Around the League 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Time for a fresh new thread!

Previous thread is here: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/around-the-league-2017-18.2368323/

Some posts to start us off:

Garth Snow ran that club into the ground as did GMs before him. They made some brutal moves. I'm sure they'll get it right going forward but how do they get rid of that Ladd contract?

You really need a GM that is good at reading the tea leaves. A player of that caliber should never leave the team for nothing. If the NYI had even a hint that he wouldn't re-sign, they should have traded Tavares last season.

And for the Jets, I can see us heading for the same situation with Wheeler. 91 point season going into the last year of your contract... JMO, but pretty sure Wheeler's agent is telling the Jets to let's just see how things go and we don't want to talk contract during the season underway. Talk about after the season.

You'd almost have to think one of Benn, Klingberg or Seguin must be included in the return as Dallas doesn't have the greatest other players to trade for a player of this magnitude especially if he extends.
Faksa, Klingberg, 1st, 2 second rounders ??

None of Faksa, Heiskanen, Lindell or Klingberg (lolol). Ottawa is in a bad position.

My guess based on the info that's out there: Honka, Shore, 1st.

Yes, I'm worried that Wheeler will just play things out this season and then have the Jets over a barrel. I think Chevy and the Jets should offer a healthy long-term deal this summer, and if Wheeler won't sign, they should think seriously about options.

Price will be set by the under bidder. If Vegas makes a strong pitch, it will drive up the cost.

Karlsson himself can prevent a high value trade return, and why would he not.

That would be awful. Remember, if the team really wants him they'll have to up the offer.
What about Vegas, what would they give up?

It most certainly will be awful.
As we heard around the deadline, not Cody Glass.

Yeah, I recall the Katz rumour. That was a strange draft. They would have had to skip over the first 4 taken to get to the first good one. :laugh: Galchenyuk was in there and hasn't been bad - just not the C he was supposed to be.

Theodore, Suzuki and a first maybe there.
Reports say Honka instead of Heiskanen from Dallas, I'd go to Vegas offer if I'm Ottawa.
If it were jets that would be like Niku, Appleton plus a first?

aren't Theodore and Suzuki and closer to Morrissey and Vesalanien

I felt somewhere between them and what I posted, but we have no one that falls there lol.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Market strongly limited by the player, a huge cap hit, and a well documented broken relationship.

The Karlsson trade basically is the Kessel trade, and the return will probably be similar.

Reactions: amethyst

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I really think we should try to get in on the Karlsson sweepstakes. If Stars are supposedly the front runners right now and only offering Honka as a centerpiece prospect, surely we can put together a better offer than that.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I really think we should try to get in on the Karlsson sweepstakes. If Stars are supposedly the front runners right now and only offering Honka as a centerpiece prospect, surely we can put together a better offer than that.
Is Honka with or without Bobby Ryan though

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Apparently Ryan is not part of the negotiations that the Stars are having.

If no Ryan then I am demanding Heiskanen. I think VGK can take on Ryan and beat whatever package DAL can muster up (w/o Ryan). Honka as a main piece hardly moves the needle imo

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Karlsson has a NTC, and has almost certainly vetoed the Jets.

Even if he accepts a trade to the Jets for this season, I'd bet that there's very little chance he would sign long-term with the Jets.

I doubt the Sens will trade him for a rental price, so he'll go somewhere in a sign-and-trade, or to a place where he has already agreed to sign an extension.

I just hope that after Karlsson is traded, we don't have to endure a string of posts castigating the Jets because we "should have" traded for him.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
wait till VGK acquire Ryan+EK65 (13.75M) in salary. Offersheet Wild Bill at 6.5M :sarcasm:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Didn't look at the details of the Taveras contract, other than knowing his cap hit is $11MM per season for 7 years, but his actual salary is structured as:

Year 1, $650k salary, $15.25M sb;
Year 2, $910k salary, $14.99 M sb;
Year 3, $910k salary, $11.09M sb;
Year 4, $910k salary, $8.44M sb;
Years 5-7, $910k salary, $7.04M sb each yr

It's all signing bonuses, which means he gets that money during the next lockout, when that happens.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Market strongly limited by the player, a huge cap hit, and a well documented broken relationship.

The Karlsson trade basically is the Kessel trade, and the return will probably be similar.

I don't know about that. Duchene was in a similiar position with his org just a year ago and Colorado got quite the haul.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Karlsson is on another level as a player compared to Duchene and Kessel. We are talking about a perennial 70ish pt, yearly Norris candidate Defenseman. Whatever trade OTT will make they will lose.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I don't know about that. Duchene was in a similiar position with his org just a year ago and Colorado got quite the haul.

Duchene didn't have any say in where he wanted to go. No trade protection and two years remaining on his contract. Very different situation.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Duchene didn't have any say in where he wanted to go. No trade protection and two years remaining on his contract. Very different situation.

Sure but there are a good 5 teams bidding for Erik plus this looks like it is effectively a sign and trade as the team that gets him will have him for the next 8 years when all is said and done. I don't think they are in as weak a spot as many think.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Sure but there are a good 5 teams bidding for Erik plus this looks like it is effectively a sign and trade as the team that gets him will have him for the next 8 years when all is said and done. I don't think they are in as weak a spot as many think.

I don't think there are.

Kessel got a poor return because Pittsburgh was likely the only team that actually was able to make an offer without Kessel blocking the trade. There was absolutely no bidding war.

With Karlsson, he's rumored to consider an extension with three teams (Dallas, Vegas, TBL). That doesn't mean there's going to be a bidding war. Karlsson is in full control, because he can nix any trade. He (and his agent) would be smart to make sure his future team doesn't lose a ton of value in the trade. It's essentially free agency for him, except it comes one year earlier. In free agency, there's the point when you narrow down your suitors to three teams, and then there's the point when you decide which one is it going to be.

Now with the rumors of Dallas being the frontrunner, I think the most likely scenario that Karlsson has made his decision, and has maybe informed Ottawa that he's not considering signing an extension with any other team at this moment. Now Dallas and Ottawa are talking trade, and if it doesn't go through, the waiting game begins. Either Karlsson blinks first and allows a second team to talk trade-and-sign, or Ottawa blinks first and accepts the offer. This could drag on for a while.

But in no way should Karlsson's agent let this come down to a bidding war.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think there are.

Kessel got a poor return because Pittsburgh was likely the only team that actually was able to make an offer without Kessel blocking the trade. There was absolutely no bidding war.

With Karlsson, he's rumored to consider an extension with three teams (Dallas, Vegas, TBL). That doesn't mean there's going to be a bidding war. Karlsson is in full control, because he can nix any trade. He (and his agent) would be smart to make sure his future team doesn't lose a ton of value in the trade. It's essentially free agency for him, except it comes one year earlier. In free agency, there's the point when you narrow down your suitors to three teams, and then there's the point when you decide which one is it going to be.

Now with the rumors of Dallas being the frontrunner, I think the most likely scenario that Karlsson has made his decision, and has maybe informed Ottawa that he's not considering signing an extension with any other team at this moment. Now Dallas and Ottawa are talking trade, and if it doesn't go through, the waiting game begins. Either Karlsson blinks first and allows a second team to talk trade-and-sign, or Ottawa blinks first and accepts the offer. This could drag on for a while.

But in no way should Karlsson's agent let this come down to a bidding war.

Your discounting the fact that if Ottawa doesn't get a suitable offer that they can elect to hold onto him and deal him as a rental to one of 21 teams at the deadline.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Your discounting the fact that if Ottawa doesn't get a suitable offer that they can elect to hold onto him and deal him as a rental to one of 21 teams at the deadline.

I don't think I'm discounting that. I expect that the return of an offseason Karlsson trade would not be worse than the return of a deadline Karlsson trade so it would still make sense for the Sens to trade him now. It just won't be the "premium" return that would be the result of a bidding war. If Karlsson handles this situation right, there won't be a bidding war.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I will stick by my guns if its Dallas then the price is going to start with Heiskanen +1st +

This is one of the top 2 D men in the world and IMO one of the top 3 talents in the NHL (with Crosby and McDavid)

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I agree. Whatever position Ottawa is in right now, they can't afford to be low balled and short changed on any Erik Karlsson trade. They're trading for futures, but it has to be quality futures. It's not going to be Radek Faksa or Julius Honka.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Even for one year if that's all the supposed return will be... my goodness

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Didn't look at the details of the Taveras contract, other than knowing his cap hit is $11MM per season for 7 years, but his actual salary is structured as:

Year 1, $650k salary, $15.25M sb;
Year 2, $910k salary, $14.99 M sb;
Year 3, $910k salary, $11.09M sb;
Year 4, $910k salary, $8.44M sb;
Years 5-7, $910k salary, $7.04M sb each yr

It's all signing bonuses, which means he gets that money during the next lockout, when that happens.

I think Hedman and Draisaitl have clauses in their contracts too. For the year the CBA expires and next season basically their entire pay switches to signing bonuses. The last lockout hit some guys hard and not that those 3 guys would need to worry but I think we will see more players protect themselves in this way.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The big shoe mentioned some Ottawa I wider is mentioning EK is heading to Tampa. No clue how that works.... but if it comes to fruition it keeps him out of the West.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Oooohhhh

(Yost usually doesn't do the McKenzie/Friedman type insider stuff, but for the last half year or so, he's been tweeting out "rumors" strictly concerning the Senators. I have to imagine that the Sens have a malcontent employee constantly feeding him stuff...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad