Around the League 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I thought it was very interesting that NYI signed Brock Nelson to just a 1-year deal, prior to arbitration. His production has been declining, so this seems like a "show me (Lou)" contract.

He’ll be one of trade centre’s big names for their trade deadline show. Book it!!!!

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
What's everyone's thoughts on the Wild?
I see they have 1.7 mill left of cap space.
I look at that roster and kinda shake my head. They're a cap team but they seem medicore for a cap team.
Glad I'm not a Wild fan.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I look at that roster and kinda shake my head. They're a cap team but they seem medicore for a cap team.
Glad I'm not a Wild fan.
The biggest need I can think of is for a true superstar at F. You could easily argue that they have a complete top 6 at F, a GREAT top pairing and a second pairing at D, an above-average starter in net and depth at important positions, but still can't get it done. I can't think of much else that is lacking on the ice.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Glad I'm not a Wild fan.

They are the poster child for why GM's need to be protected from their own stupidity with contract length limits. I laughed when the Parise/Suter signings were announced, and I laugh to this day.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The biggest need I can think of is for a true superstar at F. You could easily argue that they have a complete top 6 at F, a GREAT top pairing and a second pairing at D, an above-average starter in net and depth at important positions, but still can't get it done. I can't think of much else that is lacking on the ice.

Each year they're good enough to get into the playoffs, but as you said they don't have enough top-end talent, especially at forward. Nashville had a similar problem although their defence is even more potent than Minnesota's. I'm pretty sure the Wild won't win any cups with this group.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Each year they're good enough to get into the playoffs, but as you said they don't have enough top-end talent, especially at forward. Nashville had a similar problem although their defence is even more potent than Minnesota's. I'm pretty sure the Wild won't win any cups with this group.

That feels like a shitty spot to be in where you are a playoff team but not a contender. Before last season I would have been fine with it but once you get a taste of truly contending then the primary reason for the team feels like it’s either being a contender or rebuilding/reloading to be a contender.

Being a contender is awesome and it was worth the pain. We may not win a cup and that will suck but we built a good enough team to reach the summit hockey gods willing.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
FA arbitration count so far:

44 have filed, and with just 11 hearings to go, only Winnipeg defenceman Jacob Trouba and Calgary defenceman Brett Kulak made it to their hearing.
In each case, the arbitrator went right down the middle between the player ask and team offer.

Last edited:

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I mean, you know Matthews will be good, but dropping 10 million on a sub 70 point player...

Wouldn't want Laine taking 10 right now. McDavid at least had the trophy sweep before cashing in.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I mean, you know Matthews will be good, but dropping 10 million on a sub 70 point player...

Wouldn't want Laine taking 10 right now. McDavid at least had the trophy sweep before cashing in.

Matthews has outperformed Tavares by a fair margin comparing their D+1 & D+2 seasons. I think AM should get more than Eichel, less than McDavid. Split the difference and it is 11.25.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
"You need a guy like Tom Wilson to win" is this year's flavor du jour. Previously: "Defense doesn't matter" (2017), "Speed and three scoring lines" (2016), "A natural leader like Toews and an elite #1D" (2015), "Play big and physical" (2014).

Crazy, it's almost like if you play together as a team and have a competent strategy/identity, there are multiple paths to victory... :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad