Around the League 2019-20 - part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
We aren’t trading Bratt for a 1st and very good 2018 2nd round forward prospect and we don’t have another comparable winger so Fitz didn’t miss out on anything. There plenty to complain about you don’t need to imagine thing to be frustrated about.

Toronto needed to trade someone and Andreas Johnsson had knee surgery so it petty much had to be KK but they weren’t going to give him away. It went particularly well for Toronto because the trade likely happens exactly the same way if the pick was 24th instead of 15th but what do is you think they we going to get for him? A bag of dirt and a punch in the balls? How many 24 yo wingers under contract with similar production are available for futures? It’s good fit both ways.

It can’t feel good for Pens fans. The trade needs to pan out in terms of production and the bigger question is why the Pens immediately spent the 1st and a prospect on a winger rather than on fixing the defense. The 1st wouldn’t get rid of Jack Johnson’s contract though, that’s going to take a buyout or holding other GMs’ grandkids hostage.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
what do we get if hall re-signs? a 3rd or something?
2nd in 2021 draft.

I think the pick gets traded for more immediate help because Dubas doesn’t want to get fired and that’s how Toronto works.
We have nothing Dubas would want besides Severson. Not like Pens who could trade for Palms or Goose. And i dont think Fitz an nobrainer gm to trade Sevs.

Reactions: MartyOwns

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
and what are we offering them for that pick, exactly? We don't have any under 25 wingers locked up semi-cheap that would have been worth it...unless you are talking about Bratt in which case yeah no thanks
Zacha, obviously.

:laugh:

Brutal trade for Pit, but it helps continue to lay the foundation for another tank in 5 years.

Reactions: Guttersniped

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Yep. Let’s just hope this is an outlier and Pitt desperate to keep their window open as long as possible.

But if this is what market value will be...think of the price a youngish top 4 Dman. Yikes.

You're exactly right. The Penguins are desperate to win in the next two years -- which is not impossible. But I would not consider this a market indicator.

For Dubas in Toronto, it's potentially a job-saver. Out of a litany of his questionable moves, giving up a first-round pick to dump Marleau's salary was near the top, especially considering the questionable deals he gave out.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think the pick gets traded for more immediate help because Dubas doesn’t want to get fired and that’s how Toronto works.

I would agree with you, but Toronto cannot afford much help under their tight cap. I think it's a response for Dubas getting grilled in the media for giving away their own first-rounder in a temper-tantrum move to basically give Lamoriello the middle finger.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
You're exactly right. The Penguins are desperate to win in the next two years -- which is not impossible. But I would not consider this a market indicator.

For Dubas in Toronto, it's potentially a job-saver. Out of a litany of his questionable moves, giving up a first-round pick to dump Marleau's salary was near the top, especially considering the questionable deals he gave out.
Agree. Teams like the Pens do not value picks in the teens because those players are not likely to help the team in the next 2-3 years. Teams like the Devils value you them because that is the time frame productive players on ELC's will be very valuable. Pitt will be in full rebuild mode in 3 years.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
yeah, the Pens are going to be AWFUL in 2-3 years. They have nothing coming and Crosby and Malkin won't be able to do it all forever

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I didn't even realize trades could be made now. The future of the Pens is putrid. Oh well.

yeah trades can theoretically be made whenever

the trade deadline is just in place because players have to be on their teams' roster as of that date so that they are eligible for the playoffs

since both Pittsburgh and Toronto are obviously eliminated, it doesn't affect this year

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I would agree with you, but Toronto cannot afford much help under their tight cap. I think it's a response for Dubas getting grilled in the media for giving away their own first-rounder in a temper-tantrum move to basically give Lamoriello the middle finger.

In a temper-tantrum move? Marleau was absolutely shot. He put up borderline 3rd line forward numbers and his cap hit was that of a borderline 1st line player. The Leafs barely fit under the cap this season. Signing Marleau to a 35+ deal when the Leafs knew that Matthews and Marner would be RFAs the same year was very poor planning.

Dubas did well here, he got full value for a player coming off a bad season. I don't quite know how he did it.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Pittsburgh taking on Kapanen's 3.2 million; weren't they rumored to be seeking to shed salary? Even getting rid of Murray only saves about 500k. I guess Rust is a candidate to move. I'd take Tanev if we got Poulin. What a terrible contract that deal is.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Pittsburgh taking on Kapanen's 3.2 million; weren't they rumored to be seeking to shed salary? Even getting rid of Murray only saves about 500k. I guess Rust is a candidate to move. I'd take Tanev if we got Poulin. What a terrible contract that deal is.
Conor Sheary is a UFA and made 3m.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I wonder if Toronto fans think that they are going to get similar for Johnsson now
He had season-ending knee surgery so it’s hard to be optimistic about his trade value even with his proof-of-life appearance in a game against CBJ. He’s also 200k more expensive, older and UFA when his deal is up, he’s definitely the player they preferred to be traded but I think they know Kapanen had more value. I also think they’re probably mostly trying to imagine how to trade for a defenseman w/ a 1st+ **cough**cough**

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
According to Lebrun, we were involved in talks for Kapanen and were probably willing to trade one of our later 1sts for him, but we balked at the additional prospect that Pittsburgh added.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
According to Lebrun, we were involved in talks for Kapanen and were probably willing to trade one of our later 1sts for him, but we balked at the additional prospect that Pittsburgh added.
I don't know why we didn't flat out balk at the 1st round price tag. Kapanen is someone you deal for similarly to how we got Palmieri and MarJo. He's not worth a 1st at all.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I didn't realize 15 OA was part of the deal. What was Pit thinking?

I'm positive they will get the next Crosby, though, when they start sucking again and after Crosby has to step in to prevent the team from moving...

Reactions: nugg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad