Around the League 2019-20 Pt3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Bad week exposes a crack in the NHL’s wholesome image

Saw this from Brett Hull...

Hull did a radio hit on Friday. During it, he was tossed a softball about whether he thinks the game is still “fun.” Hull used the Leipsic incident to focus on his answer.

“We did the same things. We said the same things. But there was no way to get caught,” Hull said, while the hosts presumably sat frozen in horror. “That’s why there’s no fun any more.”

So this is him telling you that Leipsic is not an outlier. He’s not even wrong. He may, in fact, be right. He’s just the dummy who got caught.

Now we have two versions of the NHL’s take on this episode – the one written by a committee of New York-based marketing hacks; and the one provided by a 55-year-old who has spent his entire life enmeshed in the game’s codes and rituals. Which sounds more true to you?

I agree with what the writer says. The NHL has an outside voice ( the one we see in the media, the one where the league tries to tell everyone the game is for all, and the political correct voice ) and the NHL has an inside voice ( the one that is on every plane ride, every bus ride, and in every dressing room ) .

What goes on in the room will never change... the players just might get caught less.

As I said previously, the nut doesn't fall far from the tree. Kinda makes me wonder about Mike Keene. I mean, the guy is (well, was) a ginger. No good ever came from being a ginger. :sarcasm:

Reactions: cbcwpg

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The AHL has cancelled the season and playoffs.

Financially they had no choice as they really get no revenue without fans.

As for the NHL, Daly said they are full steam ahead. And for the NHL that makes sense since they can still generate revenue without people in buildings.

I think the biggest issue for the NHL will be players that potentially get called up to the NHL. There are questions in that. Will NHL teams be able to call up some players when the NHL teams start training again, so that some AHL players have actually been on the ice? Will NHL teams be allowed an AHL call up roster that can actually work out? Or will AHL call ups all be coming in cold when they are needed? Will the NHL expand the number of AHL players you are allowed to call up? Those are just some... there are lots.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Bad week exposes a crack in the NHL’s wholesome image

Saw this from Brett Hull...

Hull did a radio hit on Friday. During it, he was tossed a softball about whether he thinks the game is still “fun.” Hull used the Leipsic incident to focus on his answer.

“We did the same things. We said the same things. But there was no way to get caught,” Hull said, while the hosts presumably sat frozen in horror. “That’s why there’s no fun any more.”

So this is him telling you that Leipsic is not an outlier. He’s not even wrong. He may, in fact, be right. He’s just the dummy who got caught.

Now we have two versions of the NHL’s take on this episode – the one written by a committee of New York-based marketing hacks; and the one provided by a 55-year-old who has spent his entire life enmeshed in the game’s codes and rituals. Which sounds more true to you?

I agree with what the writer says. The NHL has an outside voice ( the one we see in the media, the one where the league tries to tell everyone the game is for all, and the political correct voice ) and the NHL has an inside voice ( the one that is on every plane ride, every bus ride, and in every dressing room ) .

What goes on in the room will never change... the players just might get caught less.

I really hope he read the actual comments before he said that...

It's always kinda weird being a female NHL fan when stuff like this comes out. I have no doubt that behind closed doors the guys make all kinds of comments and innuendos about women and eh, for the most part I don't care. But it feels like what Leipsic & co said was on another level and really rubbed me the wrong way. Talk to your mates about your hook-ups all you like, but relishing in your desire to degrade someone? Pretty sick if you ask me. I'd like to think that the majority of players, while definitely part of the aforementioned 'inside voice', don't go as far as Leipsic did. And if they need to talk like that to have fun playing hockey according to Hull, well that's just sad, and also terribly boring.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

Decent list, but I don't think it is in order from 1 - 10 as they are not numbered...although Dionne certainly deserves to be number 1. If their listings were the intended order, it would be a travesty to have Perreault at #10 as he should easily be near the top and not behind the likes of Turgeon and a compiler like Gartner.

There is a big oversight in omitting Brad Park who would compete with Dionne as the greatest player to never win a Cup.

Reactions: buggs

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Surprised that this didn’t get discussed or mocked ......

May 13, 2013

game 7

Laffs vs Bruins

it was 4-1 ......... :laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Last off-season Leafs acquired some dead contracts that they LTIR'ed. I understand the advantage of having some team pay you to take a bad contract off their hands - if you can afford the actual salary cost. But they seemed to be looking for bad contracts because they wanted to LTIR more, never mind the incentive payment or the actual cash involved.

Now we have Seravalli with this speculation: Expect the Toronto Maple Leafs to hunt for more LTIR contracts - TSN.ca I didn't understand the logic then and I still don't.

There is nothing to be gained by having a bunch of LTIR used. It isn't like you get a bonus of cap space relief for LTIR. It is still cap space used. If it exceeds the cap limit you are not penalized, but where is the reward in that? What am I missing?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Last off-season Leafs acquired some dead contracts that they LTIR'ed. I understand the advantage of having some team pay you to take a bad contract off their hands - if you can afford the actual salary cost. But they seemed to be looking for bad contracts because they wanted to LTIR more, never mind the incentive payment or the actual cash involved.

Now we have Seravalli with this speculation: Expect the Toronto Maple Leafs to hunt for more LTIR contracts - TSN.ca I didn't understand the logic then and I still don't.

There is nothing to be gained by having a bunch of LTIR used. It isn't like you get a bonus of cap space relief for LTIR. It is still cap space used. If it exceeds the cap limit you are not penalized, but where is the reward in that? What am I missing?
I don't think you're missing anything. I think Seravalli doesn't understand the impact of LTIR on the cap. Taking on substantial LTIR is of no benefit, and can be a substantial problem for a team operating at the upper limit of the salary cap.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think you're missing anything. I think Seravalli doesn't understand the impact of LTIR on the cap. Taking on substantial LTIR is of no benefit, and can be a substantial problem for a team operating at the upper limit of the salary cap.

That's how I understand it - but we keep hearing of TML taking on even more LTIR contracts. Maybe it was only Seravalli talking that way last off-season too. I can't remember.

There is a disadvantage in hitting and then exceeding the cap with LTIR in that LTIR relief can't be used to cover bonus payments. So even ignoring the actual $ costs, there is a net loss even if it is small. The only value in acquiring these contracts is in the incentive you are given in exchange.

TML's problem is in keeping the cap hits of their actual playing roster under the cap.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
That's how I understand it - but we keep hearing of TML taking on even more LTIR contracts. Maybe it was only Seravalli talking that way last off-season too. I can't remember.

There is a disadvantage in hitting and then exceeding the cap with LTIR in that LTIR relief can't be used to cover bonus payments. So even ignoring the actual $ costs, there is a net loss even if it is small. The only value in acquiring these contracts is in the incentive you are given in exchange.

TML's problem is in keeping the cap hits of their actual playing roster under the cap.

I'm sure that is why they would do it. Acquire a team's LTIR contract in exchange for draft pick(s)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm sure that is why they would do it. Acquire a team's LTIR contract in exchange for draft pick(s)

Yes, but Seravalli seems to be saying that having guys on LTIR actually gives a team more cap space - or flexibility. LTIR doesn't do that. It just helps to mitigate the impact of having players Injured Long Term.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Maybe even this year because my long term girlfriend and me recently broke up so I'm probably having a lot of free days to spend after Corona and everything.

Sorry to hear about your break up.

Reactions: GJF

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Maybe even this year because my long term girlfriend and me recently broke up so I'm probably having a lot of free days to spend after Corona and everything.
Sorry to hear man, this is definitely a crappy time to be breaking up with someone. I hope you get to Winnipeg eventually!

On the plus side I read that Cara Delevigne is free now too.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Sorry to hear man, this is definitely a crappy time to be breaking up with someone. I hope you get to Winnipeg eventually!

On the plus side I read that Cara Delevigne is free now too.

Is she still going with that short cut hair? I can't accept that on my women unfortunately :(

It has been a long distance relationship since September now, as she went to Liverpool for 9 months. I'm turning 31 in a week and she's still only 23. I guess it's understandable and she just needs to go live her life now.

*edit*

I just realized: this isn't actually the OT thread :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Anyone see Friedman’s beard, heres a photo of him now

upload_2020-5-23_23-46-57.jpeg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Is she still going with that short cut hair? I can't accept that on my women unfortunately :(

It has been a long distance relationship since September now, as she went to Liverpool for 9 months. I'm turning 31 in a week and she's still only 23. I guess it's understandable and she just needs to go live her life now.

*edit*

I just realized: this isn't actually the OT thread :laugh:

when I was 30 I too was in a relationship with someone 23. We had a good run but it came to an end at a similar time ((age wise). We both needed to pursue our paths and they were both leading us out of the small town we lived in but in separate directions. We had our good times and bad times but I look back on it as a time in life that wasn’t boring. She was hugely into travel and ignited that in me and I will be forever grateful for that aspect. We had a pretty turbulent run and I learned a few lessons the hard way but I am glad I went through it because the good outweighed the bad.

Most of my life I dated similar age or within 5 years but years later I met my wife and we have a 20 year age difference. Turns out we were fully aligned on the “stage” of life which was starting a family and stage alignment turned out to be more important than age alignment for both of us.

The stage right after a relationship ends can either be glorious if you needed out or it can be dark if you were happy but the other person needed out. Hang in there and keep taking your shots.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Do we really know why Winnipeg isn't a hub city?

- We just aren't worthy. ;)

- Some logistical things like the practice facility is too far from the arena and hotels. The hotels aren't directly linked to the arena. We don't have enough 5-star hotel rooms and the players won't accept anything less than 5-star. Just a few I've heard.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
- We just aren't worthy. ;)

- Some logistical things like the practice facility is too far from the arena and hotels. The hotels aren't directly linked to the arena. We don't have enough 5-star hotel rooms and the players won't accept anything less than 5-star. Just a few I've heard.
You're probably right............but seriously? Do they want to do this (safely) or not.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad