Around the League 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Good article in The Athletic about Elias Petersson. 14 years ago the Kings hit on a player like this and it was the single biggest factor in the success the team had years later. The Kings need to find a franchise changing player in the next few drafts, much like Kopi was in 2005.

They almost did at the 2015 draft. Then the Lucic trade happened.

Reactions: yankeeking

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
They almost did at the 2015 draft. Then the Lucic trade happened.

It's one of the worst moves in recent Kings memory, how bad really depends on who DL and the staff were going to take. Barzal is looking like he might be a really special player and Connor and Chabot are very good too. But even DeBrusk is good enough where he'd be an important part of the Kings as he'd be a contributing player while still having a place as likely a 2nd liner post rebuild. Based on consensus rankings and team needs you would have to assume the Kings were going to take either Barzal or Connor, which obviously looking back really sucks.

Reactions: yankeeking

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
But those talented players aren’t tough enough or big enough to play Kings hockey, which is still clearly the highly successful way to play hockey. Slow, plodding, perimeter hockey with little skill and creativity is the way to succeed.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Two men enter, one man leaves.

I say if RJ loses, we send him out in the desert on a horse wearing a Kesler jersey and sporting a big ol’ head that looks like Corey Perry.

mad_max_beyond_thunderdome.jpg

If anyone sees a fathead with a Ducks jersey wandering around Hesperia, blame Tyler Toffoli.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Russian wingers top TSN’s ranking of NHL-affiliated prospects

https://www.tsn.ca/russian-wingers-top-tsn-s-ranking-of-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.1241872

LA Ranked prospects in Button's Top 50 list:

30. Kupari
34. Vilardi
43. Anderson
44. Thomas

Ok Blake, TSN made your job a lot easier. This is a list of the players you want to trade for..go get it

Edit: LA one of only 2 teams with 4 prospects listed is the silver lining. Although non being higher than 30 sucks

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
These post-WJC prospect lists are fun to read but often are way too reactive based on the WJC. Ie, I felt like Luukkonen was solid in net but that seems like an aggressive ranking at #13. Similarly Button had Tyler Parsons as the 12th best prospect after he backstropped USA to the Gold a couple years ago, but I wasn't sure he had higher pro potential than say an Eric Comrie.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Akil Thomas is intriguing to me, and I hope I'm wrong about him, but he doesn't strike me at all as an NHL scorer. Depth maybe, speedster is fantastic, but he doesn't seem to get dirty enough to overcome his size even in juniors.

Reactions: LAKings88 and YP44

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Kopitar - 1st rd
Williams - 1st rd
Brown - 1st rd
Richards - 1st rd (took a 1st to get him)
Doughty - 1st rd
Carter - 1st rd (took a 1st to get him)

Those were the top 6 scorers going into the 2012 playoffs. Later round picks can obviously become star level players, but you need talent that shows through at an early age. Until the Kings start getting a couple of those kinds of players, and they may be set back another year because of Vilardi, it's going to be a while. From Brown to Doughty was 5 drafts. If Kupari is the Brown of this next generation, that's 2023 until they maybe get their Doughty. Then in 2009 they got the 5th pick, and that's 2024, so 6 drafts.

Although to be fair, between Brown and Doughty, they completely missed on 2 picks. If you don't miss, the number of rebuilding years might not be too bad, but you can't miss.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Kopitar - 1st rd
Williams - 1st rd
Brown - 1st rd
Doughty - 1st rd

Those were the top 6 scorers going into the 2012 playoffs. Later round picks can obviously become star level players, but you need talent that shows through at an early age. Until the Kings start getting a couple of those kinds of players, and they may be set back another year because of Vilardi, it's going to be a while. From Brown to Doughty was 5 drafts. If Kupari is the Brown of this next generation, that's 2023 until they maybe get their Doughty. Then in 2009 they got the 5th pick, and that's 2024, so 6 drafts.

Although to be fair, between Brown and Doughty, they completely missed on 2 picks. If you don't miss, the number of rebuilding years might not be too bad, but you can't miss.
Not only that, but

Williams - 1st rd - 28th overall
Brown - 1st rd - 13th overall
Richards - 1st rd (took a 1st to get him) - 24th overall (cost the Kings a player that was the 5th overall)
Doughty - 1st rd - 2nd overall
Carter - 1st rd (took a 1st to get him) - 11th overall (cost the Kings a player that was the 3rd overall)

You don't have to get into the top 5 overall in the draft, but it doesn't hurt to gather those type of assets. Some how or other there are 3 top five picks in that mix. The Kings are not going to get better, until they do some work on collecting those type of assets.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Kopitar - 1st rd
Williams - 1st rd
Brown - 1st rd
Doughty - 1st rd

Take a look at Taylor from 2000 until the Kopitar pick. Frolov the only good one until 2003 where he still managed to draft two of the least impactful players in the best draft of all time. Then he was fortunate that Kopitar was overlooked because of his heritage and dropped to 11 even when he was ranked higher. Taylor crushed the 2005 draft with Quick in the 3rd as well but his bungling of nearly every 1st round pick prior to that sunk him.

Lombardi wasn't too hot either which helps the argument for tanking doesn't guarantee anything; however, he tanked them to where they were most likely getting Stamkos or Doughty. Then that pick at the top of the 2nd becomes Voynov.

It is not an exact science but I want as many picks and as high as possible. Vilardi has the skill to be the fortunate Dave Taylor Special (Pick from 11-23) that actually works out but now it is really up in the air. I can't stress how important that pick was to the retool effort since he had a skill set that could possibly be impactful by next season. The Kings haven't hit on a 1st round pick since Schenn and generally struck out with 2nd rounders. There is no cavalry coming in time to save this core.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad