OT: Around The League: 2018-2019 - Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If it was an option would a Hanzal + some minor picks for Kovalchuk ( retained to make the salaries even ) entice anyone ? I'm not sure. Kovys contract is clearly worse but he's somewhat healthy and productive and friends with Rads. Hanzal i still don't get why he was even signed last year . He issupposed to be somewhat close to actually playing and even on the roadtrip with the team but he's not exactly what the team needs if he even returns halfway decent which i still don't really believe will happen.

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I mean trading guys who are actually playing well for a guy who has been disapointing still seems like a dumb idea. Yotes gave up a massive disapointing #3 pick so far in Strome and a third line winger in Perlini. Both not having good years either. ( i know its the Yotes but still )

We would need to find someone who trades us their disapointments for ours. Not some of our better players for someones disapointments.

If you find takers for Honka , Val , Janmark and a couple of the other guys who have underarchived so far fine but i'm not sure what that gets us.

I wouldn’t really call Schmaltz much of a disappointment. Strome is the only disappointment in that deal.

A comparable would probably be Dickinson/Hintz/Shore + Nichushkin, which I’m not totally sure I’d do. I’m also doubtful that that would beat Arizona’s offer.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If it was an option would a Hanzal + some minor picks for Kovalchuk ( retained to make the salaries even ) entice anyone ? I'm not sure. Kovys contract is clearly worse but he's somewhat healthy and productive and friends with Rads. Hanzal i still don't get why he was even signed last year . He issupposed to be somewhat close to actually and even on the roadtrip with the team but he's not exactly what the team needs if he even returns halfway decent which i still don't really believe will happen.

Why would LA do this, though? Is Kovy’s contract really that much of a burden to them?

I’d also imagine they might get better deals consisting of more futures than that.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I wouldn’t really call Schmaltz much of a disappointment. Strome is the only disappointment in that deal.

A comparable would probably be Dickinson/Hintz/Shore + Nichushkin, which I’m not totally sure I’d do. I’m also doubtful that that would beat Arizona’s offer.

There's also reports Schmaltz wants money the Hawks weren't willing to pay when his contract is up . What exactly that means i have no idea.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Why would LA do this, though? Is Kovy’s contract really that much of a burden to them?

I’d also imagine they might get better deals consisting of more futures than that.

I mean at the end of the day Kovy with his full NMC has the last say. He can decide if and where he wants to go. Doubtful there's some magic big return for that contract no matter where he's traded. Kovy will make sure of that.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
There's also reports Schmaltz wants money the Hawks weren't willing to pay when his contract is up . What exactly that means i have no idea.

Bowman also apparently said he wasn’t concerned with his RFA negotiations. I wonder if he simply priced himself out of Chicago.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Looking at the minutes in that game Pujujarvi 7:31 is another guy that isn't going to be the favorite of the new coach and might be available. With more young finnish players around he could maybe work ? PRetty sure he played with Hintz and Heiskanen in some junior teams.

Kovy played just 6:20 by the way. Doubt he's going to be happy under Willie D

Also even with so many of our defenseman injured i look at what Edmonton ices there trying to score and just shudder. That must the the worst defense when it comes to moving the puck and trying to score in the league.

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Looking at the minutes in that game Pujujarvi 7:31 is another guy that isn't going to be the favorite of the new coach and might be available. With more young finnish players around he could maybe work ? PRetty sure he played with Hintz and Heiskanen in some junior teams.

Kovy played just 6:20 by the way. Doubt he's going to be happy under Willie D

Also even with so many of our defenseman injured i look at what Edmonton ices there trying to score and just shudder. That must the the worst defense when it comes to moving the puck and trying to score in the league.

Hitchcock personally asked for Puljujarvi to be called up so he could "have a hand in his development"

What an awful idea to trust Hitch with a younger players development lmao.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean if you're a can't miss prospect or already well developed two way player Hitch is fine and he'll trust you enough. If you're mistake prone or an offensive minded player Hitch is gonna sit your ass faster than you can say "sorry coach" which would be ok if he also wasn't rewarding grinders with your minutes who won't be benched when they make similar mistakes.

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I mean if you're a can't miss prospect or already well developed two way player Hitch is fine and he'll trust you enough. If you're mistake prone or an offensive minded player Hitch is gonna sit your ass faster than you can say "sorry coach" which would be ok if he also wasn't rewarding grinders with your minutes who won't be benched when they make similar mistakes.

Unfortunately Puljujarvi is both of those :laugh:

Reactions: Kcb12345

serp

Jan 17, 2016

By the way Ron Hextal is out in Philly .

Also Karl Alzner on waivers. Eeh what a terrible contract.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He's so good.

Remember when Benn and Seguin were outskating guys to create breakaways? Those were the days.

Jesus. Not looking forward to us playing him tomorrow lol

Benn and Seguin just seem so slow now. I always thought speed was such an asset for Seguin but he just does not use his speed that much anymore if he still has it. Benn just sorta skates around now and when the puck gets too far away from him to the point where he has to chase it down he just goes to the bench lol

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Jesus. Not looking forward to us playing him tomorrow lol

Benn and Seguin just seem so slow now. I always thought speed was such an asset for Seguin but he just does not use his speed that much anymore if he still has it. Benn just sorta skates around now and when the puck gets too far away from him to the point where he has to chase it down he just goes to the bench lol

The Oilers are McDavid , Draisaitl with RHN and Chiasson chipping in and nothing else. They lost to the f***ing Kings yesterday and before that to the Ducks and the Kings and Ducks are awful. We've seen both those teams a couple of times and they're bad. McDavid will his points . He allways does but this is game any team thats even half decent should win. Oilers are bad.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Between Seguin's ankle cut and Benn's hip surgeries, it sure seems like they both don't have the top end speed they used to.
Nobody looks particularly quick on the team this year, even Smith has looked slow, which leads me to believe it is either a conditioning issue (would explain the rash of injuries) or the system (or lack thereof)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Between Seguin's ankle cut and Benn's hip surgeries, it sure seems like they both don't have the top end speed they used to.

Not sure if it had much impact, but a hip surgery is also what forced Nichushkin to miss nearly his entire 2nd season. Shame. He had such a promising rookie year and that definitely did not help

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
This plus opposing teams have gotten faster while the Stars have stagnated or gotten worse in their pace of play. The first 3 years after Seguin's trade, the Stars were one of the fastest teams in the league, they're not even close anymore.

Reactions: Kcb12345

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Haven't seen anyone mention that Antoine Roussel got fined $5K for biting Vlasic of the Sharks. He seemed to be losing it a little last year, but for whatever reason, biting would seem to confirm his descent into a real goon. I think we upgraded with Comeau.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Haven't seen anyone mention that Antoine Roussel got fined $5K for biting Vlasic of the Sharks. He seemed to be losing it a little last year, but for whatever reason, biting would seem to confirm his descent into a real goon. I think we upgraded with Comeau.

Combined 35 PIMs in his last 4 games lol wow

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I believe Darling was our number 1 target if I was not mistaken.

Thankfully CAR stole him from us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad