OT: Around The League: 2018-2019 - Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Someone who struggles with offense outside of the playoff picture will take Zykov before us.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
Well, we can hope.. I was about to say the same damn things. Zykov needs a new start.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014

Darling on waivers. Remember how many people talked about getting Darling prior to trading for Bishops rights and signing him ? Thank goodness we didn't . Well guess thats the risk of signing a backup from a great team to bigger long-term contract .

Yeah Nill didn’t want to pay the third it cost to acquire his rights. I liked Bishop a lot more anyways, for goalies I’ll always go with a proven starter because the jump from back up to starter is so big.

Honestly Nill has been saved from a lot of his dumb moves by even dumber GMs. He wanted to sign Lucic and there are rumours that he wanted Alzner as well.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I never understood people wanting Darling over Bishop. Sure, Bishop has the injury problems, but he's a proven starter who has shown that he can be an elite goaltender. Darling was a glorified backup on one of the most dominant teams we've seen in the last decade. The potential was there, but he was a much bigger risk. That's something Nill could not afford to take with his goaltending choices again.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Seemed like first target was Cam Talbot, who started hot for Oil, has come back to normal, I think (don't follow all that close) partly because of the EDM D. On the other hand, I always thought Bishop looked dominant against us, in his prime, not too far of a Dominic Haszek type of intimidation. He is past his prime, but still good, and still probably just the most logical choice for the Stars. Not unlike Kari was the most logical choice a decade ago.

Definitely one of Nill's wins.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
With any luck, Point or Oettinger (or someone else) will be developed internally and will take over towards the end of Bishop's contract. Neither look particularly promising, but goalies are such voodoo it's hard to project them in any way.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
With any luck, Point or Oettinger (or someone else) will be developed internally and will take over towards the end of Bishop's contract. Neither look particularly promising, but goalies are such voodoo it's hard to project them in any way.

I mean Carter Harts or Ilya Samsonovs AHL stats aren't good either. Turns out beeing an rookie goaltender in the AHL isn't that easy. Hell some goalies look better in the NHL than they do in the AHL because the defensive shemes protect goalies better in the better league.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I mean Carter Harts or Ilya Samsonovs AHL stats aren't good either. Turns out beeing an rookie goaltender in the AHL isn't that easy. Hell some goalies look better in the NHL than they do in the AHL because the defensive shemes protect goalies better in the better league.

For Point, sure. Oettinger (stat-wise, at least) seems to be getting worse as the years go on. I don't know if BU is just getting worse teams or what - maybe there's some confounding factor there.

My point was more that it's too early to assume anything about them. They certainly have great potential, but neither looks like a world-beater right now. Even guys like Shestyorkin and Sorokin could bust. You just never know with goalies until they make the NHL and have success there. And even after that, there are no guarantees (e.g. Andrew Raycroft, Steve Mason).

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Oettinger must've been getting better as the year moved on he was below .900 earlier when i looked. Considering Oettingers backup has abysmal stats i would guess BU isn't good defensively but who knows. He's still years away so who the hell knows.

At this point i don't know about our AHL goaltending . It hasn't been very good in year and i doesn't matter if it was a prospect or a AHL veteran between the pipes . Last time was like 4 or 5 years ago the AHL team had decent goaltending . Well maybe the Calder Cup run last year but the team was signficantly better than it was during the regular season imho.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
For Point, sure. Oettinger (stat-wise, at least) seems to be getting worse as the years go on. I don't know if BU is just getting worse teams or what - maybe there's some confounding factor there.

My point was more that it's too early to assume anything about them. They certainly have great potential, but neither looks like a world-beater right now. Even guys like Shestyorkin and Sorokin could bust. You just never know with goalies until they make the NHL and have success there. And even after that, there are no guarantees (e.g. Andrew Raycroft, Steve Mason).
BU hasn’t gotten worse each year he’s been there .

Reactions: LatvianTwist

serp

Jan 17, 2016
By the way how are the Blues this terrible ? Currently in the process of getting their butts kicked by the Yotes and just overall having a terrible year . Didn't they load up in the offseason ? Maybe ROR is bad luck . Avs became better when he left and the Sabres worse and now the Sabres are good and the Blues looking like they're in for a tanking year.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
By the way how are the Blues this terrible ? Currently in the process of getting their butts kicked by the Yotes and just overall having a terrible year . Didn't they load up in the offseason ? Maybe ROR is bad luck . Avs became better when he left and the Sabres worse and now the Sabres are good and the Blues looking like they're in for a tanking year.

I think it's a combination of Yeo finally getting exposed, poor goaltending, Petro seems to be declining a bit, and the shake-up at forward didn't work.

ROR certainly does seem to have some bad juju following him around. His teams have just been terrible barring a couple of Colorado teams early in his career.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Also very happy the Hawks are bad again this year. The Division is strong enough don't need Blues and Hawks also in the running for a playoffs spot.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

For funsies here Keller dangling a couple of Blues and making a sweet pass for Goose to score .

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Their defense isn't what it once was, and their goaltending is extremely unreliable.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Anyone halfway decent isn't making it to us. There's a decent chance Carrick wouldn't have made it to us either which is why we traded for him.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yotes probably not too happy with that but its better than when the Stars played in the Pacific . Just easiest way to handle it. Could've also put Avs in the Pacific and the two Alberta teams to the central but thats more complicated i guess.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Yotes probably not too happy with that but its better than when the Stars played in the Pacific . Just easiest way to handle it. Could've also put Avs in the Pacific and the two Alberta teams to the central but thats more complicated i guess.

I think the goal is to keep the team in Phoenix, but it does make a potential move to Houston slightly easier to coordinate now.

I have to wonder if there will be a pre-season game in Houston between Dallas and Arizona in the next few years. I think if we do see that, it would be very telling as to the direction of that franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00