Around the League 2018-19 V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I have to imagine Nyquist is likely gone. Meier should get a substantial raise, LaBanc's next contract should be interesting as well. Pavelski and Jumbo should also be interesting in wondering what they're willing to structure to likely stay.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
With Karlsson signing I’m really hoping the devils could target Labanc. I think he would be a great fit for the devils. Might even be able to offer sheet him and only loose second round pics. He’s the perfect player to offer sheet.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
They still have plenty of room but they have a ton of guys to sign. Assuming Karlsson gets ~$10 mill/year, they have ~$15 million to sign a bunch of guys including Labanc, Donskoi, Pavelski, Meier, THornton, Nyquist and J. Ryan

Labanc and Meier are the obvious priorities. From there, I'd assume they'd want to keep Nyquist for scoring depth, but that contract seems like it'll be tricky.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with their old-timers. Thornton seems to drive the bus there; if he wants a one-year deal at a reasonable AAV, I'm sure they'll oblige. Pavelski might be a different story, as I could see him seeking a multi-year deal at an AAV that may be higher than San Jose is able to match.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Labanc and Meier are the obvious priorities. From there, I'd assume they'd want to keep Nyquist for scoring depth, but that contract seems like it'll be tricky.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with their old-timers. Thornton seems to drive the bus there; if he wants a one-year deal at a reasonable AAV, I'm sure they'll oblige. Pavelski might be a different story, as I could see him seeking a multi-year deal at an AAV that may be higher than San Jose is able to match.

I think that Thornton / Pavelski may be priorities if only because they are both far more likely to take hometown discounts, yeah? Nyquist is gone for sure. As is Donskoi (a guy I'd really like to add).

Meier would be the absolute dream for me, but I don't think that is going to happen. I could see Labanc being the odd man out there though. Things just got a whole lot more interesting with San Jose.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Boooooooooooooooring. Every team is going to be fighting over scraps at this rate.

I'm okay with that. My preference was always to go the trade route anyway. Free agents don't exactly love us as a destination without some overpaying. I'll stick to the middle tier free agents like a Donskoi, maybe an Anton Stralman type on a short term reasonable AAV for the back end, and target trades with teams to weaponize the cap space fully.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I'm okay with that. My preference was always to go the trade route anyway. Free agents don't exactly love us as a destination without some overpaying. I'll stick to the middle tier free agents like a Donskoi, maybe an Anton Stralman type on a short term reasonable AAV for the back end, and target trades with teams to weaponize the cap space fully.
I wanted one free agent signing and one trade to fill the holes of top 4 defenseman and top 6 forward. We probably don't have the assets to get both from trades, but who knows.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
This is how it is every year.

Side note, 11+ a year for Karlsson for 8 years will be horrifying for the Sharks in less than 5 years.
Agree. I am disappointed EK did not sign with either the Flyers or Rangers.

This season is another example of why people say free agency is not a strategy to build a team.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think that Thornton / Pavelski may be priorities if only because they are both far more likely to take hometown discounts, yeah? Nyquist is gone for sure. As is Donskoi (a guy I'd really like to add).

Meier would be the absolute dream for me, but I don't think that is going to happen. I could see Labanc being the odd man out there though. Things just got a whole lot more interesting with San Jose.

If one of Meier/Labanc get squeezed while Thornton/Pavelski stay, then Doug Wilson really has gone crazy. That would be horrendous asset management.

Meier is an absolute dream, but that's all he is. There is no shot whatsoever we're able to land him for anything realistic.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
This is how it is every year.

Side note, 11+ a year for Karlsson for 8 years will be horrifying for the Sharks in less than 5 years.

LOL that didn't take long. you want talent? you have to spend and give the term. they will be fine having him great for 5 years and being bad for 3 years. thats the life of an NHL contract. maybe one day you guys will understand that you can't have all young kids on your roster. you can't have talent taking team discounts for low hits. just doesn't work that way

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
LOL that didn't take long. you want talent? you have to spend and give the term. they will be fine having him great for 5 years and being bad for 3 years. thats the life of an NHL contract. maybe one day you guys will understand that you can't have all young kids on your roster. you can't have talent taking team discounts for low hits. just doesn't work that way

Please, tell me more. I realize most deals unless they're buying UFA years are bad. Halls will be bad. I get it.

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
Sharks only have one first round and one second round pick over the next three years. They'll be looking for some picks this summer I would imagine.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
You were expecting different ?
Well, yeah. All the talking heads were saying that this is the best free agent class in years, certainly better than last year's, so I was excited to see who we'd get. But so far, all of the biggest names have been re-signed, and even Hagelin- a mid-tier target at best- has been re-signed.

It gives me hope for Hall, but that seems to be the only potential guy that every "expert" thinks is going to leave, probably because it's us and not one of the other 30 teams.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Please, tell me more. I realize most deals unless they're buying UFA years are bad. Halls will be bad. I get it.

thats exactly it. i'm fine giving hall a 8 year and whatever 10 million a year. even if he sucks going into year 5 of the deal. the good outweighs the bad and there will always be ways to get rid of the contract. its amazing that all these teams i hear on here are "in cap hell or going to be in cap hell" in x amount of years? what happens to them?

Reactions: TheDuke93

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Well, yeah. All the talking heads were saying that this is the best free agent class in years, certainly better than last year's.

While it's the best free agent class in a while, the caveat that's always there is that they actually have to reach the open market. In recent years, that tends to not happen. Tavares is obviously the exception.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
thats exactly it. i'm fine giving hall a 8 year and whatever 10 million a year. even if he sucks going into year 5 of the deal. the good outweighs the bad and there will always be ways to get rid of the contract. its amazing that all these teams i hear on here are "in cap hell or going to be in cap hell" in x amount of years? what happens to them?

The only time I've ever seen it REALLY affect a club was Chicago having to make weird moves.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The only time I've ever seen it REALLY affect a club was Chicago having to make weird moves.

the problem with chicago is they should've traded either kane or towes at their peak value before they got that massive contract. good luck selling the fan base on that after them winning 3 cups for you but that would've been the right move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad