Around the League 2018-19: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Last thread is here: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/around-the-league-2018-19.2513371/

Some posts from the previous thread to get us started:

This isn't sophomore jinx. Last year was beginner's luck.

How can a team led by coaching savant Gerrard Gallant be 1-3? Say it ain't so.

Excellent, Vegas is starting to have a tough 2nd year. As expected :>

With Vegas last year was amazing and the only prediction I made preseason is their #1 line would really struggle to capture last years level of glory. Reilly Smith was playing over his head.......Wild Bill had a career shooting % of under 10 coming into Vegas and he hit the lofty level of 24% last year. That is literally double what I think his career shooting % will end up at. I really like Marchessault but he is 27 and I felt the regression of Karlsson and Smith would hurt him this season. I think I said Karlsson would be lucky to get 25 goals this season and I am sticking with that.

As for the team I am not totally bailing on them quite yet. Fluery is at an .846 so far and he is much better than that although can he get back to the .927 of last season....I don’t think so and that will hurt. Also losing Nate Schmidt for the for 20 games hurts allot. That being said their goalie is due to get hot and it’s a long season.

Hoping Vegas keeps this up so by the time the Jets are playing them in Feb. people will be throwing tickets away just to get rid of them.

Keep on losing Vegas... can’t get all the bounces every year. Eventually the lack of talent will catch up with you

Holey crap Matthews scores twice again

He benefits from an awesome PP but he is actually playing 5v5 on a line with 56 year old Patrick Marleau and 4th line Kapanen. Now that’s what I call driving a line.

The team is riding an insane power play. I wonder how long they can keep scoring at will

It will run hot and cold like they all do but their scoring has been nuts so far this season. Rogers screwed me on the centre ice package so I haven’t watched the leafs yet.

Wheeler and Schiefele were gassed after that shift, didn't come back for defense

Not all wine and roses for the Golden Knights so far this year

Lol nice. Matthews is beasting.

Also Ron Hainsey: 2 goals on the season. :eek:

Some head scratching outcomes tonight

He'd be second on Jets :eek::eek:

No points but Joel Armia with 3 shots on net and 76% Corsi on the night tonight. The Habs look way better than I expected, even in defeats.

I get that +/- is a useless measure, but in 5 games, with 9 goals and 12 points, how do you be -1?

That's got to be pretty condemning for plus minus.

1-3 isn't much different than 2-2. so stop yer gloatings

the definition of insufferable = a blog post that shows Morgan Reilly's first-five-game point total matches a Bobby Orr record

I saw another article comparing Auston Matthews to Mario Lemieux, which I found even more insufferable.

We'd be doing the same with Laine if he'd had Matthews' start. Heck, in his first year there were tons of posts comparing him to Lemieux, even before he'd played a single NHL game.

Matthews has a 53 % shooting percentage and with 9 goals, his +/- is still -1. I know you don't usually put much stock in +/- but when a guy has the kind of start he's had and he's still on ice for more goals against than for you gotta wonder what happens when his play regresses to the mean.

I haven’t looked but remember, a PP goal won’t count towards that.

Reactions: snowkiddin

None

Feb 22, 2012

Significant things Chiarelli has done:

Jun. 26 - 2015 1st and 2nd rnd picks to NYI for Griffin Reinhart (Thanks for Kyle Connor)
Jun. 27 - 2015 2nd, 3rd, and 7th to NYR for Cam Talbot and a 2015 7th
Sep. 19 - Signed Oscar Klefbom to a 7 year extension worth 29.169m (4.167 AAV)

Feb. 27 - Justin Schultz to the Pittsburgh for a 2016 3rd
Jun. 29 - Taylor Hall to New Jersey for Adam Larsson
Jul. 1 - Signed Milan Lucic to a 7 year contract worth 42m (6 AAV)
Oct. 7 - Nail Yakupov to St Louis for Zach Pochiro and a conditional 3rd

Jun. 22 - Jordan Eberle to NYI for Ryan Strome
Jun. 23 - Signed Kris Russell to a 4 year contract worth 16m (4 AAV)
Jul. 5 - Signed Connor McDavid to an 8 year 100m extension (12.5 AAV)
Aug. 16 - Signed Leon Draisaitl to an 8 year 68m extension (8.5 AAV)

The only significant trade that he came out ahead on is the Talbot trade in my opinion. I didn't bother checking the draft picks and what became of those, I know the Oilers haven't done very well outside of the first.

How do you fix the Oilers? Trade a big asset like Draisaitl for smaller parts to fill the roster out more? Do you even trust Chiarelli to be able to make a trade like that after the Reinhart, Hall, and Eberle trades?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Jun. 26 - 2015 1st and 2nd rnd picks to NYI for Griffin Reinhart (Thanks for Kyle Connor)

The only significant trade that he came out ahead on is the Talbot trade in my opinion. I didn't bother checking the draft picks and what became of those, I know the Oilers haven't done very well outside of the first.

How do you fix the Oilers? Trade a big asset like Draisaitl for smaller parts to fill the roster out more? Do you even trust Chiarelli to be able to make a trade like that after the Reinhart, Hall, and Eberle trades?

I think you can probably even lump in the Schultz trade as not that great. Under McClellon I think he may have flourished a bit more. They have some great young players in Yamamoto, Bouchard, McLeod, Puljujarvi, Bear, Safin, Rasanen, Brind'Amour, Skinner and Rodrigue. They just have to fire Chiarelli, keep McClellon and get someone that won't run their team into the ground.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I think you can probably even lump in the Schultz trade as not that great. Under McClellon I think he may have flourished a bit more. They have some great young players in Yamamoto, Bouchard, McLeod, Puljujarvi, Bear, Safin, Rasanen, Brind'Amour, Skinner and Rodrigue. They just have to fire Chiarelli, keep McClellon and get someone that won't run their team into the ground.

Yeah, I just listed trades and signings that were significant in a good or bad way, the Schultz trade was bad regardless of any defensive woes he might have had at that point.

I think part of the problem is the timeline for some of those players, that team can't be stuck in development hell with a player like McDavid on their roster. By the time some of those players will be hitting their stride in the NHL they'll have likely burned through 3-4 years of McDavid's contract.

Take Hellebuyck's development path as an example for Skinner, it took Hellebuyck around 4-5 seasons post-draft to become a top starter in the NHL. Goalies are a crapshoot as well, so it's possible that he ends up more along the career trajectory of Comrie.
And maybe McLeod has a path to the NHL like Brandon Saad, but it's more likely that he takes a few extra years like Lowry or Copp who took 3-4 seasons post-draft to get to where they were better than your average bottom 6 players.

The timelines for the examples might be a season or two off, they were just off the top of my head, I think I might've underestimated the length of time for Copp and Lowry.

They're also in a bad position cap-wise and for whatever stupid reason Lucic was given a no move clause.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The reign of Chiarelli in Edmonton has been a disaster. The Reinhart trade was absolutely brutal at the time and it's about the worst-case-scenario in hindsight. Same goes for Hall-for-Larson. Just unfathomable how that happens. Worse because it was to clear room to sign Lucic to that shit-awful deal. The whole league is going skill and speed and these idiots trade away elite-level skill and speed to sign Lucic? For f***'s sake. :shakehead Downgrading Eberle to Strome was another bad move but not on the "this will be on the worst trade list for 100 years" level of those other two. The Klefbom signing is the only good thing Chia's done. I suppose locking up McDavid to play another 8 years in hockey hell should get a nod too. (Edit: I guess Talbot's also a positive...this brings Chia's score up to an F- from F--).

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
There must be some owner shenanigans in the background this last decade. No team can mess up this bad continually.

Perhaps oilers need a new mascot? An evil pagan type god/mascot that would sacrifice goats and small woodland creatures. Imagine Gritty wearing a Leather loin cloth with knife clenched in teeth. totally rid the team of bad karma.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Hmm, are people writing off the Oilers this year because they have lost their first two games? I think we have some experience with that situation.

Reactions: Hobby Bull

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Hmm, are people writing off the Oilers this year because they have lost their first two games? I think we have some experience with that situation.
The Oilers suck. They're horribly constructed, with massive gaps in their lineup. Chia has set them back many years with his lopsided trades, and will waste a good chunk of McDavid's best years because of it.

Why do you think they're being underrated?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The Oilers suck. They're horribly constructed, with massive gaps in their lineup. Chia has set them back many years with his lopsided trades, and will waste a good chunk of McDavid's best years because of it.

They may be "rated" just right for all I know. But games are played on the ice, not on paper. Sometimes teams can surprise and be better than expected. Just like teams can be worse than expected. I'm just not prepared to banish the Oilers to this year's scrap heap based on early returns. This falls into the jinx category for me. As in, if I predict a certain outcome, there is a good likelihood that the opposite will happen. Now, you'll have to excuse me, I need to go find some wood to touch and I'm not sure this cheap Walmart desk I'm sitting at qualifies. :)

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

I don’t disagree, but our Jets have some serious gaps in their roster as well. Jets are basically a one line team with a bunch of individuals floating around on other lines save for the Lowry, Tanev, Copp line.

The way things are looking, Maurice is wasting a good chunk of Laine and Scheifele’s best years although Laine doesn’t really deserve to be lined up with Scheifele with his lack lustre play.

Btw, I’m a huge Laine fan. Just annoyed that he hasn’t progressed as a player enough to start driving his own line.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The reign of Chiarelli in Edmonton has been a disaster. The Reinhart trade was absolutely brutal at the time and it's about the worst-case-scenario in hindsight. Same goes for Hall-for-Larson. Just unfathomable how that happens. Worse because it was to clear room to sign Lucic to that ****-awful deal. The whole league is going skill and speed and these idiots trade away elite-level skill and speed to sign Lucic? For ****'s sake. :shakehead Downgrading Eberle to Strome was another bad move but not on the "this will be on the worst trade list for 100 years" level of those other two. The Klefbom signing is the only good thing Chia's done. I suppose locking up McDavid to play another 8 years in hockey hell should get a nod too. (Edit: I guess Talbot's also a positive...this brings Chia's score up to an F- from F--).

It’s even the goofy stuff like his overpaying Kris Russell 4 x $4 after the high of their playoff success. That and Luc are the true cap killers.

As Dax mentioned I like some of the kids in the pipeline but they have never got the Managment right have they?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It’s even the goofy stuff like his overpaying Kris Russell 4 x $4 after the high of their playoff success. That and Luc are the true cap killers.

As Dax mentioned I like some of the kids in the pipeline but they have never got the Managment right have they?

That old boys club has just been circulating guys. You have to wonder who actually calls the shots there too. To many old boys in the room. MacTavish needs to go, Chiarelli needs to go, Bill Scott needs to go, Bob Green needs to go, Scott Howson needs to go. Probably Sutter too. Not sure what Gretzky does there as AGM but maybe keep him around.

Their coaching staff actually isn't bad. Just ditch the upper management and hire some competent guys and they might not be a bad organization.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
that Boston top line is stoopid
Remember that time no one in the league had scored on them and then Tanev scored a hatty on them?
Edit, or at least scored .Was that the hat game?

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

McLellan can't go fast enough. Might be the last coach in the league who is openly derisive of even the most basic of stats formed after the Carter years.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Too bad about Elias Pettersson, I hate seeing these young kids just starting out getting head injuries. His head hit the ice when he fell, that's never good.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Lot of Central wins tonight, including a three pointer and an OT loss.

Going to be a powerhouse division again

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Lot of Central wins tonight, including a three pointer and an OT loss.

Going to be a powerhouse division again

No one really got worse outside of us losing Stastny. St. Louis upgraded a ton, as did Dallas, Nashville added Hamhuis, Colorado got some development. It's going to be a tough division same as it ever was.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Worst part about it is that if they stayed the course like we did they would have gotten out of that eventually.

I defended some of their trades like the Larsson trade and Eberle trade. But I'm definitely taking the L there now. They needed those guys even if they had terrible locker room chemistry there.

Oilers got the shot in the arm from making big changes for a season, but losing all that talent left them lacking offense.

Truly embarrassing for the Oilers if they dont make playoffs this year.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Holy hell, the Hurricanes have almost 50 shots on goal tonight, still 10 minutes left in the 3rd. Jets better not take them lightly tomorrow.

With their new coach they are kind of starting out with the Vegas Magic from last season so far this year. Now in saying that teams had a horrific record on the second leg of the back to back with Minni and Winni last season so we’ll see how their legs are tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad