Around the League 2018-19 v7

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Even if it was a bad trade for Muzzin, you'd never hear it from the Toronto media.
They can probably flip Gardiner if they really want and recoup assets.

At the end of the day their goal since the off-season was to find a replacement for Gardiner. Now they have and it cost them no actual NHL players.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Lol I like how the entire Sportsnet frontpage is just Muzzin, Muzzin, Muzzin. Seriously, what the fuss...

muzzin.png

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They can probably flip Gardiner if they really want and recoup assets.

At the end of the day their goal since the off-season was to find a replacement for Gardiner. Now they have and it cost them no actual NHL players.
What purpose would that serve them?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hard not to really like the move for the Leafs given where they are. They fixed one of their only holes.

Just goes to show you dont need to shoot yourself in the face to acquire a #3 D

Reactions: Mez

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Hard not to really like the move for the Leafs given where they are. They fixed one of their only holes.

We sawed both our feet off for #7's tho

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Does Muzzin fill a hole for them? I mean it’s not like they were lacking offence from the backend, especially from lefties, with Rielly, Gardiner, and Dermott.

They’re a team that needs a Larsson or Tanev type. Having a soon-to-be 38 year old Roy Hainsey as your best shutdown defenceman doesn’t really inspire confidence come playoff time.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Watching the Jets game yesterday, they shouldn’t pay Laine anywhere near 10 mill per season if that’s his ask.

Also, Connor is the better all around player between him and Laine.

Laine is young and like a lot of young players he has a lot to work on.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Watching the Jets game yesterday, they shouldn’t pay Laine anywhere near 10 mill per season if that’s his ask.

Also, Connor is the better all around player between him and Laine.

Laine is young and like a lot of young players he has a lot to work on.
I only saw the Ot but they said he had a very rough night. Not sure what all happened.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Bob McKenzie saying the Matthews contract will likely be $11M for 5/6 years or $13M for 7/8 years.

A $13M contract would leave them with $10M to sign Marner and eight other players.

This offseason is going to be fun.

Reactions: LaGu

North

Jun 25, 2009
Bob McKenzie saying the Matthews contract will likely be $11M for 5/6 years or $13M for 7/8 years.

A $13M contract would leave them with $10M to sign Marner and eight other players.

Ahahahahahaha.

Matthews making more than McDavid would be hilarious.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

North

Jun 25, 2009
I only saw the Ot but they said he had a very rough night. Not sure what all happened.

It was really basically a continuation of his recent struggles.

His timing is off goal scoring wise and therefore he tries to line up the perfect shot and that gives the other team ample time to take the puck away.

He’s lost defensively. Board battles aren’t great.

Right now he’s a player with an elite shot but not much else.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

I mean with the way the media has been hyping him up the past couple of years I don't see why he wouldn't ask for that much money. Would be hilarious if he ended up earning more than McDavid. The guy is not even top10 in PPG, he's 12th, just 0.01 PPG above Draisaitl and behind his teammate Marner and quite far behind the top guys Kucherov, McDavid and Rantanen.

Honestly Matthews has to be one of the most overrated players in relation to what said player has actually performed. Only 8 points in his last 10 games and in those 10 games he was held off the scoresheet 5 times, with prior to the Caps game was pointless in 3 straight games and -6. Actually he hasn't been a plus player in his last 8 games and in his last 13 games he has only been positive once. As a whole he is +/- 0 on a team with a +34 goal differential.

Truth is he is a lot closer to Drai in skill level than McDavid. Ironically Drai is +3 on a team with -19 goal differential and has back-to-back 70+ point seasons (Matthews has never even hit 70) and will most likely outscore him once again this year :nod:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I mean with the way the media has been hyping him up the past couple of years I don't see why he wouldn't ask for that much money. Would be hilarious if he ended up earning more than McDavid. The guy is not even top10 in PPG, he's 12th, just 0.01 PPG above Draisaitl and behind his teammate Marner and quite far behind the top guys Kucherov, McDavid and Rantanen.

Honestly Matthews has to be one of the most overrated players in relation to what said player has actually performed. Only 8 points in his last 10 games and in those 10 games he was held off the scoresheet 5 times, with prior to the Caps game was pointless in 3 straight games and -6. Actually he hasn't been a plus player in his last 8 games and in his last 13 games he has only been positive once. As a whole he is +/- 0 on a team with a +34 goal differential.

Truth is he is a lot closer to Drai in skill level than McDavid. Ironically Drai is +3 on a team with -19 goal differential and has back-to-back 70+ point seasons (Matthews has never even hit 70) and will most likely outscore him once again this year :nod:
He's generational! I swear!

Reactions: Oilhawks and Zaddy

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
I hope Matthews gets 13M/season, I would hate for us to be the only team who has overpaid guys on our roster.

Flames vs Caps Friday night, a SCF preview?

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton

So I made a thread on the main boards based on this post if anyone is interested. Toronto fans are expecting some sweet-heart deals from Matthews and Marner...

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
Ahahahahahaha.

Matthews making more than McDavid would be hilarious.
Absolutely insane. No way the Leafs go for that term with the injury history and having to sign Marner. Paying Matthews more than McDavid is something chia would do. I think paying him >10mil per is awful. Kid dislocated his shoulder square dancing in his own crease.

Marner is worth more.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Absolutely insane. No way the Leafs go for that term with the injury history and having to sign Marner. Paying Matthews more than McDavid is something chia would do. I think paying him >10mil per is awful. Kid dislocated his shoulder square dancing in his own crease.

Marner is worth more.

An Arizona offer-sheet for Matthews may be win-win for everyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad