Around the League 2018-19 Offseason Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
$9.5M per. Good deal for the Lightning, he could have easily gotten $10+ on the market. I'll be honest though this could finally let the EK trade dominos fall. Lightning now know Kucherov's cap hit next year and know exactly how much they need to move to make it work. IMO this signing virtually guarantees Johnson, Callahan, Coburn will be traded.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
They'll find takers for Killorn, Johnson, maybe even Palat. Callahan will be dumped off somewhere I'm sure.

Right now, they only have $13 mil or so projected in cap space for next year with Point, Gourde and presumably Karlsson with the Kucherov deal in place. Coburn, Stralman and Girardi are all done after this coming season.

Shall be interesting to watch play out.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Does this signal that TB is passing on a current deal for EK and are just going to try to sign him next year as a UFA?
Who knows at this point... Maybe they wanted to sign Kucherov so they didn't get Karlsson at an extension before that was solved.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
This doesn't change a thing in my mind. They now know what they're working with for next year cap wise with Kucherov signed. They know who they can get rid of (Callahan, Killorn, Johnson, even Palat?) and who's coming off the books (Stralman, Girardi, Coburn). Think this might be the final domino to fall before the trade gets done.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This doesn't change a thing in my mind. They now know what they're working with for next year cap wise with Kucherov signed. They know who they can get rid of (Callahan, Killorn, Johnson, even Palat?) and who's coming off the books (Stralman, Girardi, Coburn). Think this might be the final domino to fall before the trade gets done.

I thought the last domino was the Zajac no trade clause or was it the Maroon signing?

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Lockout related is my guess. Look at Tavares' contract structure: John Tavares - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
There is also the issue that the bulk of the value is in signing bonuses.

IIRC, signing bonuses are 100% taxable in your home state (read: state-tax free in Florida), while the Base/Salaried portion is paid periodically through the season and is taxable per the states you play in. So while another 50+% of games will be played in Florida for TB players, some portion of the *rest* of the base is taxable in the other states where games are played.

TL;DR Signing bonuses give bigger advantages to states with no state income tax.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
Let all of these guys walk. Could care less about Maroon, Moore, etc. I also don't want to help Tampa out by picking up Ryan Callahan. Keep some roster spots open and let the kids get after it in training camp. We were surprised last year with Bratt and co and there's no reason we can't be surprised again.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
How is this not tax evasion?

Maybe it's not NHL Cap circumvention... but..... like... IRS circumvention haha
There is no maybe about it, it's not cap circumvention since signing bonuses don't even benefit the team.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Does this signal that TB is passing on a current deal for EK and are just going to try to sign him next year as a UFA?

I don't think that it changes much. This extension has no bearing on the current year financial figures with regards to the cap, nor will EK's extension. I think if they were going after EK, the main thing was going to be clearing cap in future years. I did a run up on another board projecting a salary of 9.0 - 10 aav for Kucherov's extension and how they make it work. They get quite a bit of salary back next year from UFA who they were never going to re-sign. Girardi and Coburn come off the books, which is 6.7 mil and more than makes up the new cap figure for Kucherov.

Just going to be a situation where they have to navigate the cap every year. They should get some relief from increased caps as well I would imagine in the future.

Reactions: My3Sons

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
There is no maybe about it, it's not cap circumvention since signing bonuses don't even benefit the team.
I agree it's not cap evasion. But it's definitely tilting the playing field if the team structures salary in a way of sheltering tax dollars.

If a no state-tax state arranged for $60M to be in signing bonuses in a given year, they might have some $5M+ extra "purchasing power" for labor (e.g. players) over a state like NJ.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I agree it's not cap evasion. But it's definitely tilting the playing field if the team structures salary in a way of sheltering tax dollars.

If a no state-tax state arranged for $60M to be in signing bonuses in a given year, they might have some $5M+ extra "purchasing power" for labor (e.g. players) over a state like NJ.
No or lower tax states have always had an advantage in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad