Around the League - 2019/20 Season Edition #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
I thought Ennis had earned a 1.5/2 contract last year with us. Quality acquisition by the Oilers. Curious to see how long he sticks with McDavid, he wasn't good with Auston.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Zibanejad has taken off in his development .. Turned into a top line centre.

Love that the Sens gave him away with a 2nd round pick

For Brassard wasn't it? I'd guess Melnyk figured he'd save some money ultimately, his usual motivation.

Glad we are rich, but beating on the Senators is tiresome.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Man the Red Wings are the worst team I have seen in a long time. I really doubt they get out of the bottom in the next 5 years.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
How long before Chayka gets fired from Arizona and gets hired here?

I like Chyka, but I am surprised he is still there. He started off well, but I didn't like his last year or so. The Hall trade was brave but he should have known his team wasn't ready for that kind of move.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Man the Red Wings are the worst team I have seen in a long time. I really doubt they get out of the bottom in the next 5 years.

They are really bad, but I honestly think you put a good goalie in there, and you let some of their young guys grow a bit, and they could be out of the bottom 5 within 2-3 years. I like how they have drafted outside of Zadina, a pick I hated.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I like Chyka, but I am surprised he is still there. He started off well, but I didn't like his last year or so. The Hall trade was brave but he should have known his team wasn't ready for that kind of move.
Or, he should ask around before he made that trade. Then again, he believes games are playing on the spreadsheet, not on the ice :popcorn:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Man what happened to Pittsburgh? We beat them and now they can't win a game.

Seems to be the way this season is going for everybody, when your winning you win a ton and when your losing you can't buy a win

I guess when there is this much parity around the league when you get a hot or cold patch it gets magnified to an extreme degree in your results

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Seems to be the way this season is going for everybody, when your winning you win a ton and when your losing you can't buy a win

I guess when there is this much parity around the league when you get a hot or cold patch it gets magnified to an extreme degree in your results

In a way, it is a good thing. What’s separates teams on a nightly basis is goaltending, if your goalie is playing well, all you need is one or two bounces for your top players and you win the game.
Something interesting that I found, there are 31 teams in the league, say 100pts is the bench mark for making the playoffs. You really need to win all the games against the bottom 10 teams(assuming 5 teams from the other conf., 2 two teams for own divisions and 3 teams from other divisions) thats 27 games and 54points. and then be a .500 against the rest of the league, 55 games and 27wins and 54 pts and you will get 108pts.
Yet not a lot of teams will end up with 108pts, which shows even the bottom ten teams can beat the top teams, esp since this is a league where there will always be a team getting 2 pts in every game.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Crazy how many 1st round picks were dealt this year, some of them potentially very high

SJS --> Ottawa ~ top 5
Arizona --> NJ ~ top 10
Pittsburgh --> Minnesota
Boston --> Anaheim
Toronto --> Carolina *--> NYR
*Carolina --> NYR
Tampa --> SJS
NYI --> Ottawa

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Published this morning. Bergevin wanted Rielly in 2012:

... Morgan Rielly en 2012
« Oui, je l’aimais beaucoup. Mais je venais d’être embauché le 2 mai, et mon nouveau staff aimait beaucoup Alex Galchenyuk. J’étais avec Chicago cette saison-là, et on repêchait plus tard. On ne perdait pas notre temps avec Galchenyuk, qui allait probablement être choisi parmi les premiers ; en plus, il n’avait presque pas joué cet hiver-là. Je regardais notre situation au centre, on avait [David] Desharnais, [Tomas] Plekanec, et Chucky était considéré comme un centre. Tu entres en poste, tu n’as pas vu jouer Galchenyuk et tu vas les forcer à prendre un autre joueur ? Ça commence bien une relation. J’ai laissé choisir. En plus, j’étais d’accord, je savais qu’on avait besoin de joueurs de centre. Mais j’aimais beaucoup Morgan Rielly. »

Translates to:

"Yes, I liked him very much. But I had just been hired on May 2, and my new staff liked Alex Galchenyuk very much. I was with Chicago that season, and we were drafting later. We weren't wasting our time with Galchenyuk, who was probably going to be chosen near the top; in addition, he had hardly played that winter. I looked at our situation at center, we had [David] Desharnais, [Tomas] Plekanec, and Chucky was considered a center. You're taking office, you haven't seen Galchenyuk play and you're going to force them to take another player? That starts a relationship well. I left them to choose. In addition, I agreed, I knew we needed centers. But I really liked Morgan Rielly. "

Easy for him to say now. Seems like he never owns any of the blame. If they had any other owner, he would have been gone two years ago.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Honestly I think he needs to move on from Rick Tocchet. His system stifles any offense what so ever and on paper they have enough offense up front to be lethal.

He's a good coach but that team should be a lot better with the pieces they have.
On the otherhand, Tocchet is one of the reasons the team has stayed competitive. It's not his fault Kessel and Hall have declined.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Crazy how many 1st round picks were dealt this year, some of them potentially very high

SJS --> Ottawa ~ top 5
Arizona --> NJ ~ top 10
Pittsburgh --> Minnesota
Boston --> Anaheim
Toronto --> Carolina *--> NYR
*Carolina --> NYR
Tampa --> SJS
NYI --> Ottawa

A few teams will like Ottawa & New Jersey will be walking be walking up to podium a lot this draft and have a lot of top 60 (overall) picks. Ottawa has three 1st round picks and four 2nds as an example.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
A few teams will like Ottawa & New Jersey will be walking be walking up to podium a lot this draft and have a lot of top 60 (overall) picks. Ottawa has three 1st round picks and four 2nds as an example.
One of those 1st and maybe 2nds will become Leafs pick while AJ joins Brown and Smith in Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad