Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Reactions: 10Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Looking at drafts 2011-2015 (Jets 1st five drafts), the Jets performed at around 20% above expected (using the same methods), which would have ranked at around #5 overall in the previous decade. So, the franchise went from #29 to #5 after Chevy and team took over.

What's holding the Jets rating back even to that level is a lack of success after the 1st round. We finally have our first 2nd rd pick make the NHL in Harkins. Samberg will be 2. If we can add Gawanke, Gustafsson and Chisholm our success rate in the later rds will be looking pretty good. And there are a few others who have a chance too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What's holding the Jets rating back even to that level is a lack of success after the 1st round. We finally have our first 2nd rd pick make the NHL in Harkins. Samberg will be 2. If we can add Gawanke, Gustafsson and Chisholm our success rate in the later rds will be looking pretty good. And there are a few others who have a chance too.
Lowry
Hellebuyck
Copp
Poolman
Appleton
Harkins
Samberg
Gustafsson
Niku

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lowry
Hellebuyck
Copp
Poolman
Appleton
Harkins
Samberg
Gustafsson
Niku

Yeah. It is coming. But we had 0 2nd rd NHL'ers until Harkins. Until recently we had only Lowry, Helle and Copp after the 1st. You've listed Samberg, Gus and Niku who haven't made it yet.

But I think that when we look back at the Jets 1st 10 drafts in 3-4 years time we will see a very good record that includes late picks as well as early and mid picks.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Yeah. It is coming. But we had 0 2nd rd NHL'ers until Harkins. Until recently we had only Lowry, Helle and Copp after the 1st. You've listed Samberg, Gus and Niku who haven't made it yet.

But I think that when we look back at the Jets 1st 10 drafts in 3-4 years time we will see a very good record that includes late picks as well as early and mid picks.

It's considered a good draft if you get 2 NHL players out of it right? Maybe I'm misremembering that stat. Either way that's 9 late round players that look like they'll be NHLers, which is pretty good I think. I think you're right that there might be more that turn out too that we aren't even thinking about yet.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's considered a good draft if you get 2 NHL players out of it right? Maybe I'm misremembering that stat. Either way that's 9 late round players that look like they'll be NHLers, which is pretty good I think. I think you're right that there might be more that turn out too that we aren't even thinking about yet.

Yup. We won't get all of the ones who are showing promise right now. But Berdin, Kovacevic, Holm, Moe, Smith, Valatti, Lundmark and Nikkanen are all progressing. We might get 2-3 players out of that list, if we are lucky.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This is sad. Wiebe is one of the best sports journalists in the Winnipeg market. Hope he's back with a good gig soon.

Reactions: jetsforever

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Atlanta was the second worst. Chevy and his scouts have done a remarkable job turning the Thrashers pathetic drafting history around. As others have mentioned if you look at the drafting history since the team came to Winnipeg we are among the best.
Yup, they traded away a LOT of high draft picks and didn't do well with what wasn't traded. Even the picks they made that were good picks, some were rushed because of such a poor on-ice product.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I'm sure that is why they would do it. Acquire a team's LTIR contract in exchange for draft pick(s)
Just seems a bit shady or?? Different strokes for different folks, I gather?
Hopefully burns such a big hole for themselves they lose Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Reilly, Sandin, Andersen...and get swallowed in it. Yucka, yucka.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Niku, the next coming of Tobias And from, just with a little more 'finnish'.
Oh yes, you all have given up on him...

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

That's pretty solid 3rd/4th liners and 3rd/4th pairing d!
All drafted and developed.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is sad. Wiebe is one of the best sports journalists in the Winnipeg market. Hope he's back with a good gig soon.

Not a Wiebe fan but I take no joy in his misfortune. Another Covid victim, I assume.

Should be room for him somewhere when sports get going again. Can't be a lot of demand for sports journalists when there are virtually no sports.

Reactions: GNP and Eyeseeing

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Can you manage a team worse then the Sabres are managed?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Can you manage a team worse then the Sabres are managed?

Its tough to get much worse than Kim and Terry who seem a bit over their heads with sport enterprise. I do like the leadership they finally landed on with the Bills but it’s taken a long time and it feels like they might have backed into it.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Its tough to get much worse than Kim and Terry who seem a bit over their heads with sport enterprise. I do like the leadership they finally landed on with the Bills but it’s taken a long time and it feels like they might have backed into it.

Yup. They seem like they are also going to purge elements of their scouting and development staff.

Apparently calling all the people who were to be fired was one of the first things on the new GMs list if things to do.

Say what you will about Botteril and the job he did but I respect him for going to batt for his staff at the end.

Reactions: ps241 and 10Ducky10

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yup. They seem like they are also going to purge elements of their scouting and development staff.

Apparently calling all the people who were to be fired was one of the first things on the new GMs list if things to do.

Say what you will about Botteril and the job he did but I respect him for going to batt for his staff at the end.

The crazy part this was a scouting staff assembled by Botteril and only two of the scouts on this staff have been in their positions for longer than two years. How can you assemble a draft or how can you move your org forward if you totally gut you scouting staff to save cash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad