Around the League 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Tom Wilson 6 years at 31 million. Yikes.

This seems crazy...

Cory Hirsch on Twitter was going off on the critics of the contract saying “if you ever went in the corner against Tom Wilson you wouldn’t think he was overpaid” then the Don Cherry lovin out pouring of stats haters chimed in to dangle spit in the face of the stats nerds in the playground to discuss intangibles.

That is such an interesting reaction.

Sure why not pay him 10 million then? I do understand why some guys like throw backs but it’s ok to debate their cap hit.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Brady signing today with NYR should help focus in on what Trouba is really worth.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Much more.

Skjei is a Morrissey comparable. Would not be shocked to see the two getting identical deals.

Yes to both points.....depending on “much more”......certainly more though for Trouba. But as stated it helps clarifies his range

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I love glue guys, character guys, guys who go into the corner, and I am sceptical “fancy stats” but good gravy that Tom Wilson contract seems terrible to me. I’m surprised the Capitals fans are defending it.

Guys with intangibles (which I actually think is a legit thing) should not be paid as if they are superstars.

This makes me even more happy about the Lowry signing. Not that Lowsie is a filthy head shot artist like Wilson so I’m hesitant to make too much of a comparison, but Lowry is out physical guy you don’t want to go into the corners with who adds some secondary scoring.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I love glue guys, character guys, guys who go into the corner, and I am sceptical “fancy stats” but good gravy that Tom Wilson contract seems terrible to me. I’m surprised the Capitals fans are defending it.

Guys with intangibles (which I actually think is a legit thing) should not be paid as if they are superstars.

This makes me even more happy about the Lowry signing. Not that Lowsie is a filthy head shot artist like Wilson so I’m hesitant to make too much of a comparison, but Lowry is out physical guy you don’t want to go into the corners with who adds some secondary scoring.

regarding fancystats and such: there's actually another similarity between Lowry and Wilson besides the whole physical play stuff. I'd call it a lesson on sample sizes and age curves more than fancystats...

what probably (imo) makes some Washington fans "defend" the contract: 2018 Playoffs Tom Wilson (21 games) is actually a really good player according to the basic fancystats. Above average first line scoring at evens, Corgis are barking. Easily worth over $5M.

In the same way, the fancystats of 17-18 Regular Season Adam Lowry (45 games) looked like he'd be easily worth $6M, as I've argued in this post.

But in both cases, you're not signing 2018 Playoffs Wilson or 17-18 Regular Season Lowry; you're signing Tom Wilson or Adam Lowry. Both have a long history of not being 2018 Playoffs Wilson or 17-18 Regular Season Lowry, but significantly worse. Fans might tend to think they're young so it was a "breakout" instead of a random hot streak (24 years really isn't "young" for most players). I wonder what would have happened had Lowry's offensive production carried on into the playoffs (this is a neutral statement, I really do wonder).

by the way: another example of a player whose numbers hinted at an above average first line forward is 14-15 Marko Dano (38 games). His 2.43 5v5 P/60 was better than all 17-18 Jets forwards, and a +6 CF%Rel on top of that? Small samples...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
regarding fancystats and such: there's actually another similarity between Lowry and Wilson besides the whole physical play stuff. I'd call it a lesson on sample sizes and age curves more than fancystats...

what probably (imo) makes some Washington fans "defend" the contract: 2018 Playoffs Tom Wilson (21 games) is actually a really good player according to the basic fancystats. Above average first line scoring at evens, Corgis are barking. Easily worth over $5M.

In the same way, the fancystats of 17-18 Regular Season Adam Lowry (45 games) looked like he'd be easily worth $6M, as I've argued in this post.

But in both cases, you're not signing 2018 Playoffs Wilson or 17-18 Regular Season Lowry; you're signing Tom Wilson or Adam Lowry. Both have a long history of not being 2018 Playoffs Wilson or 17-18 Regular Season Lowry, but significantly worse. Fans might tend to think they're young so it was a "breakout" instead of a random hot streak (24 years really isn't "young" for most players). I wonder what would have happened had Lowry's offensive production carried on into the playoffs (this is a neutral statement, I really do wonder).

by the way: another example of a player whose numbers hinted at an above average first line forward is 14-15 Marko Dano (38 games). His 2.43 5v5 P/60 was better than all 17-18 Jets forwards, and a +6 CF%Rel on top of that? Small samples...
Comparing what Lowry did in 45 games and the playoffs is not the same as Wilson when you dig a bit deeper into the stats. Lowry carried everyone with him (mostly "4th liners") and shut down and dominated everyone, as a C.

Reactions: ERYX

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Comparing what Lowry did in 45 games and the playoffs is not the same as Wilson when you dig a bit deeper into the stats. Lowry carried everyone with him (mostly "4th liners") and shut down and dominated everyone, as a C.

Whereas playoffs Wilson was arguably being pulled up/carried by Ovechkin and Kuznetdov. Is he that good playing with Copp and Tanev instead?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I hope Ceci doesn't sign a contract prior to his arbitration award being announced.

With the asks being 3.5 (team) and 6 (player), I want to see how the impartial arbitrator handles this one. You could argue that Ceci does not deserve that 3.5 that has been offered by the Sens. If he decides to split the difference, I will seriously question the competence of whoever is in charge of evaluating players in these cases.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I hope Ceci doesn't sign a contract prior to his arbitration award being announced.

With the asks being 3.5 (team) and 6 (player), I want to see how the impartial arbitrator handles this one. You could argue that Ceci does not deserve that 3.5 that has been offered by the Sens. If he decides to split the difference, I will seriously question the competence of whoever is in charge of evaluating players in these cases.

What a job. You get paid to listen to both side argue ( in the case of Trouba it was said to be 6 hours ) and then you make the decision you had already decided you were going to make before the meeting even started.... right down the middle.

Two players so far went to arbitration meetings this year ( Trouba - WPG, Kulak - CAL ) both were awarded a split.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
What a job. You get paid to listen to both side argue ( in the case of Trouba it was said to be 6 hours ) and then you make the decision you had already decided you were going to make before the meeting even started.... right down the middle.

Two players so far went to arbitration meetings this year ( Trouba - WPG, Kulak - CAL ) both were awarded a split.
In those cases, going down the middle was even somewhat sensible. When it comes to Ceci, 4.75 would be just a gross overestimation of what Ceci is and has no bearings on his results.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

There's no way Cici is worth 3.5 million. The sens were forced to offer that as a minimum, because of RFA rules.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
What RFA rule compels the team to offer more than the player is worth?
You cannot go below whatever the player's qualifying offer is. That goes for both arbitration cases and other contracts.

Now, Ceci's base salary from last year was 3.35 million, so they did offer a bit more.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
You cannot go below whatever the player's qualifying offer is. That goes for both arbitration cases and other contracts.

Now, Ceci's base salary from last year was 3.35 million, so they did offer a bit more.

Don't qualifying offers also have to have a base inflation of 5% over the previous year salary? Either way, there's no way Cody Ceci is worth that much.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Don't qualifying offers also have to have a base inflation of 5% over the previous year salary? Either way, there's no way Cody Ceci is worth that much.
I think there is a mandatory bump of 5/10% to qualifying offers that are near the league minimum. Don't remember the exact terms, but if you're making over a million, it shouldn't apply.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I saw it stated after Trouba's hearing that the down the middle split happens because in previous cases where it hasn't the arbitrator has been pretty much immediately fired by the 'losing' party. Player evaluation brings very little to the process as it exists currently.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Midpoint between 6 million and 3.5 is 4.75 million.

Would you rather have: An open roster/contract spot OR Cici for 1x4.75 million?

I'd take the open roster spot. At 3.5 I'd think about it.

Ott kinda has to go for it this year.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think there is a mandatory bump of 5/10% to qualifying offers that are near the league minimum. Don't remember the exact terms, but if you're making over a million, it shouldn't apply.

I believe it is 5% for salaries <1mil. I'm not sure what the QO rules are above that salary level. Are teams required to make a QO to players going to arbitration? Does the QO set a minimum level for the arbitration offer?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Midpoint between 6 million and 3.5 is 4.75 million.

Would you rather have: An open roster/contract spot OR Cici for 1x4.75 million?

I'd take the open roster spot. At 3.5 I'd think about it.

The team is allowed to refuse the arbitration contract - making the player a UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad