Around the League 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Too bad they will still suck

Terry and Kim have the passion but they just can’t seem to get it right can they. When Terry purchased that spring he got kind of zany and tried to buy a team and he signed some very goofy contracts and pissed off all the owners by overpaying. The team struggled so at one point they sold off older talent and went for the rebuild which was the right idea IMO. That lead them to bottom out but even then they cut that short by selling off assets to rebuild and getting guys like ROR, EK9 etc etc but the short cut flopped and they still sucked.

What is the actual plan now? They finally won the lottery and one would think they possibly could build around a young core of Eichel, Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Reinhart, Risto, and maybe Nylander.......but they have done such a piss poor job of sourounding these guys with depth talent. This entire thing feels really disjointed.

Who knows maybe Botterill can build something if Terry and Kim can keep out of the way. Skinner was a nice add but do they need a talented rental right now or one more high draft pick?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
curious if this is a sign that Carolina's awful or this is the cap reality

Skinner is on the final year of his contract and then becomes a UFA. Maybe Carolina saw the writing on the wall and knew there was no way they were going to re-sign him, so they traded him for whatever they could before he walked.

Of note: this is exactly where the Jets find themselves with Wheeler, as far as term left and becoming a UFA. The Jets may end up doing the same and trading Wheeler for what they can. Still better to get some assets in return than nothing.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's a very low return for Jeff Skinner. Carolina got balled hard.

Certainly looks that way at first glance - but Cliff Pu is a pretty promising looking prospect, 6 years younger than Skinner. If Skinner was going UFA Canes are better off with the futures.

Is Buffalo going to extend Skinner? If so will the salary be worth it? They have no use for a rental. They aren't going anywhere this year anyway. If they just rent Skinner all he gives them is a weaker draft next spring.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Stone and the Sens avoid arbitration with a one year 7.3 million deal. Stone is on his way out of town by the deadline, no way they lose him for Nothing as a UFA.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Skinner is on the final year of his contract and then becomes a UFA. Maybe Carolina saw the writing on the wall and knew there was no way they were going to re-sign him, so they traded him for whatever they could before he walked.

Of note: this is exactly where the Jets find themselves with Wheeler, as far as term left and becoming a UFA. The Jets may end up doing the same and trading Wheeler for what they can. Still better to get some assets in return than nothing.

A key difference between the Jets and Carolina in this respect is that the Jets are cup contenders.

How often do teams in our position trade away high value assets even if they're on the verge of being a UFA (this is a genuine question by the way)?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I can't see Wheeler walking away from a team that made him a captain. After years of patiently waiting for a solid roster why would he walk away now? We're contenders, he will stay just like Little did. He may take a bit less here, but lets not forget that he will be 33 to start next season. I don't think he's worth 7 plus million at that age. Of course it depends on the term. I'm hoping he stays to try to win that cup and takes a tad less.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I wonder how Ottawa fans could be optimistic when everything seems to be going wrong.

I think I'd feel bad if I were a GM sending a roster player to Ottawa with the mess that they're in.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
The Jets may end up doing the same and trading Wheeler for what they can. Still better to get some assets in return than nothing.

No, they won't. I would be shocked, and angered. Jets are competing for the cup, the 'Canes aren't even close. You don't trade Blake Wheeler, your team captain, when you have a shot at the cup.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
No, they won't. I would be shocked, and angered. Jets are competing for the cup, the 'Canes aren't even close. You don't trade Blake Wheeler, your team captain, when you have a shot at the cup.

I can't see Wheeler walking away from a team that made him a captain. After years of patiently waiting for a solid roster why would he walk away now? We're contenders, he will stay just like Little did. He may take a bit less here, but lets not forget that he will be 33 to start next season. I don't think he's worth 7 plus million at that age. Of course it depends on the term. I'm hoping he stays to try to win that cup and takes a tad less.

I'm not saying they would trade him today ( not at all.. he's in this for this season to win ), but if we get late into next season and we are out of the playoffs say, the Jets' had better be having those discussions with Wheeler. And when it comes to players going into UFA, it's really not up to the team if the player stays or not. That's why the players have this in the CBA, so they get to make the choice what they do. The team can make their best offer, but it's still up to the player.

I have said before, it's all about asset management... players of Skinner or Wheeler's skills should never be allowed to walk.

And as far as the captain thing... I thought Ladd was going to be a Jet for the long haul as well.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't think there is any chance of him signing for < 7 mil. OK, maybe if he has a really poor year this season. I don't expect that.

With the way prices are escalating at the top, 4x7.5 might be the team friendliest we can hope for. Maybe, just maybe, he would accept the same $$$ over 5 years, 5x6. With some front loading and weakened trade protection, the last year or two might then be moveable if necessary.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I don't think there is any chance of him signing for < 7 mil. OK, maybe if he has a really poor year this season. I don't expect that.

With the way prices are escalating at the top, 4x7.5 might be the team friendliest we can hope for. Maybe, just maybe, he would accept the same $$$ over 5 years, 5x6. With some front loading and weakened trade protection, the last year or two might then be moveable if necessary.

If Wheeler has another 90+ point season I can't see how the Jets can afford him, unless he really wants to stay and take a discount. 32 years old, 90 point season, you know his agent gonna want him to play the free market and get that last big deal..

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm not saying they would trade him today ( not at all.. he's in this for this season to win ), but if we get late into next season and we are out of the playoffs say, the Jets' had better be having those discussions with Wheeler.

Wheeler is a UFA after this coming season, it's this coming season or bust. Would 100% use him as our own rental if we had no intention of re-signing him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Wheeler has another 90+ point season I can't see how the Jets can afford him, unless he really wants to stay and take a discount. 32 years old, 90 point season, you know his agent gonna want him to play the free market and get that last big deal..

Hard to say how Wheeler - and his agent - may react to the opportunity. I'm assuming that last year will be his peak production and he will drop back a bit, say 85(ish) pts. But on the PP, with Fefe and Laine, who knows? He may even exceed 90.

I'm assuming he likes being captain. He certainly appears to. Also assuming he wants the Cup. Therefore he accepts 4-5 years and 30 mil total. He would still have the chance of another contract after that if he continues to play well, even if it is less well than now.

After another good year and with the way top salaries are rising, I'm pretty sure he could get 6x7.5+ in the UFA market. So that is already 'team friendly'. There is a limit to how much we can hope he will leave on the table.

If the Jets can't, or won't extend him, then I would prefer to trade him now - hard as that may be to do going into a year of contending. I'm assuming the return would be pretty good. I really hate the idea of losing him for nothing next July 1.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Would you rather give Wheeler a 6x7.5 contract or Mark Stone a 6x7.5 contract next year?

I've been thinking about that question a bit. Stone is 6 years younger. He scores about the same as Wheeler did at the same age. How much might he score playing with Fefe? And on a PP with Laine? I wouldn't want to sign Wheeler until he is 39, so that is an easy choice if it is just that simple.

Stone might actually be a little more rounded player. Maybe. That 6 years younger is huge though.

I think that if we could do a swap with Sens right now I would do it, somewhat reluctantly. Wheeler would be missed but Scheifele is ready to take over the C. I would feel somewhat guilty sending Wheeler to that mess. A poor way to reward the good soldier but he would have the option of leaving at the end of the season. Then try to extend Stone Jan 1.

That would be one of those tough decisions that need to be made because it is a business.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Would you rather give Wheeler a 6x7.5 contract or Mark Stone a 6x7.5 contract next year?

If they both were 1 year rentals, I would probably still stick with Wheeler. But, if you knew you could sign them both long term for the same hit as you ask, I would be tempted to go with Stone.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I've been thinking about that question a bit. Stone is 6 years younger. He scores about the same as Wheeler did at the same age. How much might he score playing with Fefe? And on a PP with Laine? I wouldn't want to sign Wheeler until he is 39, so that is an easy choice if it is just that simple.

Stone might actually be a little more rounded player. Maybe. That 6 years younger is huge though.

I think that if we could do a swap with Sens right now I would do it, somewhat reluctantly. Wheeler would be missed but Scheifele is ready to take over the C. I would feel somewhat guilty sending Wheeler to that mess. A poor way to reward the good soldier but he would have the option of leaving at the end of the season. Then try to extend Stone Jan 1.

That would be one of those tough decisions that need to be made because it is a business.

There is some merit to this, but if we're trading Wheeler, I would prefer assets guaranteed for a longer term and just go after Stone if he's still a UFA. Also, Ottawa was a good team two years ago and maybe with The Drama removed from the equation, they turn things around this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad