Around the League 2018-19: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Don't like the Leafs but definitely no denying Marner and Matthews are fantastic. Matthews probably has the best wrist shot in the league.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Not to nitpick but I make it 33+.
Marner - 10
Tavares - 11
Matthews - 12 - or more

Never mind ppg pace, Matthews is on a gpg pace. This is the guy who scored 4 in his first NHL game. If he can stay healthy he is going to challenge McDavid. If he had played the same number of games at the same pace this year he would be 5 pts ahead of McD, 11 goals ahead.

Leafs appear to me to be nuts not to have traded Nylander by now. Just no way they can squeeze all of that under the cap.

They can sign him long term or to a bridge and trade him to another team this offseason. No point in doing it yet because no one is offering an equivalent D for little willy

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They can sign him long term or to a bridge and trade him to another team this offseason. No point in doing it yet because no one is offering an equivalent D for little willy

You don't know what has been offered. They have been insisting that he won't be traded.

So far they haven't been able to sign him to anything. They have less than 2 days left.

Yes, signed he should be easier to trade - and there doesn't need to be any rush - if he was signed.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Don't like the Leafs but definitely no denying Marner and Matthews are fantastic. Matthews probably has the best wrist shot in the league.

Even I have to admit the video of the clutch Leafs trainer giving Marner a new stick as he sped past the bench and then immediately scoring a goal was pretty good. That makes for a fun highlight.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
During the off season I was one of the few that wanted the Jets to sign Scott Darling, turns out that is wasn't a good idea then and probably not a good idea now that he was put on waivers.
Lots of posters with wrong pontification over goaltending over the past two seasons.

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
During the off season I was one of the few that wanted the Jets to sign Scott Darling, turns out that is wasn't a good idea then and probably not a good idea now that he was put on waivers.

I liked him too. This year I thought we should have traded a 7th for Pickard. He looked good last year. This year? Nope. Goalies, hoodoos!

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
You don't know what has been offered. They have been insisting that he won't be traded.

So far they haven't been able to sign him to anything. They have less than 2 days left.

Yes, signed he should be easier to trade - and there doesn't need to be any rush - if he was signed.

He will sign, hes not going to sit out the full season. He's just taking it down to the wire to see if the new kid will blink first.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
My hope is that Marner continues on this tear and separates himself from Kyle Connor, I think Marner is going to get paid 9+ million dollars and I don't want him to be in the ballpark where he can be used as a comparable for Kyle Connor.

On the other hand, would be tough for the Leafs to justify not paying Marner a similar dollar figure as Matthews if he keeps this up.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He will sign, hes not going to sit out the full season. He's just taking it down to the wire to see if the new kid will blink first.

Probably - but he really is playing this for all its worth. Imagine this board if Trouba had held out this long 2 years ago. :laugh:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
They seem to me like the cut and dry clear cut favourite this year. They will steamroll the rest of their division come playoff time (as good as their div opponents are).

If you hate excessive Toronto media coverage, this isnt going to be a fun year lol
It's not even December. Personally I think they're last year's Jets. Lose in the conference finals to Tampa.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Has scoring in the league gone up in the last few years? I mean, I know it's nothing like when Gretzky played but has calling the obstruction and hooking allowed more scoring? I know, that the reffing is far from perfect and that we take more penalties than we should and get less calls for us than we should. From a league perspective has scoring gone up? I see more 7-?? games than I used to. There seems to be several players on pace for 50 goals this season. I could be completely wrong, as I sometimes- cough cough, often am- but this is a legit question.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
The Jets' own GM has been far more wrong that right about goaltending over the past eight seasons...
go through the list, including prospects, and tell me how. and please have numbers or other examples from other clubs as a point of reference.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
news flash:
most GMs are "wrong" about goaltending over the past 8 seasons.
Well then it seems a little harsh to be calling out the posters here for betting on the wrong horses... :laugh:

go through the list, including prospects, and tell me how. and please have numbers or other examples from other clubs as a point of reference.
Draft:
Jason Kasdorf
Connor Hellebuyck
Jamie Phillips
Eric Comrie
Mikhail Berdin
Arvid Holm
Jared Moe

UFA:
David Aebischer
Al Montoya
Mark Dekanich
Jussi Olkinuora
Michael Hutchinson
Tyler Beskorowany
Steve Mason
Ken Appleby

Trade:
Jonas Gustavsson
Peter Budaj

Is that everyone? How many average-or-better goalies do you count on that list? 1, maybe, we hope? Well, it's only been 8 years...

On top of that auspicious record, Chevy also:
- Tried to re-sign Chris Mason after the 2011-12 season even though the only team that he managed to beat was the even-worse-than-the-Jets Carolina Hurricanes.
- Gave Pavelec 5 years worth of rope so his master plan (?) of grooming a 5th round NAHL Jackalope to become a Vezina finalist would bear fruit at some point.
- Bet 2 x $4.1M on Steve Mason - where was Mason going after Philly signed Elliott? The song stopped on goalie musical chairs and the only chair left was in Winnipeg. At least it only ended up costing money $4.1M for one year of backup work and a useful roster player...?

Philly's done worse, sure. They fired Hextall over it. Nill's done a pretty bad job with goalies too. So Chevy's not dead-last, I guess.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Well then it seems a little harsh to be calling out the posters here for betting on the wrong horses... :laugh:

Draft:
Jason Kasdorf
Connor Hellebuyck
Jamie Phillips
Eric Comrie
Mikhail Berdin
Arvid Holm
Jared Moe

UFA:
David Aebischer
Al Montoya
Mark Dekanich
Jussi Olkinuora
Michael Hutchinson
Tyler Beskorowany
Steve Mason
Ken Appleby

Trade:
Jonas Gustavsson
Peter Budaj

Is that everyone? How many average-or-better goalies do you count on that list? 1, maybe, we hope? Well, it's only been 8 years...

- Tried to re-sign Chris Mason after the 2011-12 season even though the only team that he managed to beat was the even-worse-than-the-Jets Carolina Hurricanes.
- Gave Pavelec 5 years worth of rope so his master plan (?) of grooming a 5th round NAHL Jackalope to become a Vezina finalist would bear fruit at some point.
- Bet 2 x $4.1M on Steve Mason - where was Mason going after Philly signed Elliott? The song stopped on goalie musical chairs and the only chair left was in Winnipeg. At least it only ended up costing money $4.1M for one year of backup work and a useful roster player...?

Philly's done worse, sure. They fired Hextall over it. Nill's done a pretty bad job with goalies too. So Chevy's not dead-last, I guess.
Yeah there really is no argument that Chevy's done a good job with goalies. I still have faith in Helle but every other goaltender he brought in, save Montoya in a backup role and Hutch for ~30 games, have been awful.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

Draft:
Jason Kasdorf
Connor Hellebuyck
Jamie Phillips
Eric Comrie
Mikhail Berdin
Arvid Holm
Jared Moe

UFA:
David Aebischer
Al Montoya
Mark Dekanich
Jussi Olkinuora
Michael Hutchinson
Tyler Beskorowany
Steve Mason
Ken Appleby

Trade:
Jonas Gustavsson
Peter Budaj

so...all a team needs to do is strike goalie gold once, then they're fine.
Blues have screwed up quite a bit.
Leafs did until Anderson.
the Devils?
Calgary as well.
Flyers have 1-2 prospects, but hey, jets have Berdin that looks good.
Kings have had lots of luck (up until lately).
Carolina's had issues.
Arizona's had issues.
Edmonton's had a decade's worth of issues.

i mean, that's my 3 minute mental overview of goaltending.
not every team can be LA or nashville or the Ducks. those are the outliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad