Around the League 2018-19 Offseason Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Idk why Anaheim retiring Nieds' jersey pisses me off so much. But it does.
it's stupid, that's why. he already had his jersey retired by us. he was there a grand total of FIVE YEARS.

the only reason i can think of, justification purposes wise, is because he's stuck around as a special assignments coach. well, that and he was essential to their winning a cup for the first time. BUT THAT'D BE THE SAME AS US RETIRING RICHER'S 44, JUST BECAUSE HE WAS THERE TO PUT US OVER THE EDGE.

Reactions: nugg

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Ahahahahahaha holy shit

yeah, guy secretly hates the franchise that did nothing to build around him and having no arena stability

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Not to pile on (well maybe a little) but...

mj-laughing.gif

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don’t know. Anaheim retiring Nieds number was to be expected for me. When you think about it. They’re not an old franchise and currently I think Selanne and maybe Kariya are their only retired numbers? Did they even retire Kariya’s number? They might not have.

And Nieds was the captain for their only cup team and still works for the organization, so it’s logical they would retire his number. And plus, it’s not like he only played there for a minute and a half like Bourque did for Colorado. And at least we retired his number first.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They're retiring Kariya's number this year as well.
Yeah that makes sense.

Those are their 3 HOF guys who are at least associated as Ducks or played there for a significant length of time. Pronger only played there for like a minute and played for a bunch of other teams. Kariya is remembered more as a Duck than anything, as is Selanne, and Nieds captained their only cup team/won the Conn Smythe and works for them still. I figured that's the only 3 they'd retire for a while. Maybe Perry or Getzlaf get up there eventually. I could see them one day going Giguere, but I would say they probably won't.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Yeah that makes sense.

Those are their 3 HOF guys who are at least associated as Ducks or played there for a significant length of time. Pronger only played there for like a minute and played for a bunch of other teams. Kariya is remembered more as a Duck than anything, as is Selanne, and Nieds captained their only cup team/won the Conn Smythe and works for them still. I figured that's the only 3 they'd retire for a while. Maybe Perry or Getzlaf get up there eventually. I could see them one day going Giguere, but I would say they probably won't.

Niedermayer played less than 400 games with the Ducks. Kariya just over 600.
Giguere played the same amount of seasons as Kariya and has a cup and a Smythe trophy while on the team. Getzlaf and Perry should both crack 1000 games with them. They all belong with the standards set.

To put it in perspective, The Devils have 14 players who played more games than Kariya with the team. This doesn't include Scott Gomez who has played the exact same amount at 606 games.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i dont understand lou about the window thing. if thats not how it was intended to work then how is it intended to work?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
i dont understand lou about the window thing. if thats not how it was intended to work then how is it intended to work?

I think it was intended to be a week where teams can reach out and pitch their case to free agents and then the free agent decides on July 1st.

Instead, free agents still decide almost immediately but then have to wait a week until they can sign the document that they agreed to a week ago.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Technically you’re not supposed to exchange contract numbers, but it happens all the time, same with the NBA that has its own windows.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Niedermayer played less than 400 games with the Ducks. Kariya just over 600.
Giguere played the same amount of seasons as Kariya and has a cup and a Smythe trophy while on the team. Getzlaf and Perry should both crack 1000 games with them. They all belong with the standards set.

To put it in perspective, The Devils have 14 players who played more games than Kariya with the team. This doesn't include Scott Gomez who has played the exact same amount at 606 games.

according to New Jersey Devils Skaters | Hockey-Reference.com its 16 players not including gomez (including marty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad