Around the League 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
So Buffalo basically replaced half of their team with new players now...

6 F -- Skinner, Sheary, Mittelstadt, Sobotka, Berglund, Thompson. Plus possibly Nylander or Olofsson.
2 D -- Dahlin, Hunwick. Plus possibly Hickey.
1 G -- Hutton.

Quite some turnover.

They certainly needed some turnover. Add these new guys to ROR, Eichel, Risto and maybe they have a decent team - probably won't make the playoffs still, but it could be a step in the right direction.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Did anyone else see the Score article ranking the top 16 teams into tiers. Jets were in the top tier with Nashville and Tampa! This is such a weird feeling to have my favorite sports team ever being predicted to be a Stanley Cup favorite.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Did anyone else see the Score article ranking the top 16 teams into tiers. Jets were in the top tier with Nashville and Tampa! This is such a weird feeling to have my favorite sports team ever being predicted to be a Stanley Cup favorite.
One thing fans forget about our team is that the young kids will only improve and contribute more, that's always tough to account for.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
[Removed for inaccuracy despite the fact it's enshrined in quotes].

I know Skinner is a pending UFA soon but what a garbage return.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Remember when people argued whether or not TNSE should have kept Waddel?

Yep. A little foreshadowing of the pennies on the dollar we will get for Trouba if we hold on too long. Once everyone knows a player wants out and has a clear path to UFA status returns diminish quickly. No accident the Sens can't get a decent bite on Karlsson one of the top couple d-man in the league.

Reactions: AWSAA and GNP

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Yep. A little foreshadowing of the pennies on the dollar we will get for Trouba if we hold on too long. Once everyone knows a player wants out and has a clear path to UFA status returns diminish quickly. No accident the Sens can't get a decent bite on Karlsson one of the top couple d-man in the league.

Trouba's trade value is definitely diminished but I'd still expect a greater sort of return than this if we were to trade him next summer. Trade deadline deals regularly get more than this.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trouba's trade value is definitely diminished but I'd still expect a greater sort of return than this if we were to trade him next summer. Trade deadline deals regularly get more than this.
Good point. I'd expect more at the trade deadline for a scorer like Skinner than the Canes got for him.

Having Trouba for a key year has significant value.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Good point. I'd expect more at the trade deadline for a scorer like Skinner than the Canes got for him.

That's part of the problem for any Trouba deal. As a strong contender the Jets will never trade him at the TD so that heightened rental value window doesn't really exist for them. Unless things go unexpectedly off the rails Trouba is either traded this off season or next at a reduced value or held on for 2 years with no residual value. Unless he is in Norris contention he will lose value with each season. I get the idea of maximizing this season, I just don't buy this as being our best window. With the talent we have aged 20 - 25 years, a lot of it already signed to value deals it would be a mistake IMO to treat this year as a must win and not be patient and load up on cheaper young talent to support a juggernaut core in a couple seasons. Our peak window should be when Scheifele, Ehlers, Laine, Rosie, Morrissey and Helly are all in their primes at the same time.

The kicker is we would still have enough talent to have a punchers chance for a couple years building up to this.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The Score said:
Something special is brewing in Manitoba. The Jets, who had their first taste of playoff success this spring, are stacked at forward (even without Paul Stastny), own an underappreciated defense, and boast one of the top 25-or-under goalies in Connor Hellebuyck. There isn't a club with a better mix of young and old, and GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has cap room.

I was enjoying that article until they closed the Jets' portion saying we had cap room :laugh:

Ranking NHL teams by tiers: The August top 16

Reactions: bumblebeeman

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Weren't the fans talking about Skinner as if he was the next captain? New ownership meddling? That trade looks terrible for Carolina.

The Canes owner seems like he is overconfident in his abilities. Time will tell if my read on him is off

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Agree they could have got more at the TD unless Skinner got injured of coarse. This feels like saving money might have been a top priority.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Remember when people argued whether or not TNSE should have kept Waddel?

What? No?! That never was the case since Rick Dudley was the Thrashers GM before they moved to the Jets... Waddell is and was a bad GM and many people called it when he was presented in Carolina. Pretty much everyone of his trades in Atlanta was bad to awful.

Also, am I the only one feeling like Skinner and Buffalo feels like something that was bound to happen? Somehow I always associate the Sabres with smaller players. Probably because of the long time they had Ennis I assume.

Reactions: Duke749

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
What? No?! That never was the case since Rick Dudley was the Thrashers GM before they moved to the Jets... Waddell is and was a bad GM and many people called it when he was presented in Carolina. Pretty much everyone of his trades in Atlanta was bad to awful.

Also, am I the only one feeling like Skinner and Buffalo feels like something that was bound to happen? Somehow I always associate the Sabres with smaller players. Probably because of the long time they had Ennis I assume.

I don’t think anyone was saying that. Waddell wasn’t even the GM.

My bad lol. Please excuse my poor memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad