Around the League 2018-19 Offseason Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Isn't Ana going to need cap relief in the not to distant future?

They've got 58.5 million committed to 2019-20 with Gibson and Silfverberg needing new deals, so they'll probably be okay. Plus Kesler probably ends up on LTIR if his body continues to break down, which is pretty likely given the type of mileage on it.

By the time Rico's contract could become a problem they'll be at the end of the Getzlaf and Perry contracts, so they can probably dump them or buy them out if necessary.

Reactions: Smitty426

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
The league did have a independent doctor check out Hossa an his LTIR went to the league for approval.
air-quotes.gif

"Independent doctor"

I think it was Dr Nick from the Simpsons.

Either him or perhaps Dr. Spaceman from 30 Rock.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The league did have a independent doctor check out Hossa an his LTIR went to the league for approval.

why did they have to trade hossa anyway? couldn't he just be put on LTIR and his cap hit doesn't count? same with pronger why did they need to trade him when he was LTIR?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
why did they have to trade hossa anyway? couldn't he just be put on LTIR and his cap hit doesn't count? same with pronger why did they need to trade him when he was LTIR?
The condensed explanation is that you can't put a player on LTIR until the start of the season, so they have to be cap compliant with Hossa's contract counting towards the cap at the beginning of the seaons, then move him to LTIR. Sometimes you can get away with this by temporarily shuffling players to the AHL but it can be difficult for some teams against the cap.

I'm not sure, but I think you also don't accrue unused cap space as the season progresses either.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I'm not sure, but I think you also don't accrue unused cap space as the season progresses either.

Correct. If all your player salaries, including the players on LTIR, take you over the cap then you do not accumulate any cap space to use later in the season.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Regarding Panarin, I wonder if it's a matter of wanting to return to Russia than ataying in the NHL/Columbus.

Seems like the issue is just him not wanting to commit to living in Columbus for the better part of the next decade. It was interesting that his agent had to come out and refute a rumor that Panarin wants a big market club in order to aid his significant other's modeling career.

Camille the Eel

Seems like the issue is just him not wanting to commit to living in Columbus for the better part of the next decade. It was interesting that his agent had to come out and refute a rumor that Panarin wants a big market club in order to aid his significant other's modeling career.
He’s the most significant player on the market. Better than Tavares, as good as JT is. JT is basically a grinder, the best lacrosse player in hockey. Not a great skater though extremely strong on his skates, then uses his body to shield the puck and work his way into scoring positions, or to make tick tack passes.

But the bread man is another beast entirely. Amazingly creative for everyone around him. Great skater with vision, hands, strength. The total package. Should have been in the Hart conversation this year.

50/50 that Columbus does not or cannot move him before the season. The situation may drift. If there is a deal it may be a blockbuster because he warrants that kind of return, even for a year, if he indicates he’s willing to extend where he’s traded.

Watch this one develop. Maybe back to Chicago? Or Dallas or L.A.? The Rangers? But who has the pieces to satisfy Columbus and make them jump.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
He’s the most significant player on the market. Better than Tavares, as good as JT is. JT is basically a grinder, the best lacrosse player in hockey. Not a great skater though extremely strong on his skates, then uses his body to shield the puck and work his way into scoring positions, or to make tick tack passes.

But the bread man is another beast entirely. Amazingly creative for everyone around him. Great skater with vision, hands, strength. The total package. Should have been in the Hart conversation this year.

50/50 that Columbus does not or cannot move him before the season. The situation may drift. If there is a deal it may be a blockbuster because he warrants that kind of return, even for a year, if he indicates he’s willing to extend where he’s traded.

Watch this one develop. Maybe back to Chicago? Or Dallas or L.A.? The Rangers? But who has the pieces to satisfy Columbus and make them jump.

Better than Tavares eh? I'd tend to disagree.

Camille the Eel

Better than Tavares eh? I'd tend to disagree.
Interesting thing is that you could have a legitimate debate about it. They are therefore in the same elite class. Reasonable people can disagree on which one.

For my bucks, Panarin for Karlsson. Columbus and Ottawa. Straight up fair deal. That’s how highly I think of him. (Just musing here, this is not fully serious, it’s summer what?).

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
that's such a ridiculous trade proposition from ottawas side that it's not even really worth going into

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Rumor for Panarin was Florida, NY, Chicago, and LA were his preferred destinations.

Hopefully his preference for that is just proximity to those locations rather than playing for those teams. Maybe the Devils could get involved as a serious candidate if it’s the former.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Upper body looks more form fitting, which is good.

Appleby said he doesn’t feel protected around his neck area, which is bad. Might make sense to wear the plastic piece Marty liked to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad