Around the League 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Man they are just gushing all over Hart right now. They can;t wait to make him the greatest ever, only then to say how the Flyers rushed him and ruined his career. Pump the break media.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Oh how funny would that be! This place would explode with anger because we blew our chance at the top pick by making the playoffs, which was the goal to start the season.:laugh:
I'm gonna be pissed. All these playoff teams are suddenly on the tank train.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, I see.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It's not the hard cap per se, it's the stupid contracts with NTC's handed out by the GMs. The owners are never going to give up the salary cap.

They can fix the problem with their GMs.

Yeah, but that's all a byproduct of the cap. GMs in a competitive environment, having to cheat artificial limits to keep their job, which is dependent on 25 other people. Throw in an extra year to keep the hit down, give a guy a clause so he signs with us, etc. When the CBA comes up they decrease/increase the limits in order to facilitate player movement, but even then, we still don't see a lot of it outside of the deadline and draft.

Then the bad contracts from previous years are allowed to continue, so they have to filter through the new rules, and nobody wants those old contracts since they were signed under different conditions, and you're still stuck. Unless you get lucky like Nashville.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah, but that's all a byproduct of the cap. GMs in a competitive environment, having to cheat artificial limits to keep their job, which is dependent on 25 other people. Throw in an extra year to keep the hit down, give a guy a clause so he signs with us, etc. When the CBA comes up they decrease/increase the limits in order to facilitate player movement, but even then, we still don't see a lot of it outside of the deadline and draft.

Then the bad contracts from previous years are allowed to continue, so they have to filter through the new rules, and nobody wants those old contracts since they were signed under different conditions, and you're still stuck. Unless you get lucky like Nashville.

The owner's can fix the cheating quite easily. They can do any one or a combination of the following:

1. Lower the max contract length.
2. Eliminate the back-diving contract, by making the any money a player receives in a season the cap number for that season.
3. Eliminate the guaranteed contract.

These three things would eliminate "bad" contracts, and make the game much better for the customer (FANS). People forget the game is for the fans, not the players or the owners. The fans pay the bills.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The owner's can fix the cheating quite easily. They can do any one or a combination of the following:

1. Lower the max contract length.
2. Eliminate the back-diving contract, by making the any money a player receives in a season the cap number for that season.
3. Eliminate the guaranteed contract.

These three things would eliminate "bad" contracts, and make the game much better for the customer (FANS). People forget the game is for the fans, not the players or the owners. The fans pay the bills.

Number 2 intrigues me. #3 will never happen and I would replace with cap signing bonuses.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
How bad do you have to be to get traded for Luke Schenn and a 7th?

How bad do you have to be to require a 7th rd pick be added to your name in a trade for Del Zotto?

How unlikely are you to ever live your dream if the pick that is used on you is included in a trade that involves Schenn and Del Zotto in order to make it a palatable deal?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Number 2 intrigues me. #3 will never happen and I would replace with cap signing bonuses.
#3 has already been implemented in the NFL and has been around for a long time. Each CBA, the NHL gets closer and closer to the NFL model.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
#3 has already been implemented in the NFL and has been around for a long time. Each CBA, the NHL gets closer and closer to the NFL model.
Guaranteed contracts will go away in the NFL in the next Decade. They have always had them and last year the first ever fully guaranteed contract was signed in the NFL. Time will tell but I think the NFL will be the one changing on this. To be honest I think it should be guaranteed too, players go through hell and risk injury for these owners to make alot of money.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Guaranteed contracts will go away in the NFL in the next Decade. They have always had them and last year the first ever fully guaranteed contract was signed in the NFL. Time will tell but I think the NFL will be the one changing on this. To be honest I think it should be guaranteed too, players go through hell and risk injury for these owners to make alot of money.
It's the owners who risk their capital, not the players. It's fair to have a certain amount of a contract guaranteed to the player. What isn't fair is watching a 30-something year old player, with 5 years remaining on his contract, playing like he needs NO-DOZE.

I guess you're talking about Kirk Cousins contract. Yeah, I am sure there are many NFL owners wanting to avoid that mistake.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
It's the owners who risk their capital, not the players. It's fair to have a certain amount of a contract guaranteed to the player. What isn't fair is watching a 30-something year old player, with 5 years remaining on his contract, playing like he needs NO-DOZE.

I guess you're talking about Kirk Cousins contract. Yeah, I am sure there are many NFL owners wanting to avoid that mistake.

If owners do not want to pay that length or amount then do not sign it. It really should be that simple.

And Yes was talking about Cousins. If I am an NFL owner I absolutely do not give out fully guaranteed contracts until I have to. Why would they. In the Cousins case that was the negotiating tactic they used to get it. Not even looking at him, NFL players in general are demanding more and more of their contracts be fully guaranteed. I am very interested in what Bell's deal will look like.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
If owners do not want to pay that length or amount then do not sign it. It really should be that simple.

And Yes was talking about Cousins. If I am an NFL owner I absolutely do not give out fully guaranteed contracts until I have to. Why would they. In the Cousins case that was the negotiating tactic they used to get it. Not even looking at him, NFL players in general are demanding more and more of their contracts be fully guaranteed. I am very interested in what Bell's deal will look like.

Part of it is, between the two PA's, NHL has been stronger overall...I don't think you will ever get rid of guaranteed contracts in the NHL, PA wouldn't let that happen, most you might get, is limit it to 5 years etc, and even then, that's gonna be interesting.

Reactions: YP44

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

It's not that simple. If I am an owner putting up my capital I want some cost certainty and a certain level of performance. If a player is signed to a contract, an owner has a right to expect a level of performance commensurate with the amount of the contract. If the player isn't providing that level of performance, the organization should be able to cut the player, minus a guaranteed amount.

I think any NFL owner giving Bell a guaranteed contract will be making a mistake.

The owners and players are not partners in this business. One is the boss, and the other in the employee. The owners always win when it comes to new CBA's, because time is on their side, and the fans have already demonstrated multiple times they will come back as soon as the NHL is playing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad