OT: Around The League: 2018-2019 - Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I also hope this is the last expansion . 32 teams seems perfect . At least in North America.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I don't think there's any point in having that discussion yet - so much can change in three years. Just look back to the start of 2015 and compare it to now, for instance.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
We only have Benn, Radulov, Seguin, Klingberg, and Bishop signed to or past 2021/2022 (of course will have the rights to RFA players still) so gunna be hard to speculate the proctection lists this early.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
They can always trade assets to ensure certain players are picked.

I really, really hated this about the previous expansion draft. I suppose the trades could just happen at any time once trading is opened for Seattle, but it just made things a convoluted mess that I feel may end hurting Vegas in the long-run.

The precedent has been set though, so Seattle will get the same luxuries.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
They can always trade assets to ensure certain players are picked.

Didn't work out so well for some of the teams that did it. We would need an absolute anchor at that point that we are absolutely sure can't it around . Don't want to be the Jackets and especially not the Panther that gave picks so Vegas picks players who are turning into great players.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Great players who wouldn't have had an opportunity to upset the current group of still good players. William Karlsson and Marchessault weren't going to get more ice time behind the forward corps on either team. It's not a problem honestly.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Great players who wouldn't have had an opportunity to upset the current group of still good players. William Karlsson and Marchessault weren't going to get more ice time behind the forward corps on either team. It's not a problem honestly.

Exposing them to be picked up is not the problem. The adding pieces so they get picked was .

Vegas got a first and a second from Columbus on top of Karlsson ( well they had to also take LTR Clarkson but for a new team np ) and the Panthers gave Vegas Reilly Smith so they would take
Marchessault who wasn't even bad in Florida.

There have been a couple of good trades too but you don't want to do what the Jackets and Panthers did.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I don't think there's any point in having that discussion yet - so much can change in three years. Just look back to the start of 2015 and compare it to now, for instance.

While there will be some changes the 3D is pretty much set in stone with Kling, Lindell and Miro. Goalie will be Bishop unless Point takes large strides over the next 2 years (very possible) and the forwards will have Benn, Seguin, and Rads for sure with very likely RFA additions of Faksa and Dickinson. So as a rough projection I think we could have as a 7-3-1 format

Benn
Seguin
Rads
Faksa
Dickinson
2 of Hintz/Shore/Gurianov/Janmark

Klingberg
Lindell
Heiskanen

Bishop/Point

Last 2 forward spots going to the forwards form that list that impress the most. Baring a trade I think the top 5 are a reasonably safe bet when you consider how the org views Dickinson and Faksa. I think where the biggest problem comes in is if Bayreuther continues to look like he does now then we could easily go 4-4-1 route exposing some decent forwards which include that entire list after our big 3 if we go out and get a legit extra top 6 option.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
While there will be some changes the 3D is pretty much set in stone with Kling, Lindell and Miro. Goalie will be Bishop unless Point takes large strides over the next 2 years (very possible) and the forwards will have Benn, Seguin, and Rads for sure with very likely RFA additions of Faksa and Dickinson. So as a rough projection I think we could have as a 7-3-1 format

Benn
Seguin
Rads
Faksa
Dickinson

Klingberg
Lindell
Heiskanen

Bishop/Point

Last 2 forward spots going to the forwards form that list that impress the most. Baring a trade I think the top 5 are a reasonably safe bet when you consider how the org views Dickinson and Faksa. I think where the biggest problem comes in is if Bayreuther continues to look like he does now then we could easily go 4-4-1 route exposing some decent forwards which include that entire list after our big 3 if we go out and get a legit extra top 6 option.

I'd expect this to look a lot different from what actually happens.

Rosters turn over so much in three years (again, compare us now to 2015). I think we're stuck with Benn, Segs, Rads, and Bish, and the 3D shouldn't be moved by then, but beyond that who knows.

Reactions: Kcb12345

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Back spasms usually mean the end of a career, I think. That's what forced Nieuwy to retire, as well as a handful of others.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well at least he earned himself a nice payday after beeing so injury prone for a long . Sucks for Anaheim though.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
We only have Benn, Radulov, Seguin, Klingberg, and Bishop signed to or past 2021/2022 (of course will have the rights to RFA players still) so gunna be hard to speculate the proctection lists this early.
It's also easy to speculate they may be eager to expose any or all of Bishop (will be 35 and probably five more stints on IR by then), Radulov (will be 35 and probably pretty slow), and Benn (will be 32 but expensive and maybe broken down). Although, we're you required to protect dudes with NMCs?

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
It's also easy to speculate they may be eager to expose any or all of Bishop (will be 35 and probably five more stints on IR by then), Radulov (will be 35 and probably pretty slow), and Benn (will be 32 but expensive and maybe broken down). Although, we're you required to protect dudes with NMCs?

All players with a NMC must be protected unless they agree to waive.

Interestingly from capfriendly

Benn has a full NMC
Seguin has a 15 team no trade list then a full NMC once his extension kicks in
Radulov has a 15 team no trade list
Bishop has a 10 team no trade list until 2022/2023 where it becomes an 8 team no trade list

And then won't be relevant for the expansion, but:
Spezza has a modified NTC, NMC - 10 team no trade list
Methot - Modified NTC - 10 team no trade list

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Exposing them to be picked up is not the problem. The adding pieces so they get picked was .

Vegas got a first and a second from Columbus on top of Karlsson ( well they had to also take LTR Clarkson but for a new team np ) and the Panthers gave Vegas Reilly Smith so they would take
Marchessault who wasn't even bad in Florida.

There have been a couple of good trades too but you don't want to do what the Jackets and Panthers did.
You have that backwards. They had to Leave Marchessault Exposed in order to take Rielly Smith, and more importantly his Contract off their Hands.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well i would guess Esas new contract this offseason will probably have a couple of provisions.

Its still ways off and who knows that happens . Someone unexpected may break out / we make trades or someone falls off a cliff production wise.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
You have that backwards. They had to Leave Marchessault Exposed in order to take Rielly Smith, and more importantly his Contract off their Hands.

Still don't like that Reilly Smiths contract was not a boat anchor . Yeah he didn't have a good year but who had on the Panthers that season ? They handed Vegas two top six forwards . I would take someone like Reilly easily in our top 6

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX

Benn
Seguin
Rads
Faksa
Dickinson

Klingberg
Lindell
Heiskanen

Bishop/Point

2 years away, too early to start trying to figure it out.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Still don't like that Reilly Smiths contract was not a boat anchor . Yeah he didn't have a good year but who had on the Panthers that season ? They handed Vegas two top six forwards . I would take someone like Reilly easily in our top 6
No that contract wasn't bad, and likewise I'd much rather see either of them in Dallas, But Florida went through its big Salary Purge that off-season with Smith's 5yr @5mil being the most notable

Reactions: LatvianTwist

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
2 years away, too early to start trying to figure it out.

Its really not too far out for us to put out a template tho and thats my point. Bishop, Benn, Seguin, and Rads have NMC so that is 4 spots. There is about a 99.9999999999% chance that Klingberg, Lindell and Heiskanen are all still here at the draft so that is 3 more guaranteed picks. That is 7 players we can pretty safely assume will be protected. In our list we can put a conditionally protected Point over Bishop if he waives. Given how the org is super high on Faksa and Dickinson we can assume that as of right now they are likely protected leaving only 2 hard to predict spots in a 7-3-1 format.

If Bay makes a name for himself and forces protection then we are left with an even more accurate list of the names mentioned above + Bay as the 4th Dman leaving a single uncertain roster spot.

Thanks to the NMC we have + 3 guaranteed borderline un-moveable defensemen we can actually make an extremely educated guess as to who we will protect because there is a very high chance all 7 of those players are still in Victory green come 2021.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I'd expect this to look a lot different from what actually happens.

Rosters turn over so much in three years (again, compare us now to 2015). I think we're stuck with Benn, Segs, Rads, and Bish, and the 3D shouldn't be moved by then, but beyond that who knows.
But thats the whole point...

Those 7 are pretty much locked in. That is the majority of the list. If Bay literally continues at his current pace then we are left with a single open protection slot. I get some teams would have a hard time predicting who will get protected but given our contract status we can put together a list that is likely very very close to the actual list that Dallas will end up submitting

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
All of this is also assuming we don't sign or acquire any top 6 players at any point over the next 2-3 years

Reactions: LatvianTwist
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad