Around the League 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Would you rather give Wheeler a 6x7.5 contract or Mark Stone a 6x7.5 contract next year?
I was thinking about exactly the same question. I think Stone would want more term, so I was wondering about this comparison:

Wheeler (age 33): 6 x 7M

vs.

Stone (age 27): 7 x 8M

I think you take Stone, but I do wonder if Stone will age as well as I expect Wheeler to.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Certainly looks that way at first glance - but Cliff Pu is a pretty promising looking prospect, 6 years younger than Skinner. If Skinner was going UFA Canes are better off with the futures.

Is Buffalo going to extend Skinner? If so will the salary be worth it? They have no use for a rental. They aren't going anywhere this year anyway. If they just rent Skinner all he gives them is a weaker draft next spring.

True, but reports indicate that Jeff Skinner vetoed a host of trades over the summer, including to the likes of LA. He chose Buffalo over all the other places. Why? He's an Ontario boy, and this is as close to Ontario as he's been in some time. Maybe he re-signs there?

I still can't believe Don Waddell has a job in the NHL.

To be fair, new owner Dundon has his muddy fingerprints all over it, and managed to chase away other promising GMs by virtue of an extreme low ball offer for salary. Don Waddell was far from the 1st choice.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There is some merit to this, but if we're trading Wheeler, I would prefer assets guaranteed for a longer term and just go after Stone if he's still a UFA. Also, Ottawa was a good team two years ago and maybe with The Drama removed from the equation, they turn things around this year.

That was just a hypothetical. If that was the trade being proposed by either side, how would it look to the other side, standing on its merit.

However, going after Stone as a UFA means being just 1 among 30 bidders. Not really very good odds of getting him.

We see that kind of comment so often on HF and it never makes sense for a team that actually wants a given player. We keep seeing it said in relation to Trouba. 'Don't give up assets, just sign him for free in 2 years'. Yeah, that's all. :laugh: Do you want him or don't you? Because if you want the player, pay for him now and then sign him.

Only some of the drama has been removed. It wasn't all just Hoffman's GF. Melnyk was responsible for quite a bit himself. But yes, they may rebound and then they may retain EK65 and Stone. I wouldn't put money on it though.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
True, but reports indicate that Jeff Skinner vetoed a host of trades over the summer, including to the likes of LA. He chose Buffalo over all the other places. Why? He's an Ontario boy, and this is as close to Ontario as he's been in some time. Maybe he re-signs there?

Hadn't heard that part of the Skinner story. If they can start it going in the right direction he might like it there. Sabres are going to need more than 1 Dman though. I'm not sold on Risto - not at all. But maybe he looks better on an improving team.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
I like the deal from Buff point of view, take a chance on a guy to pair with Eichel or Middelstat, if he meshes and the team improves (They seem to think they will make a jump, not to playoffs but not be a bottom feeder) then they can sign him, if they stink he would be valuable at the deadline and should return at least a 1st or a 2nd and decent prospect in a trade.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was thinking about exactly the same question. I think Stone would want more term, so I was wondering about this comparison:

Wheeler (age 33): 6 x 7M

vs.

Stone (age 27): 7 x 8M

I think you take Stone, but I do wonder if Stone will age as well as I expect Wheeler to.

Even if he doesn't age as well Stone is 6 years younger so his 7 year contract would expire when he is only 2 years older than Wheeler is now. Stone to 34 vs Wheeler to 39.

It would be hard to find cap space for Stone but it could be done. It is only 1 mil more than I have been planning to have to pay Wheeler.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
To be fair, new owner Dundon has his muddy fingerprints all over it, and managed to chase away other promising GMs by virtue of an extreme low ball offer for salary. Don Waddell was far from the 1st choice.

Do you think other execs around the league have given him the nickname Dumdum yet? Dumdum and Waddle, what a pair.

Reactions: Jetlaggedoil

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Wonder if anyone knows if Stone would like to play here? I know some Peggers that prefer playing elsewhere.

Depends, how badly does he want to win? I’m not speaking for him, but the chance to bring a cup home? I’d be all over that.

Also I know the reality of the cap crunch we would be facing. But Stone on Scheifele’s line is drool worthy.

Reactions: Saidin

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Depends, how badly does he want to win? I’m not speaking for him, but the chance to bring a cup home? I’d be all over that.

Also I know the reality of the cap crunch we would be facing. But Stone on Scheifele’s line is drool worthy.

Watched it at the World's a (couple/few) years back. Was amaazzzing!!!

Reactions: Aggie204

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I know, just a pipe dream. And the question was already asked. Wheeler or Stone for 8mx6 years since both are UFA’s next year.
Stone would be good if Wheeler left, but he's no Wheeler. Plus I wouldn't trade any of our other young guys I mentioned to make room for Stone either.

Reactions: Aggie204

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
I've been thinking about that question a bit. Stone is 6 years younger. He scores about the same as Wheeler did at the same age. How much might he score playing with Fefe? And on a PP with Laine? I wouldn't want to sign Wheeler until he is 39, so that is an easy choice if it is just that simple.

Stone might actually be a little more rounded player. Maybe. That 6 years younger is huge though.

I think that if we could do a swap with Sens right now I would do it, somewhat reluctantly. Wheeler would be missed but Scheifele is ready to take over the C. I would feel somewhat guilty sending Wheeler to that mess. A poor way to reward the good soldier but he would have the option of leaving at the end of the season. Then try to extend Stone Jan 1.

That would be one of those tough decisions that need to be made because it is a business.

That 6 years younger is yuge though.

Players come and players go what's best for the team comes first then the fair treatment of players.

Wheeler's last year what a conundrum that is...

It's Wheels age that is red STOP light alarming for me.

Go :jets Go

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That 6 years younger is yuge though.

Players come and players go what's best for the team comes first then the fair treatment of players.

Wheeler's last year what a conundrum that is...

It's Wheels age that is red STOP light alarming for me.

Go :jets Go

Trying to predict which players will have extended shelf lives and which ones will flame out early is like trying to predict the stock market.

Wheeler doesn't punish his body like some, so maybe he lasts longer. OTOH, he relies on speed and that is the first thing to go. Right?

I go back and forth on Wheeler. I usually end up wanting to retain him - just not for too long .... and not for too much either. But that is wishful thinking. He has earned the big payday and a fair bit of term too.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
James van Riemsdyk just signed for 7m. Do you really expect Wheeler to sign for 7m?
Wheeler gets over 8m on the open market. He has averaged 75 points a season for the last 5 seasons. Usually we over rate our players worth but I think people don't realize what Wheeler would get as an UFA.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
James van Riemsdyk just signed for 7m. Do you really expect Wheeler to sign for 7m?
Wheeler gets over 8m on the open market. He has averaged 75 points a season for the last 5 seasons. Usually we over rate our players worth but I think people don't realize what Wheeler would get as an UFA.
JVR, Kane...even Patrick Marleau at 37 years old net a 3 x 6.25M contract with his preceding 3 years production being 151 pts in 246 gp (50 pt pace)....

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Good move for VGK with Wild Bill. Pays him for last year and tells him to do it again - if he can. Still an RFA in another year.
yea but his contract AAV will likely go up dramatically via being closer to UFA and having another stellar season under his belt. Don't think VGK's has cap problems currently, but could lead to some down the road. I am a believer of Wild Bill though so am a bit bias lol.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
yea but his contract AAV will likely go up dramatically via being closer to UFA and having another stellar season under his belt. Don't think VGK's has cap problems currently, but could lead to some down the road. I am a believer of Wild Bill though so am a bit bias lol.

:laugh: I'm a believer in Wild Bill too - to a point. Pre-season I had him on my list of targets to steal from their existing teams so that VGK wouldn't get them. I saw him as a 3C. I still think that is more likely than 1C. Maybe he splits the difference and becomes a decent 2C.

He had a 23.4 sh% last year. That brought his career avg up to 14.6%. It was about 8.5% before, give or take. So we can assume about half the goals right there. Going back to 2012 his best season had been 15 goals in 55 games in the SHL. In 2011 he scored 20 in 38 in an under 20 Swedish league. So really no sign of being such a scorer before.

This is a 'show me' contract, which is probably appropriate for both sides.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd offer Stone 7 x 8m. His production would alleviate the loss of Wheeler which is bound to happen.
He'd do well on a line with Little if Laine is with Scheif.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad