Around the League 2018-19: Part II

Discussion in 'Winnipeg Jets' started by YWGinYYZ, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YWGinYYZ

YWGinYYZ RIP Fugu

Last thread is here: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/around-the-league-2018-19.2513371/

Some posts from the previous thread to get us started:

snowkiddin likes this.
  2. None

None Registered User

Significant things Chiarelli has done:

Jun. 26 - 2015 1st and 2nd rnd picks to NYI for Griffin Reinhart (Thanks for Kyle Connor)
    Jun. 27 - 2015 2nd, 3rd, and 7th to NYR for Cam Talbot and a 2015 7th
    Sep. 19 - Signed Oscar Klefbom to a 7 year extension worth 29.169m (4.167 AAV)

Feb. 27 - Justin Schultz to the Pittsburgh for a 2016 3rd
    Jun. 29 - Taylor Hall to New Jersey for Adam Larsson
    Jul. 1 - Signed Milan Lucic to a 7 year contract worth 42m (6 AAV)
    Oct. 7 - Nail Yakupov to St Louis for Zach Pochiro and a conditional 3rd

Jun. 22 - Jordan Eberle to NYI for Ryan Strome
    Jun. 23 - Signed Kris Russell to a 4 year contract worth 16m (4 AAV)
    Jul. 5 - Signed Connor McDavid to an 8 year 100m extension (12.5 AAV)
    Aug. 16 - Signed Leon Draisaitl to an 8 year 68m extension (8.5 AAV)

The only significant trade that he came out ahead on is the Talbot trade in my opinion. I didn't bother checking the draft picks and what became of those, I know the Oilers haven't done very well outside of the first.

How do you fix the Oilers? Trade a big asset like Draisaitl for smaller parts to fill the roster out more? Do you even trust Chiarelli to be able to make a trade like that after the Reinhart, Hall, and Eberle trades?

3. Daximus

Daximus Aces Charles

Operator
    I think you can probably even lump in the Schultz trade as not that great. Under McClellon I think he may have flourished a bit more. They have some great young players in Yamamoto, Bouchard, McLeod, Puljujarvi, Bear, Safin, Rasanen, Brind'Amour, Skinner and Rodrigue. They just have to fire Chiarelli, keep McClellon and get someone that won't run their team into the ground.

4. None

None Registered User

Yeah, I just listed trades and signings that were significant in a good or bad way, the Schultz trade was bad regardless of any defensive woes he might have had at that point.

I think part of the problem is the timeline for some of those players, that team can't be stuck in development hell with a player like McDavid on their roster. By the time some of those players will be hitting their stride in the NHL they'll have likely burned through 3-4 years of McDavid's contract.

Take Hellebuyck's development path as an example for Skinner, it took Hellebuyck around 4-5 seasons post-draft to become a top starter in the NHL. Goalies are a crapshoot as well, so it's possible that he ends up more along the career trajectory of Comrie.
    And maybe McLeod has a path to the NHL like Brandon Saad, but it's more likely that he takes a few extra years like Lowry or Copp who took 3-4 seasons post-draft to get to where they were better than your average bottom 6 players.

The timelines for the examples might be a season or two off, they were just off the top of my head, I think I might've underestimated the length of time for Copp and Lowry.

They're also in a bad position cap-wise and for whatever stupid reason Lucic was given a no move clause.

5. Gm0ney

Gm0ney Unicorns salient

The reign of Chiarelli in Edmonton has been a disaster. The Reinhart trade was absolutely brutal at the time and it's about the worst-case-scenario in hindsight. Same goes for Hall-for-Larson. Just unfathomable how that happens. Worse because it was to clear room to sign Lucic to that ****-awful deal. The whole league is going skill and speed and these idiots trade away elite-level skill and speed to sign Lucic? For ****'s sake. :shakehead Downgrading Eberle to Strome was another bad move but not on the "this will be on the worst trade list for 100 years" level of those other two. The Klefbom signing is the only good thing Chia's done. I suppose locking up McDavid to play another 8 years in hockey hell should get a nod too. (Edit: I guess Talbot's also a positive...this brings Chia's score up to an F- from F--).

Hobby Bull and YWGinYYZ like this.
  6. littlerocketboy

littlerocketboy Formally Ruffus

There must be some owner shenanigans in the background this last decade. No team can mess up this bad continually.

Perhaps oilers need a new mascot? An evil pagan type god/mascot that would sacrifice goats and small woodland creatures. Imagine Gritty wearing a Leather loin cloth with knife clenched in teeth. totally rid the team of bad karma.

7. Laine Fan

Laine Fan Still nobody important

Hmm, are people writing off the Oilers this year because they have lost their first two games? I think we have some experience with that situation.

Hobby Bull likes this.
  8. YWGinYYZ

YWGinYYZ RIP Fugu

The Oilers suck. They're horribly constructed, with massive gaps in their lineup. Chia has set them back many years with his lopsided trades, and will waste a good chunk of McDavid's best years because of it.

Why do you think they're being underrated?

9. Laine Fan

Laine Fan Still nobody important

They may be "rated" just right for all I know. But games are played on the ice, not on paper. Sometimes teams can surprise and be better than expected. Just like teams can be worse than expected. I'm just not prepared to banish the Oilers to this year's scrap heap based on early returns. This falls into the jinx category for me. As in, if I predict a certain outcome, there is a good likelihood that the opposite will happen. Now, you'll have to excuse me, I need to go find some wood to touch and I'm not sure this cheap Walmart desk I'm sitting at qualifies. :)

YWGinYYZ likes this.
  10. untouchable21

untouchable21 Here comes the WHITE: Operation 16W

Manager
    I don’t disagree, but our Jets have some serious gaps in their roster as well. Jets are basically a one line team with a bunch of individuals floating around on other lines save for the Lowry, Tanev, Copp line.

The way things are looking, Maurice is wasting a good chunk of Laine and Scheifele’s best years although Laine doesn’t really deserve to be lined up with Scheifele with his lack lustre play.

Btw, I’m a huge Laine fan. Just annoyed that he hasn’t progressed as a player enough to start driving his own line.

11. ps241

ps241 Registered User Sponsor

It’s even the goofy stuff like his overpaying Kris Russell 4 x $4 after the high of their playoff success. That and Luc are the true cap killers.

As Dax mentioned I like some of the kids in the pipeline but they have never got the Managment right have they?

12. Daximus

Daximus Aces Charles

Operator
    That old boys club has just been circulating guys. You have to wonder who actually calls the shots there too. To many old boys in the room. MacTavish needs to go, Chiarelli needs to go, Bill Scott needs to go, Bob Green needs to go, Scott Howson needs to go. Probably Sutter too. Not sure what Gretzky does there as AGM but maybe keep him around.

Their coaching staff actually isn't bad. Just ditch the upper management and hire some competent guys and they might not be a bad organization.

13. HannuJ

HannuJ Registered User

i feel constipated, so i'm going to watch the Leafs-Caps with the volume on full blast

14. DRW204

DRW204 Registered User

that Boston top line is stoopid

15. Neuf

Neuf Give 'em 5 like Patrik Laine

Remember that time no one in the league had scored on them and then Tanev scored a hatty on them?
    Edit, or at least scored .Was that the hat game?

16. LucianoBorsato

LucianoBorsato Registered User

Chemist
    Holy hell, the Hurricanes have almost 50 shots on goal tonight, still 10 minutes left in the 3rd. Jets better not take them lightly tomorrow.

Board Bard likes this.
  17. AlphaLackey

AlphaLackey Registered User

Math nerd
    McLellan can't go fast enough. Might be the last coach in the league who is openly derisive of even the most basic of stats formed after the Carter years.

18. LucianoBorsato

LucianoBorsato Registered User

Chemist
    Too bad about Elias Pettersson, I hate seeing these young kids just starting out getting head injuries. His head hit the ice when he fell, that's never good.

19. Neuf

Neuf Give 'em 5 like Patrik Laine

Lot of Central wins tonight, including a three pointer and an OT loss.

Going to be a powerhouse division again

20. Daximus

Daximus Aces Charles

Operator
    No one really got worse outside of us losing Stastny. St. Louis upgraded a ton, as did Dallas, Nashville added Hamhuis, Colorado got some development. It's going to be a tough division same as it ever was.

21. littlerocketboy

Hope not serious. Boeser last year now Pettersson.

22. Flair Hay

Flair Hay Registered User

Making airplanes
    Worst part about it is that if they stayed the course like we did they would have gotten out of that eventually.

I defended some of their trades like the Larsson trade and Eberle trade. But I'm definitely taking the L there now. They needed those guys even if they had terrible locker room chemistry there.

Oilers got the shot in the arm from making big changes for a season, but losing all that talent left them lacking offense.

Truly embarrassing for the Oilers if they dont make playoffs this year.

23. littlerocketboy

Don’t forget they game away their goalie yo Minny as well. I think that was pre-chia

24. Daximus

Daximus Aces Charles

Operator
    Holy **** Leafs fan are unbearable. The mains are basically a Leafs thread within 20 posts. The time we have feared has arrived. The Leafs are good, out of the gate.

Gm0ney and Mortimer Snerd like this.
  25. ps241

ps241 Registered User Sponsor

With their new coach they are kind of starting out with the Vegas Magic from last season so far this year. Now in saying that teams had a horrific record on the second leg of the back to back with Minni and Winni last season so we’ll see how their legs are tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.