OT: Around The League: 2018-2019 - Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

There goes McLellan . Replaced by Hitch !??? . Ok i guess .

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Lmao

Maybe Hitch was intentionally giving Monty bad advice (ex: give Ritchie top 6 time)

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
If we still had Pateryn we could've gotten a kings ransom . Who else did Hitch love last year thats still on the roster we don't need anymore ?

Hanzal would be a perfect fit. I think that signing was totally inspired by Hitchcock.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Oilers fan here. So what was your guys' experience of having Hitch as head coach last year? My initial reaction was this hire for the Oilers doesn't seem like the best choice.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Oilers fan here. So what was your guys' experience of having Hitch as head coach last year? My initial reaction was this hire for the Oilers doesn't seem like the best choice.

Honestly for a team with McDavid maybe it won't be too much of an issue, but the games were so boring and slow and he hates anyone that isn't good defensively. Big part of Spezza's downfall last season (Spezza is already more than halfway to his point total from last year).

The Hitch effect on offense can be brutal but your defense should be solid. Expect Kassian or some other 4th liner to get top 6 minutes and top powerplay unit time lol he did that with Brett Ritchie all season long and it was dreadful

Reactions: serp

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary

He did wonders with our defensive play, helped Seguin with being more of a 2 way C, and the penalty kill improved

But come the end of the year the team couldn't score. He's was a great coach and will improve your teams defensive aspects, but I think his style is out dated.

Although if he can get the Oilers to buy into his system and McDavid scores the way he does, then I guess he could have some success there. Maybe that's the plan

Reactions: serp

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Excessive overreliance on top guys and grinders he falls in love with that absolutely can't score. If you have any skilled depth player he will kill their offense completely . The defensive structure will improve and it usually makes the goaltending look better too but like i said it comes at a cost.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Thanks for the responses. That's pretty much what it looks like from the outside. I was wondering if he had adapted much to the faster NHL game and the nuances were only more apparent to people who regularly watch the team he coaches. However it sounds like it's still defense at the expense of offense.

Reactions: serp and Kcb12345

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
He will turn Conner McDavid in to the league's first $15Mil checking center...….

As to the bigger question, it sounds like EDM has always struggled a bit on D, and given the talent without great results, it suggests maybe a structure type coach like Hitch would have a good effect. Monty says we are still benefitting from Hitch coaching last year on D, although admittedly, I thought that was him just saying the right things while Hitch was here.

I see him in another one max 2 year stint with the Oil. Even when effective, he wears on players, esp. young ones with talent. I suspected the Stars had tuned him out by March, explain the big losing streak at the end.

Hitch supposedly retired after St. Louis, but said Dallas was like home and the opportunity was too good. I guess he can say EDM IS home, but after this gig, he has run out of good story lines as to why he came out of retirement.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Thanks for the responses. That's pretty much what it looks like from the outside. I was wondering if he had adapted much to the faster NHL game and the nuances were only more apparent to people who regularly watch the team he coaches. However it sounds like it's still defense at the expense of offense.

Also should mention, the team and players did not seem too thrilled with him as coach. Sounds like he is a pain to play for and that players do not care for him all that much. His style is just so old and the way he treats his players doesn't help

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Coyotes trade Perlini and Strome to Chicago for Nick Schmaltz

Wish our GM would make some moves when things clearly aren't working out

serp

Jan 17, 2016
We need an established top6 guy not some maybe . We have a ton of maybes already.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Schmaltz is an established top 6 player.

It probably would’ve cost Hintz or Shore and more, though.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Schmaltz is an established top 6 player.

It probably would’ve cost Hintz or Shore and more, though.

Is he ? He had one strong year last season and has been somewhat disapointing this year so far . Wouldn't call that an established top 6 player.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Is he ? He had one strong year last season and has been somewhat disapointing this year so far . Wouldn't call that an established top 6 player.

He had 20 goals, 50 points, and good numbers all around on a pretty abysmal Chicago team. He’s had a slow start to this season relative to last, but is still producing at a 40+ point pace. Some of that is due to Chicago trying to force him out of his comfort zone.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Chiasson is having a season that reminds me when we first called him up at the end of 2012-2013 . Scoring goals like crazy. Now already at ten.

IRC he really was mortified when Peverly collapsed ( sat next to him IRC when it happened ) and never looked the same here after that.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He had 20 goals, 50 points, and good numbers all around on a pretty abysmal Chicago team. He’s had a slow start to this season relative to last, but is still producing at a 40+ point pace. Some of that is due to Chicago trying to force him out of his comfort zone.

I mean trading guys who are actually playing well for a guy who has been disapointing still seems like a dumb idea. Yotes gave up a massive disapointing #3 pick so far in Strome and a third line winger in Perlini. Both not having good years either. ( i know its the Yotes but still )

We would need to find someone who trades us their disapointments for ours. Not some of our better players for someones disapointments.

If you find takers for Honka , Val , Janmark and a couple of the other guys who have underarchived so far fine but i'm not sure what that gets us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille