Around the League - 2019/20 Season Edition #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Leafs fans on the mainboard and trade forum should just stop arguing that AM is better than Drai at this point, that is a losing battle they are fighting.

It would help if McDavid played with Matthews, but yeah, Draisaitl is an amazing talent.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
McDavid-Draisaitl is Crosby-Malkin on amphetamines. It's fun to laugh at them, and their pathetic draft record should never be forgotten, but I can't see the Oilers missing the playoffs too many times going forward.
Well, much to the chagrin of some people I suppose, at the 80% mark, Oilers are in 2nd place in the Pacific division. Since the 2004 CBA, they have won 4 playoff rounds. They have also been in the playoffs only twice since the CBA.

Their cap situation will still be tight next year, but things open up a bit the following year.

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
3-0 montreal against the isles pretty sure uncle Leo was on for all 3 ga :)

That's what happens when talentless teams play playoff style hockey for over a year. They are burned out and back to being the steaming pile of shit they were when JT left.

Reactions: rubous

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
That's what happens when talentless teams play playoff style hockey for over a year. They are burned out and back to being the steaming pile of shit they were when JT left.

That's a little harsh.

Their goaltending is falling back to earth Space Shuttle Columbia style. PDO gon' get ya.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Isles are still in a playoff spot.

That being said the money they've tied up into mediocre players is going to catch up to them, not to mention the aging ones. Not enough high end talent to put them over the top.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
scary to think if isles completely fall out they only protected the pick to be top 3.

sens could possibly get 3 of the top 5 picks in this draft thats some ea nhl gm mode lol.
I don’t mind the Sens being good, they actually makes the Leafs better.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Goaltending, and their top 4 D have been relatively healthy all year. I think Krug missed 8 games but the other 3 have been healthy.

I don't know how people are saying Boston has had injury woes this season. Bergeron, Krug, Krejci, McAvoy and DeBrusk have missed like 35 man games between them this season and the rest of their good players have been healthy. We already exceed that just from Hyman, Marner and Tavares' missed games, and that does not include the like 125 (and counting) man games lost by Mikheyev, Dermott, Johnsson, Rielly, Ceci and Muzzin. That's 3/4 of our top 4 defensemen and two of our top 9 forwards, and only one of those guys is currently healthy right now.

Toronto, Pittsburgh and Columbus have been really shafted by injuries this year (especially PIT considering who it happened to), but have still managed to be as competitive as a lot of other teams in the East who have had virtually no injuries all year... And Toronto has had substandard goaltending from Andersen and Hutch for most of the year, while Columbus is icing two very unproven goalies who are both doing quite well.

Reactions: OddyOh and Merrrlin

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
WHOA, cap could be as high as 88 million next year, according to meetings talk. 84-88.2 million floated. That couldn't be better news for the Leafs, even if it's the low end. 2.5 to 6.7 million increase.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
WHOA, cap could be as high as 88 million next year, according to meetings talk. 84-88.2 million floated. That couldn't be better news for the Leafs, even if it's the low end. 2.5 to 6.7 million increase.

This keeps being said. Sure, it's good for the Leafs. But the extra cap space is also good for the other teams pressed against the cap who may have had difficulty re-signing their free agents (ie. St. Louis and Pietrangelo).

Reactions: aingefan

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This keeps being said. Sure, it's good for the Leafs. But the extra cap space is also good for the other teams pressed against the cap who may have had difficulty re-signing their free agents (ie. St. Louis and Pietrangelo).
Absolutely, but it's still good news for us.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Its also great for teams like Edmonton and Vancouver to dramatically overpay mediocre talent.

Barrie to either of those teams for 8mx7 years incoming.

Reactions: Merrrlin and klmdg

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Absolutely, but it's still good news for us.
Might make it easier with existing players, I’d agree.
Might be bad news, too.
More dollars for a modest UFA class can drive up prices, too.
Might mean enough wiggle room that teams are more able to keep their RFA’s (Troy Stecher, I’m looking at you).

Reactions: DarkKnight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad