceman, and Daniel Carcillo, an outspoken advocate for mental health initiatives and concussion awareness, called out Sawyer and condemned the comments, via Twitter.

Sawyer on Tuesday called the incident a birthday celebration for Spurgeon, who “appeared happy in that moment.”

“At that time, I did not view it as negative, harmful or demeaning in any way,” Sawyer continued. “Rather a celebration of an extremely popular and well-liked teammate. Now I understand that times have changed a lot over the past 15 years, and for the better. This is certainly something that I would never allow if I was coaching in the game today.”

Sawyer went on to say he is the father of two teenage children and understands completely “how important it is for our kids to feel safe when they are in the care of others.”

“My comments were unprofessional, insensitive and may have sent the wrong message,” he concluded. “And for that I want to sincerely apologize to you, our viewers. I am truly sorry.”

Sawyer’s story about Spurgeon looked even worse considering the head coach of Spokane at the time was Bill Peters, who last month resigned as head coach of the NHL’s Calgary Flames for racist and abusive behaviour in previous coaching stops.

Sawyer and TSN refused repeated Winnipeg Sun requests for comment over the last two weeks.

Reactions: ACC1224

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Isnt there something for the all star game happening today? Thought there might be a thread or something talking about it. Unless I got the dates wrong it's pretty sad for the NHL that the hardcore fans on these boards don't give a crap about the allstar game.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Isnt there something for the all star game happening today? Thought there might be a thread or something talking about it. Unless I got the dates wrong it's pretty sad for the NHL that the hardcore fans on these boards don't give a crap about the allstar game.

Just tuned in and saw Canada vs USA 3 on 3 coming up. No idea what this is about though lol

Edit: Oh it's women's 3v3

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Just tuned in and saw Canada vs USA 3 on 3 coming up. No idea what this is about though lol

Edit: Oh it's women's 3v3

If I can find a stream I might check that out. Curious how skilled the best womens players are now a days. I'm expecting women's hockey has lost popularity back in 2010 I knew a few names on the Canadian Olympic team(obviously wickenheiser) and knew a few American player (Amanda kessel for one).

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Pacific division is pretty interesting. Vancouver has 58 points, while Edmonton, Calgary, Arizona & VGK all have 57 points. Going to be a real dog fight in that Division.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
OH crap, the bolts were down 2-1 with 2 minutes to go, they pull their goalie and Bishop tries to score with a bad shot, the bolts kept it in and scored. Well at least Benn scores a beaut in OT giving the bolts only 1 point.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Marleau is now:

Top 50 all-time in Points
Top 25 all-time in Goals
T-6th all-time in GWG (with Ovechkin and Shannahan)
Top 20 all-time in Shots

If he stays healthy and with the Sharks for the rest of the season, he'll solify 3rd spot all-time for Games Played.

#FutureHHOFer

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Marleau is now:

Top 25 all-time in Goals
Top 20 all-time in Shots

If he stays healthy and with the Sharks for the rest of the season, he'll solify 3rd spot all-time for Games Played.

#FutureHHOFer

I wanted him over a decade ago, he was understated physically. Not going after people, just being physically able to put up with the rough stuff and keep truck'n.

Didn't want him post 35 with an albatross contract.

Reactions: Menzinger

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Marleau is now:

Top 25 all-time in Goals
Top 20 all-time in Shots

#FutureHHOFer
And the Leafs gave up a first round pick so that he could play somewhere else for one season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad