Around the League 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I can understand the Henrique extension due to the situation Anaheim is in with regards to their contention and Kesler's health, but that Lindholm deal sure looks excessive. I reckon they are banking on a huge outburst from him, considering that the Flames just committed almost 30M to a guy who has played zero seconds with the team.
40ish pt player that can play C or RW, still pretty young, i think it's a fair deal now. his last few years aren't far off Henriques from a points standpoint and has more room for improvement.

Bryan Little's deal is smack down in the middle of those 2 players

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Surprised to not see chatter in here or the main boards over Fleury’s extension with Vegas. $7 mill per season seems an awful lot for a guy who’s sure to regress to a league average goalie. Sure he was the main reason they had the season they did but that just seems crazy to me. Am I the only one who thought the flower just had a crazy hot streak and when he imploded vs. Washington that was him coming back down to earth and his norm?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Surprised to not see chatter in here or the main boards over Fleury’s extension with Vegas. $7 mill per season seems an awful lot for a guy who’s sure to regress to a league average goalie. Sure he was the main reason they had the season they did but that just seems crazy to me. Am I the only one who thought the flower just had a crazy hot streak and when he imploded vs. Washington that was him coming back down to earth and his norm?
Oh yeah it's a terrible deal - it doesn't even kick in until 2019-20 when Fleury turns 35 (but he doesn't turn 35 until November 2019 so at least it doesn't count as a 35-plus contract). I don't foresee any cap issues for Vegas until after that deal has expired anyway, so it likely doesn't matter.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Nah I'd say he's above average. Not sure he's $7m at this point in his career though.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
It's not a good deal but Vegas can afford it so it's not a big deal either. They want him as their established face of the franchise. The city ADORES him. The team loves him.

Sure, why not. Pay the man. Make him very happy. Goaltending market will be pretty thin over the next 2 seasons as well. It's only for 3 years and I doubt they'll get a much better option over the next 2 years anyway.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Myers' contract expires this year. You can't trade him when he no longer belongs to you.

Kadri is far from being one of my favourite players but the value doing it now is pretty good. We get a 2C, under contract for 4 years at 4.5. We give up a Dman who is a pending UFA and a 3LW who is older and almost as expensive as the C we get. We have to move those players soon anyway for cap reasons. We would need to either trade Kadri in a year or move someone else in order to keep him. I don't think he would be hard to move. We would get a good return. If he has been a good enough fit we will find a way to keep him.

Kadri is a dirty POS. I'll pass

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Kadri is a dirty POS. I'll pass

Definitely not one of my favourite players but I don't know him, or his game well enough to make that judgement. Where would you place him on the POS scale? Wouldn't hurt a fly is 0, Marchand is 9.7. I reserve 10 for the faint possibility that there could be someone worse than Marchand come along. :laugh:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Definitely not one of my favourite players but I don't know him, or his game well enough to make that judgement. Where would you place him on the POS scale? Wouldn't hurt a fly is 0, Marchand is 9.7. I reserve 10 for the faint possibility that there could be someone worse than Marchand come along. :laugh:

He'll have two or three incidents per season where he's done something controversial. Most games he's just fine and he's the exact type of player this team could use (a 2C), but probably can't afford.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Detroit has 6.7 million of cap space. They need to sign Larkin and a depth defenseman to fill the roster. This is after bridging Mantha, by the way.

If there is ever an example of why you don't keep all your depth, Detroit's quite a good one.

Reactions: HannuJ

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He'll have two or three incidents per season where he's done something controversial. Most games he's just fine and he's the exact type of player this team could use (a 2C), but probably can't afford.

Its mostly the controversial things that I see. Haven't paid enough attention to have a clear picture. I know he has crossed the line more than once but just how bad is he really? Probably a little beyond what I would like but hasn't he been keeping his nose clean recently?

Trouba plays with an edge and has earned a suspension but I wouldn't characterize him as a dirty player. Lowry plays a hard, physical game. He was suspended once too but I don't think of him as dirty either.

Hmmmmm - just searched a little of his history. Think I'll join LadyJet in passing on him. Sounds like a cross between the worst of Brendan Lemieux and Evander Kane.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Detroit has 6.7 million of cap space. They need to sign Larkin and a depth defenseman to fill the roster. This is after bridging Mantha, by the way.

If there is ever an example of why you don't keep all your depth, Detroit's quite a good one.
Detroit's problem is paying old guys big money on long contracts.

Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Detroit's problem has nothing to do with 'keeping all their depth'. Their problem is big $$$, long term contracts to aged out or just plain bad players:
Zetterberg - 6.083 - 3 more years
Nielsen - 5.25 - 4 more years
Abdelkader - 4.25 - 5 more years
Franzen - 4 - 2 more years
Helm - 3.85 - 3 more years
Dekeyser - 4 - 4 more years
Kronwall - 4.75 - 1 year remaining
Ericsson - 4.25 - 2 more years
Daley - 3.166 - 2 more years

Good grief! That's 39.55 mil total. Plus 1.833 in buyout $.
All of those players should either be out of the league altogether or making <2 mil. More than half this year's cap allocated to that dreck.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Detroit's problem has nothing to do with 'keeping all their depth'. Their problem is big $$$, long term contracts to aged out or just plain bad players:
Zetterberg - 6.083 - 3 more years
Nielsen - 5.25 - 4 more years
Abdelkader - 4.25 - 5 more years
Franzen - 4 - 2 more years
Helm - 3.85 - 3 more years
Dekeyser - 4 - 4 more years
Kronwall - 4.75 - 1 year remaining
Ericsson - 4.25 - 2 more years
Daley - 3.166 - 2 more years

Good grief! That's 39.55 mil total. Plus 1.833 in buyout $.
All of those players should either be out of the league altogether or making <2 mil. More than half this year's cap allocated to that dreck.
seems like it was just yesterday that the Wings had all these up and coming young players playing in the minors.

still waiting for Gustav to have that breakout season. lol

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
seems like it was just yesterday that the Wings had all these up and coming young players playing in the minors.

still waiting for Gustav to have that breakout season. lol

:laugh: He's going into his 29 YO season. I think he is what he is.

I didn't list him because he isn't old and he isn't bad - but he is probably a little overpaid too.

Vanek got a 50% raise over last year and a full NTC, so they can't even flip him at the TD. WTF?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Its mostly the controversial things that I see. Haven't paid enough attention to have a clear picture. I know he has crossed the line more than once but just how bad is he really? Probably a little beyond what I would like but hasn't he been keeping his nose clean recently?

Trouba plays with an edge and has earned a suspension but I wouldn't characterize him as a dirty player. Lowry plays a hard, physical game. He was suspended once too but I don't think of him as dirty either.

Hmmmmm - just searched a little of his history. Think I'll join LadyJet in passing on him. Sounds like a cross between the worst of Brendan Lemieux and Evander Kane.

You have to discount a bit of his reputation because of the logo he wears on his jersey. He's been better as he's gotten older at that kind of thing.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You have to discount a bit of his reputation because of the logo he wears on his jersey. He's been better as he's gotten older at that kind of thing.

He had another hearing as recently as this April. N0 suspension but another questionable hit. I don't see how his logo hurts him.

I usually default to giving people another chance, but Kadri's rap sheet is pretty extensive. I'd just as soon lets Leafs keep him.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
He had another hearing as recently as this April. N0 suspension but another questionable hit. I don't see how his logo hurts him.

I usually default to giving people another chance, but Kadri's rap sheet is pretty extensive. I'd just as soon lets Leafs keep him.

I said he's better, not perfect. His logo hurts his reputation as it does with lots of Leafs players. He's no goon, but I'm not a fan of his diving and I did forget about his recent playoff suspension.

He'd be a good fit in the lineup but he's unaffordable right now. I don't like turning down good talent if they aren't an off ice distraction.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I said he's better, not perfect. His logo hurts his reputation as it does with lots of Leafs players. He's no goon, but I'm not a fan of his diving and I did forget about his recent playoff suspension.

He'd be a good fit in the lineup but he's unaffordable right now. I don't like turning down good talent if they aren't an off ice distraction.

He's a dirty player. I have no idea what you are talking about with his logo. All that means is that there is more press coverage. Most of it telling the world how wonderful the Leafs are.

Dirty players are a distraction both on and off the ice - but mostly, they are just dirty players. I don't like dirty players regardless of which team they play for.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
He's a dirty player. I have no idea what you are talking about with his logo. All that means is that there is more press coverage. Most of it telling the world how wonderful the Leafs are.

Dirty players are a distraction both on and off the ice - but mostly, they are just dirty players. I don't like dirty players regardless of which team they play for.

He's a bit dirtier than I remembered, I'll admit. I hadn't paid as much attention to the Leafs the last couple of years. Leafs players do get extra scrutiny by fans of other teams though. Read any main board thread on this site.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He's a bit dirtier than I remembered, I'll admit. I hadn't paid as much attention to the Leafs the last couple of years. Leafs players do get extra scrutiny by fans of other teams though. Read any main board thread on this site.

OK, that I get. Natural reaction to the excessive attention they get from the so called 'national' media. Not sure why USA fans would do that. Bandwagon effect?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
OK, that I get. Natural reaction to the excessive attention they get from the so called 'national' media. Not sure why USA fans would do that. Bandwagon effect?

I'd say that US based fans on this site act a bit more like Canadian fans than other US fans that might be a bit more casual. The Northeast US teams especially would. The Leafs are fun to hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->